cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When will asus / ROG get a screen out with more pixels

john_from_ohio
Level 11
Nothing wrong exactly with a 1920 x 1080 display ... but some of us like the option of having more pixels.

Sure seems like current graphics cards in the G75VX could drive a much higher resolution display.

Any ideas asus people on when something like this might come out?

PS ... for all the people posting about buying macbook retina displays are a waste of money. Well thats all relative for one thing and seriously compared to things like buying a new boat or new high end SUV ... almost not a factor right? Consumers will buy ... what consumers want to purchase.

I would like to see something stunning available in a 15 inch asus ROG laptop ... gimme 2880 x 1600 or 2560 x 1440 options please!
15 REPLIES 15

rewben
Level 13
this is a good idea, indeed 🙂

Skull6
Level 10
The GPUs are only one aspect of this issue. The display needs to be able to handle the higher resolutions as well.
"If it moves, salute it. If it doesn't move, pick it up. & if you can't pick it up...paint it RED & BLACK !!"
G75VW-BBK5 {stock}

............ Macrium Reflect ..................Full G55VW/G75VW model list!

cl-scott
Level 12
You can be sure that someone in marketing is regularly looking into this and when it happens that all the stars align, it will happen. However, it's a little more complicated than you might think.

First more pixels means the display panel costs more money to produce, which means a more expensive final product, and a basic economic demand curve tells you that the higher the prices the fewer units of whatever you'll sell, and the fewer units you sell the lower gross profit you make.

Now, even if that weren't a consideration, there's still finding someone who can produce those panels in sufficient quantities. Apple has been having problems getting a sufficient number of its retina panels to feed even its relatively small market share.

Then more pixels means you have more data you need to push from the video card, and probably the more memory that video card needs to be able to store all that data. So you have to rework all the video cards to be able to handle these additional pixels. It also requires the video card work harder driving a larger number of pixels, which will eat into battery life. Now granted you don't really buy something like a G-series laptop if you're worried about battery longevity, but it might well mean that if say the G75 is already bumping up against reasonable limits of power thresholds, that the entire power system of the unit has to be overhauled.

Basically even a seemingly marginal change can cause a cascade effect where you end up having to make significant other changes. So, I've little doubt that there's someone who's routinely evaluating these things, and when enough things line up, you will see it. I have no idea when that will happen, but it will eventually happen.

finalhour
Level 11
john_from_ohio wrote:
Nothing wrong exactly with a 1920 x 1080 display ... but some of us like the option of having more pixels.

Sure seems like current graphics cards in the G75VX could drive a much higher resolution display.

Any ideas asus people on when something like this might come out?

PS ... for all the people posting about buying macbook retina displays are a waste of money. Well thats all relative for one thing and seriously compared to things like buying a new boat or new high end SUV ... almost not a factor right? Consumers will buy ... what consumers want to purchase.

I would like to see something stunning available in a 15 inch asus ROG laptop ... gimme 2880 x 1600 or 2560 x 1440 options please!

Heh...Based on my current screen....they can't even get one that doesn't messup with weird lines and have a few dead pixels in ~every screen in ~every G75! If they add more pixels....to me that means they'll have more dead ones....
G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Pro 1TB HDD, 180GB Corsair Force GT Sata3 SSD, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M, Intel i-7 3610-QM 2.3Ghz Turboboost to 3.3Ghz

finalhour wrote:
Heh...Based on my current screen....they can't even get one that doesn't messup with weird lines and have a few dead pixels in ~every screen in ~every G75! If they add more pixels....to me that means they'll have more dead ones....

Bought my G75 from best buy, been 6 months so far, no dead pixels, no issues at all. I think the dead pixels actually apply more to the DS7s sold online from other retailers. Best Buy's G75 is also the cheapest, i'd reccomend looking into that.
ASUS G75VW-BBK5 - 750GB + 8GB Hybrid Solid State/7200 RPM, 1TB 5400 Storage Hard Drive, i7 3610QM, GTX 660M and proud, 8GB 1600MHz RAM, runs quiet as a mouse, cool as an icebox, and three times the computer my Roomate's Macbook Pro is for $50 less.

jdotjdot7 wrote:
Bought my G75 from best buy, been 6 months so far, no dead pixels, no issues at all. I think the dead pixels actually apply more to the DS7s sold online from other retailers. Best Buy's G75 is also the cheapest, i'd reccomend looking into that.

Mine's a best buy too.
G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Pro 1TB HDD, 180GB Corsair Force GT Sata3 SSD, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M, Intel i-7 3610-QM 2.3Ghz Turboboost to 3.3Ghz

finalhour wrote:
Mine's a best buy too.

Ah well did you spring for the Best Buy 2 year warranty? They cover everything, dropping, (minor water damage), intentional damage, etc etc. And if you break your laptop enough in 2 years they will give you a brand new similarly priced laptop which in 1-2 years could be the ASUS G95 or something 😛
ASUS G75VW-BBK5 - 750GB + 8GB Hybrid Solid State/7200 RPM, 1TB 5400 Storage Hard Drive, i7 3610QM, GTX 660M and proud, 8GB 1600MHz RAM, runs quiet as a mouse, cool as an icebox, and three times the computer my Roomate's Macbook Pro is for $50 less.

jdotjdot7 wrote:
Ah well did you spring for the Best Buy 2 year warranty? They cover everything, dropping, (minor water damage), intentional damage, etc etc. And if you break your laptop enough in 2 years they will give you a brand new similarly priced laptop which in 1-2 years could be the ASUS G95 or something 😛

Yes i have the Best Buy Warranty, no it doesn't cover accidental. So I'm not gonna drop it hahaha! In terms of the dead pixels, they ship it to another best buy place to look it over first, just to tell them that there are dead pixels (they're too dumb to do it at the counter in-store....?) Then they ship it to ASUS who may fix the issue, or may give me another screen with the same problem. Based on other posts on the forum, ASUS sometimes will send you it back with more problems than it left with. All this will take weeks.
I'm a grad student and a photographer, I NEED A LAPTOP! I can't be without this. Plus I'd risk losing the parts I've added in (I added 8GB of RAM and my OS is on a CORSAIR FORCE GT SSD Drive).

It's just not worth it at this point!