cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having trouble getting my memory up to 2400

fohacidal
Level 8
So I have a 4x8gb set of g.skill ripjaws z series and Im trying to set them to 2400mhz on my rampage iv formula with a i7 3960x as my processor. I have tried doing it manually and via XMP with the adjustments to the rampage tweaker to mode one and changes to the VCCSA to 1.25 but it never boots up. Currently the processor isnt overclocking at all, I have speed step turned off and will turn off turbo mode once I get it stable up to 4.2 ghz, I just cant for the life of me figure out why the memory refuses to go up to 2400
15 REPLIES 15

RonanC
Level 10
you most likely have a weak IMC on your cpu, not all 3960x can reach 2400, luck of the lottery

SUKARA
Level 10
Basically, this itself hardware overclocking constitution...

HiVizMan
Level 40
To reach 2400MHz you will need to significantly increase different voltages. Dram Voltage will need to up two or three notches above the vendors setting. So if 1.60 then 1.672 VCCSA will need to increase too - you will have to spend some time working out what works best for your system.

But there is no certainty that your CPU is able to handle that frequency at all.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Dartmaul
Level 12
If VCCSA on 1.25 doesn't changes anything that means the problem is somewhere else.
Agree with Viz - increase DRAM voltage. I use 1.69v for DRAM and 1.1v VCCSA for 2400MHz on RAM (But I have 4x4).
Also try to set increased timings to make sure they aren't causing any problem.

fohacidal
Level 8
Iv read through the guide and what you guys have said, Im pretty busy with work so tuning is going to have to wait until the weekend or if I get of early this week. Ill def report back with results though, I had increased a few things but generally left timings and DRAM voltage around the same settings the XMP uses.

fohacidal
Level 8
So it didnt work, bringing it down to 2133 didnt help either. It seems regardless of how I tweak the voltages and up the CPUs clock I cant get it to boot. I was actually able to get an unsuccessful overclock message with a 4ghz overclock and like 2200mhz ram speed but I ran out of time and had to get ready for work the next day. Pretty much used about the same voltages as listed in your ram guide with a few minor modifications to the timings and CPU voltages. Im gonna keep working at it, but Im just a little annoyed at how much more difficult this is being as compared to every other computer I have overclocked in the past.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Hmm welcome to X79 :rolleyes: If I were you though I would reset BIOS to stock and then try getting the RAM to work...making random settings and OCs at the same time is only going to complicate matters.

Maybe you could do some screen captures of the BIOS and post them up? FAT32 pendrive in and press f12 in BIOS.....Ai Tweaker menu, DRAM timing control and Digi+ menu

HiVizMan
Level 40
You want easy then go Z77 my friend. X79 take effort. 😮
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.