Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Reputation
    46
    Posts
    615

    When will asus / ROG get a screen out with more pixels

    Nothing wrong exactly with a 1920 x 1080 display ... but some of us like the option of having more pixels.

    Sure seems like current graphics cards in the G75VX could drive a much higher resolution display.

    Any ideas asus people on when something like this might come out?

    PS ... for all the people posting about buying macbook retina displays are a waste of money. Well thats all relative for one thing and seriously compared to things like buying a new boat or new high end SUV ... almost not a factor right? Consumers will buy ... what consumers want to purchase.

    I would like to see something stunning available in a 15 inch asus ROG laptop ... gimme 2880 x 1600 or 2560 x 1440 options please!

  2. #2
    ROG Guru: Black Belt Array rewben PC Specs
    rewben PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G55VW-3D
    MotherboardASROCK Z97 EXTREME 6
    ProcessorINTEL 4790K
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL RIPJAWZ 2400MHZ (F3-19200CL10Q-32GBZHD)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    Graphics Card #2ASUS STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorDELL U2713HM
    Storage #1SAMSUNG SM843 480GB X2
    Storage #2WD GREEN 3TB X2
    CPU CoolerSWIFTECH H240-X
    CaseNZXT H440
    Power SupplyTHERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER XT PLATINUM 1275W
    Keyboard CORSAIR K70 RGB
    Mouse STEELSERIES KINZU V3
    Headset STEELSERIES 9H
    Mouse Pad STEELSERIES QCK+
    Headset/Speakers LOGITECH Z506
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO AU
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Reputation
    178
    Posts
    2,229

    this is a good idea, indeed

  3. #3
    ROG Outfielder Array Skull6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Reputation
    29
    Posts
    306

    The GPUs are only one aspect of this issue. The display needs to be able to handle the higher resolutions as well.
    "If it moves, salute it. If it doesn't move, pick it up. & if you can't pick it up...paint it RED & BLACK !!"
    G75VW-BBK5 {stock}

    ............ Macrium Reflect..................Full G55VW/G75VW model list!

  4. #4
    No Longer Works at ASUS Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Reputation
    68
    Posts
    764

    You can be sure that someone in marketing is regularly looking into this and when it happens that all the stars align, it will happen. However, it's a little more complicated than you might think.

    First more pixels means the display panel costs more money to produce, which means a more expensive final product, and a basic economic demand curve tells you that the higher the prices the fewer units of whatever you'll sell, and the fewer units you sell the lower gross profit you make.

    Now, even if that weren't a consideration, there's still finding someone who can produce those panels in sufficient quantities. Apple has been having problems getting a sufficient number of its retina panels to feed even its relatively small market share.

    Then more pixels means you have more data you need to push from the video card, and probably the more memory that video card needs to be able to store all that data. So you have to rework all the video cards to be able to handle these additional pixels. It also requires the video card work harder driving a larger number of pixels, which will eat into battery life. Now granted you don't really buy something like a G-series laptop if you're worried about battery longevity, but it might well mean that if say the G75 is already bumping up against reasonable limits of power thresholds, that the entire power system of the unit has to be overhauled.

    Basically even a seemingly marginal change can cause a cascade effect where you end up having to make significant other changes. So, I've little doubt that there's someone who's routinely evaluating these things, and when enough things line up, you will see it. I have no idea when that will happen, but it will eventually happen.

  5. #5
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Reputation
    21
    Posts
    300

    Quote Originally Posted by john_from_ohio View Post
    Nothing wrong exactly with a 1920 x 1080 display ... but some of us like the option of having more pixels.

    Sure seems like current graphics cards in the G75VX could drive a much higher resolution display.

    Any ideas asus people on when something like this might come out?

    PS ... for all the people posting about buying macbook retina displays are a waste of money. Well thats all relative for one thing and seriously compared to things like buying a new boat or new high end SUV ... almost not a factor right? Consumers will buy ... what consumers want to purchase.

    I would like to see something stunning available in a 15 inch asus ROG laptop ... gimme 2880 x 1600 or 2560 x 1440 options please!
    Heh...Based on my current screen....they can't even get one that doesn't messup with weird lines and have a few dead pixels in ~every screen in ~every G75! If they add more pixels....to me that means they'll have more dead ones....
    G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Pro 1TB HDD, 180GB Corsair Force GT Sata3 SSD, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M, Intel i-7 3610-QM 2.3Ghz Turboboost to 3.3Ghz

  6. #6
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Reputation
    20
    Posts
    76

    Quote Originally Posted by john_from_ohio View Post
    Nothing wrong exactly with a 1920 x 1080 display ... but some of us like the option of having more pixels.

    Sure seems like current graphics cards in the G75VX could drive a much higher resolution display.

    Any ideas asus people on when something like this might come out?

    PS ... for all the people posting about buying macbook retina displays are a waste of money. Well thats all relative for one thing and seriously compared to things like buying a new boat or new high end SUV ... almost not a factor right? Consumers will buy ... what consumers want to purchase.

