cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G53S LOW PERFORMANCE QUESTION

Andrew2xtreme
Level 7
Well, In this month (December 2012) my laptop (Asus G53SW) is turning a year old with me. Well this laptop has worked perfectly, all it's internal components have been working top notch. Except for the MANY design flaws, Loose power jack pin, depolarized screen sleep magnet, Lower bumpers sticking out, etc. (Things that you WOULDN'T expect from a computer of this price). I've already spent some money repairing it each time and those flaws haven't been major problems at all.

But I'm coming today, because recently (over this past 20-30 days) my laptop performance has been at an all time low, (for example, I've been playing the same games that I've played a year back, and I had to lower the specs of the games because they started working really slow, and sometimes froze). ALSO this computer has always been REALLY quiet, but over this period fans have started producing a lot of noise (compared to before).

So my question is: How can I fix this problem? (really frustrates me, after paying A LOT for this computer, and having paid also a reasonable amount of money on repairs).

I've already uninstalled/deleted a large quantity of my stuff, (hard drive has a lot of free memory), I've run the antivirus, also cleaned the registry (with tune up). but still the computer has a very low performance, and makes a lot of noise.

I have also read that cleaning the fans/radiators may help with this.. I wanna know if doing that my performance of my laptop will return to normal.

Any help will be appreciated.
Cheers.
3 REPLIES 3

cl-scott
Level 12
One of the most common cases for a sudden drop in performance is a failing HDD. Failing HDDs often generate more heat would could cause the fans to kick into a higher gear, generating more noise. Try loading up a Linux Live distribution via a USB flash drive or some such, and see if the performance is more or less in line with what you expected from Windows doing similar tasks.

dstrakele
Level 14
The thermal paste used to aid the transfer of heat from the GPU and CPU to the heatsinks degrades over time. After about a year of use, many gaming systems require a repaste to maintain proper temperatures. See http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus-gaming-notebook-forum/540077-chastitys-thoughts-repasting-read-... for more information (a different laptop model, but much of the discussion applies) .

Load up HWINFO64 and determine your laptop's GPU and CPU temperatures when idling (no other apps running) and while gaming. If you find you're pushing the envelope, blow out the fan intakes and exhausts with compressed gas. If that fails to sufficiently reduce temps, then a repaste may be on your "To Do" list.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Andrew2xtreme
Level 7
Thanks to both replies. Definitively will try researching both of those options.
If there's another suggestion it will be appreciated.