cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Right PSU for Rampage III Black Edition

Z3roSix
Level 7
I have ordered the rampage II black edition , i read somewhere it has 2 8pin connectors for cpu , is that correct? i have a coolermaster 850w and it has only 2 4bin connectors
im planning on having:

Core i7 Extreme
12 Gb ram
2x Asus 3870x2 Crossfire
1 SSD and 4 HDDs
a DVD drive and the Corsair H70 for cpu cooling

will i be ok or do i need new psu?.

Thanks 😄

P.S All on Stock clock , i don't intend to do any O/C until warranty expires 🙂
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Humans TOP 3 best friends:

1.Dogs
2.Google Search
3.Zip Tie
8 REPLIES 8

Raja
Level 13
That PSU is fine. The extra 8 pin connector is for extreme overclocking only when the CPU starts to draw a lot of current.

-Raja

Thanks a lot 🙂
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1.Dogs
2.Google Search
3.Zip Tie

Retired
Not applicable
I agree that power supply is just fine

Z3roSix
Level 7
Hello guys its being a while ive made a post.

I finally got money to finish my system, but i would like to ask something abour power cosumption.

Intel 980x
Rampage 3 BE
Corsair dominator 12gb (6x2)
OCZ Revo drive
Corsair H100
Asus 6990
Asus Thunderbolt
4 sata hdd (optional)
6x120mm fan

This is my system, will it run on my existing 850w psu? and if not what i need to "cut" to work? cause if change my psu i must change my UPS and then thats almost 700$ up which i wont have for a while :P.

Thanks in advance.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1.Dogs
2.Google Search
3.Zip Tie

Noein
Level 7
why you aren`t investing money into sandy bridge ?
anyway check how much volage needs your gfx + cpu I got 4 hhds +gtx 560ti and i7 950 oced running on 750 W gold psu and all works fine. There are online PSU W calculators just write it in uncle google ;]

Z3roSix
Level 7
Well i already tried that but i don't know some things such as how much power do i lose since my psu is over 2 years old. I will probably barly make it :P, ill just cut some of the old hdds :D.

And as for your first question the answer is i already had a the m/b and cpu, else i would definitly would go for the new socket :).

In any case i just wanted a second opinion because calculators vary a little from the actual thing.

Anyway thanks for the quick response.

Cheers
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1.Dogs
2.Google Search
3.Zip Tie

Retired
Not applicable
You should be fine running an 850 watt especially if it is a 80plus PSU. Keep in mind the more your OC the CPU the more you will draw but at stock configurations you have no issues running your system.

Z3roSix
Level 7
Well everything turned out fine since the the rig is up and running although i actually put 990x instead of 980x not much difference though :), also i had some difficulties founding the 6990 the reseller told they don't make those anymore :S but i managed to found a stock piece (lucky me :D). Anyway thnx all for the replies :D.

Regards

P.S I kept hearing problems for Rampage 3 BE and Thunderbold and some ticking noise on 6990 the past few months but for what it's worth MY
litle asus thingies work perfect no crashes no bios problems no ticking noise, so im encouraging people to buy them if the want to invest in a X58 that is.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

1.Dogs
2.Google Search
3.Zip Tie