this is my laptop:

Laptop Specifications

Medion X7811 / MD97327 DE
Processor ::
Intel Core i7-720QM 1.6 GHz
Motherboard ::
Intel PM55
Memory ::
8291MB, 2x 4096 MByte DDR3-10600 (1333 MHz)
:: Graphics
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5870 - 1024 MB, Core: 700 MHz, Memory: 1000 MHz, GDDR5, 8.690.0.0
Display ::
17.0 inch 16:10, 1440x900 pixel, SEC4A47, glossy: yes
Hard Drive ::
Vertex 2 - 120 GB (IDE MODE)
Sound ::
Realtek ALC888/1200 @ Intel Ibex Peak PCH - High Definition Audio Controller
Connections ::
1 Express Card 54mm, 4 USB 2.0, 1 Firewire, 1 VGA, 1 HDMI, 1 Infrared, 1 Kensington Lock, 1 eSata, Audio Connections: 4x Audio (headphong / digital out + SPDIF, microphone, line-out, line-in), Card Reader: MMC, SD, MS, MS Pro,
Networking ::
Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller (10/100/1000MBit), Realtek RTL8191SE Wireless LAN 802.11n PCI-E NIC (bgn), 2.1 Bluetooth
Optical drive ::
TSSTcorp CDDVDW SN-S083C

So I want to try and overclock this laptop, it has a cooling stand so it should be possible I think?

I can't find any bios updates on the Intel PM55 and I'm very limited in the bios, any ideas how I can overclock the CPU/GPU safely without damaging it? it's running quite slow compared to my signature pc haha, I'd love to hear some suggestions
Desktop
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K
GPU: AORUS GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8GB
Mobo: Maximus V Formula
RAM: G.Skill RipjawsZ 32GB DDR3
Cooler: Noctua NH-D14
Disk: SSD 1.5TB
Disk: HDD 2TB
PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000W
Display: Samsung Odyssey G7 QLED 27", 1ms, 240hz, 1440p, 10-bit, HDR600
Speakers: KRK RP7 G4

Laptop - Asus ROG GL702VS-GC198T
CPU: Intel Core i7-7700HQ
GPU: GeForce GTX 1070 8GB
Display: 1920x1080 @75Hz, IPS, G-Sync, 1ms
RAM: 16GB DDR4
Disk: M2 SSD 256GB
Disk: HDD 1TB
8 REPLIES 8

piotrtekien
Level 10
I'm running windows 8 by the way, it isn't fully compatible but so far I've been having no critical issues with the windows 7 drivers

I'm switching back to windows 7 this/next weekend by the way.
Desktop

Best advice is don't bother. It won't likely give you enough of a performance improvement to warrant the increase in heat. Laptops aren't designed for OC'ing. You may be able to download gputweak from ASUS and do a mild OC on your graphics card. Apart from that, if you want an increase in performance, get a new laptop.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

piotrtekien
Level 10
Thanks, will do. I'll just tweak the hell out of it as much as I can and that'll have to do.
run all features from: ccleaner + tuneup utilities 2013
turn off:
paging file
system restore
superfetch
turn on:
high performance mode

Disable Hibernation

And that should cover the optimization I guess, right?
Desktop

piotrtekien wrote:
Thanks, will do. I'll just tweak the hell out of it as much as I can and that'll have to do.
run all features from: ccleaner + tuneup utilities 2013
turn off:
paging file
system restore
superfetch
turn on:
high performance mode

Disable Hibernation

And that should cover the optimization I guess, right?

Turning off the paging file would be a VERY bad idea. As I say: It's all fun and games until you find yourself in a thrashing situation. Superfetch is also something you would want to leave enabled. System restore you can turn off if you want, but don't expect it to give you any kind of performance benefit.

CCleaner is a program I generally discourage people from using. It's a scalpel of a tool that people seem to mistake for a shotgun. It is/was intended for people who understand the potential benefits and negative consequences of every option, not to mention how to recover should something go wrong. It has very specific and targeted uses, but too many people use it as a panacea for everything short of the common cold.