    I would like to see something stunning available in a 15 inch asus ROG laptop ... gimme 2880 x 1600 or 2560 x 1440 options please!
    Fact, unless your eyes are less than 18 inches away from a computer, you can not identify a difference between 1080P or 720P, the difference between 1080P and 2880x1600 is much less as well (to the point where it is less than 1 ft). This is not fake, this is scientific research. In fact, Microsoft's Surface has a better screen than the New iPad even though it only has a 1366x768 screen. Why? BECAUSE PIXELS STOP MATTERING PAST A CERTAIN POINT!!!!, Just like how in cameras, megapixels start falling off once you get past like 10, so does the display quality of your sceen.


    The ROG screen is made to be anti-reflective so it doesn't gleam like the Apple Macbook, but it does perform better. Your argument would be better if you posted about things like contrast ratio. ALSO, more pixels = more power required by graphics card so that would make it stupid for a gaming laptop. I believe the MBPR runs Diablo 3 on high at 15-20 FPS, while the G75 runs it around 60-100. Hell, i wouldnt mind if this G75 was a 1600x900.


    There is such a minute difference, the only reason to actually care is bragging rights, 1080p sounds nicer than 1600x900. The same thing applies to ram, unless you are a heavy video renderer who also likes to sandbox an operating system and ALSO run multiboxxed World of Warcrafts, you do NOT need more than 8gb of RAM, you will not get any performance increase.
    ASUS G75VW-BBK5 - 750GB + 8GB Hybrid Solid State/7200 RPM, 1TB 5400 Storage Hard Drive, i7 3610QM, GTX 660M and proud, 8GB 1600MHz RAM, runs quiet as a mouse, cool as an icebox, and three times the computer my Roomate's Macbook Pro is for $50 less.

  7. #7
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Reputation
    20
    Posts
    76

    Quote Originally Posted by finalhour View Post
    Heh...Based on my current screen....they can't even get one that doesn't messup with weird lines and have a few dead pixels in ~every screen in ~every G75! If they add more pixels....to me that means they'll have more dead ones....
    Bought my G75 from best buy, been 6 months so far, no dead pixels, no issues at all. I think the dead pixels actually apply more to the DS7s sold online from other retailers. Best Buy's G75 is also the cheapest, i'd reccomend looking into that.
    ASUS G75VW-BBK5 - 750GB + 8GB Hybrid Solid State/7200 RPM, 1TB 5400 Storage Hard Drive, i7 3610QM, GTX 660M and proud, 8GB 1600MHz RAM, runs quiet as a mouse, cool as an icebox, and three times the computer my Roomate's Macbook Pro is for $50 less.

  8. #8
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Reputation
    46
    Posts
    615

    Quote Originally Posted by jdotjdot7 View Post
    Fact, unless your eyes are less than 18 inches away from a computer, you can not
    Sorry ... just too many complicated assertions in your post ...

    Some consumers want a better higher resolution display available for them. Some of us would pay asus for delivering that product.

    The display 1920 x 1080 in my G75VW is pretty good.

    Either of the mac book pro retina displays are better ... in my opinion.

    I would like to see an asus rog notebook with some choices here ... thats all im saying ... ya dig?

  9. #9
    New ROGer Array Zygomorphic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Reputation
    176
    Posts
    4,761

    Yes and No

    Quote Originally Posted by jdotjdot7 View Post
    Fact, unless your eyes are less than 18 inches away from a computer, you can not identify a difference between 1080P or 720P, the difference between 1080P and 2880x1600 is much less as well (to the point where it is less than 1 ft). This is not fake, this is scientific research. In fact, Microsoft's Surface has a better screen than the New iPad even though it only has a 1366x768 screen. Why? BECAUSE PIXELS STOP MATTERING PAST A CERTAIN POINT!!!!, Just like how in cameras, megapixels start falling off once you get past like 10, so does the display quality of your sceen.


    The ROG screen is made to be anti-reflective so it doesn't gleam like the Apple Macbook, but it does perform better. Your argument would be better if you posted about things like contrast ratio. ALSO, more pixels = more power required by graphics card so that would make it stupid for a gaming laptop. I believe the MBPR runs Diablo 3 on high at 15-20 FPS, while the G75 runs it around 60-100. Hell, i wouldnt mind if this G75 was a 1600x900.


    There is such a minute difference, the only reason to actually care is bragging rights, 1080p sounds nicer than 1600x900. The same thing applies to ram, unless you are a heavy video renderer who also likes to sandbox an operating system and ALSO run multiboxxed World of Warcrafts, you do NOT need more than 8gb of RAM, you will not get any performance increase.
    720P and 1080P make a world of difference if you do a ton of typing (Code or documents) in terms of the number of lines you can fit on the display as well as whether you can get two documents side by side on the same display. 1600p is not likely to be as useful, since it it passing the point of diminishing returns in terms of readability.

    On graphics, I definitely agree with you. On RAM, I generally do. I have extra RAM for my VMs.
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

  10. #10
    ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Reputation
    21
    Posts
    300

    Quote Originally Posted by jdotjdot7 View Post
    Bought my G75 from best buy, been 6 months so far, no dead pixels, no issues at all. I think the dead pixels actually apply more to the DS7s sold online from other retailers. Best Buy's G75 is also the cheapest, i'd reccomend looking into that.
    Mine's a best buy too.
    G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Pro 1TB HDD, 180GB Corsair Force GT Sata3 SSD, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M, Intel i-7 3610-QM 2.3Ghz Turboboost to 3.3Ghz

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •