cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Should I swap my i7 960 & Rampage III Gene for a FX 8350 & ASUS Crosshair V Formula-Z

Hartacus
Level 10
17 REPLIES 17

Tenshi
Level 7
If you read reviews of V Formula-Z, you'll know that has new features, but lack of few things people wanted; and took away others; so based on reviews i read, i can't recommend V Formula-Z, instead of the old one, but that just my opinion.

driftingforlife
Level 10
Stick with the i7. It you want more power you could look for a 2nd hand 970 or go with a 3770k.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Only if you wish to have a step down in performance over what you have.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Only if you wish to have a step down in performance over what you have.

That's straight up cold bro ... and with all due respect .. step down on what level ??
Do you really mean to suggest that the V/8350 with 7970 couldnt keep up in 'game' ?
Correct me if I am wrong .. I know someone will .. but doesn't that 8350 hold the OC record ???
And doesnt that 7970 play so much better with its 'own kind' (AMD) ...
I have yet to see any evidence that intel is 'more' other than price .. no offense to the OCworld.

OP ... guess my answer. Yes .. although what you have is ROG'n.c.

HiVizMan
Level 40
LOL Chris does sound a bit cold I agree and sorry about that.

The HD7970 is my card of choice as you well know. But the single threaded performance of the Bulldozer is not good compared to either the Phenom or any of the Intel offerings including the CPU the OP has. True that AMD has the frequency record, but then a LGA775 5 generation old Intel Celeron held it before and no one is going to claim that those old Celeron processors are going to out perform any of the later Intel offerings. And frequency sadly does not mean anything when it comes to performance when comparing platforms. I had my 8150 at 7.65GHz, and ran WPrime at 7.1GHz it was still slower in time taken than a stock Sandy Bridge 2500K. 🙂

I could have worded it a touch better I accept. And duly consider myself rapped on the knuckles and accept my punishment.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

mandarpalshikar
Level 7
@OP - What is your motivation behind the move ? Are you not satisfied with your current config or unable to run games as per your expectations? I'm sure your current config is handling everything perfectly. If you can throw light on this maybe "chrsplmr" and "HiVizMan" will suggest alternatives.

If you want to go for extreme OC then yes.... go for 8350.
CPU + Mobo :: Core i5 3570K + Asus Maximus V Formula
CPU Cooler :: Corsair H80
GFX :: Asus HD7950 Direct CUII + Sapphire HD7950 Dual-X
RAM :: GSkill TridentX 2400 CL10 16GB
Storage :: Corsair SSD - 60GB + Seagate Baracuda - 1TB
PSU :: Corsair AX 850
Cabinet :: Silverstone Raven RV03
Keyboard + Mouse :: Logitech G110 + Razer DeathAdder
Audio :: JBL Creature III + Razer Megalodon 7.1
Display :: AOC e2352Phz

chrsplmr
Level 18
Sandy and Ivy, the double mint twins .. yum.

chrsplmr~bows~ to theHiVizMan's superior experience - now thats warm and toasty ..
and unarguable ... thankYou goodSir.

OP ... I'd listen to the Viz ... he has beat on them All ..
A few questions remain:
What do you wish to do with your rig ?? Then to the Members .. what accomplishes
this the best ??

Best of Luck in all you seek ... (my apologies for any tongue in cheek..meant no offense.).c.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Yeah you have it spot on Chris, it is all about what you want to do with your system.