Tune up programs I have very poorly disguised contempt for. I consider the whole lot of them to be scams. At best they can claim to be automation programs, providing a centralized interface for making changes to the system. However, they would then fall under the same general description as CCleaner. Intended for those who understand what each option does, what could go wrong, and how to deal with things if they do go wrong.

I'm most certain sorry to say, your statement is invalid in my situation.
I've been using both software for over 2 years now and I haven't even had ONE problem, I do my work thoroughly, and when something goes wrong I don't hesitate and just reinstall the system, simple as that. it only takes me 1 hour to put windows 7 on my usb and reinstall my whole system together with all the software, I keep all my data external.

because of the extreme fast ssd speeds Vertex 2 offers, you don't need paging file/superfetch because it only ****s my SSD and continues to do read/write operations, I do not want that.

You're way too focussed on your own opinion about these types of software, that just depends on the person, sure you may be right for some part but it just doesn't count in my situation. I never managed to **** up anything critical, so far... so good. I'm not regretting anything, trust me 🙂
Desktop

you'll probably reply like, that's your risk to take. I agree, it's my risk. I'm just trying to extend the life on my SSD considering I do an insane amount of read/write operations every day on my SSD's @ Laptop/Desktop pc
Desktop

piotrtekien wrote:
I'm most certain sorry to say, your statement is invalid in my situation.
I've been using both software for over 2 years now and I haven't even had ONE problem, I do my work thoroughly, and when something goes wrong I don't hesitate and just reinstall the system, simple as that. it only takes me 1 hour to put windows 7 on my usb and reinstall my whole system together with all the software, I keep all my data external.

because of the extreme fast ssd speeds Vertex 2 offers, you don't need paging file/superfetch because it only ****s my SSD and continues to do read/write operations, I do not want that.

You're way too focussed on your own opinion about these types of software, that just depends on the person, sure you may be right for some part but it just doesn't count in my situation. I never managed to **** up anything critical, so far... so good. I'm not regretting anything, trust me 🙂

You haven't had a single problem that you're aware of. When I was slogging my way through some of the material needed for a certification, one of the sections was on ESD. What happens when you damage a component with ESD is that you blast microscopic holes in the component. Depending on where the holes end up being, you might be able to carry on for some time before you need to utilize one of the damaged parts of the device. So in response to the typical response of "I've been repairing computers for years without any kind of ESD protection, and never had a problem" they very rightly respond with: How do you know? Short of putting every component through a very high resolution x-ray scanner, there's no real way of seeing the damage.

Plus, your experiences do not constitute the sum total of everyone else out there. Web forums are absolutely littered with people who were playing with the digital equivalent of matches, and burned the house down.

The page file... You can turn it off if you want. It won't help performance, and you are tempting fate by doing so. Do a little research into a condition known as thrashing. That is what happens when the computer runs out of RAM. Which is why I say disabling the pagefile is all fun and games until you hit a thrashing state. Then there's wailing and gnashing of teeth over the lost data, and the higher chance of filesystem corruption from the forced reboots. If you're REALLY lucky, the filesystem journal file will get corrupted.

Then there's superfetch, which is a predictive loader for Windows. Trying to anticipate what files to load into RAM based on an analysis of usage patterns. However fast you think your SSD is, it's not going to hold a candle to RAM. Not sure what you thought it was, but it basically only reads data. If some bit of data isn't needed, the OS just purges it from RAM and reads in something else.

piotrtekien
Level 10
I apologize for making a blunt statement like that, I admire your knowledge and will go in with your statement.
So if I read your comment correctly, I should do this? :
- Leave Superfetch on
- Set Paging File to Auto

Also, would there be other things that I should look out for? could you please make a list for me what to check on? Thank you and once again, I apologize deeply.
Desktop