cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Summer heat and my Asus G74SX, how hot is too hot?

Thorn2011
Level 10
I have never really worried about temps with my Asus G74SX before, firstly I am using a Laptop Cooler, secondly I have never noticed the CPU getting above 50-52 degrees Celsius even after gaming! Today was very hot, 33 degree's Celsius, and while playing FarCry3 for an hour or so, I was shocked to see the CPU temp topping out at 72 degree's Celsius!!

I knew FC3 was pretty much the most demanding game out atm but 72 degree's? That is some 20 degrees over when playing other games, so either A: My ambient room temp was much higher than usual, or B: FC3 is extremely CPU dependant or C: Both!

My question to you folks is, what is considered dangerous for CPU temps these days in G series laptops, and should I be worried? The last thing I need is to burn out any components as my laptop is out of warranty!

Thanks! Anyone else played FC3 and if so have you noticed the same thing?
Asus G74SX-FHD-TZ130V

2nd Generation Intel Core i7-2630qm 2ghz With Turbo Boost Up To 2.9ghz CPU | Metallic Keyboard | Win 7 Home Premium | Blu Ray & DVD +/- & CD Player | 4 USB Ports | Media Card Reader | Webcam | Bluetooth | WIFI | Nvidia 3D Vision GTX560M 3GB | 2 X 750GB 7200rpm HDD's | 8 GB RAM DDR3 1333mhz | 17 Inch Screen 1920X1080 Resolution | 1 HDMI Ports | 8 Cell Battery
10 REPLIES 10

fostert
Level 12
Its winter here in canada and my office is on the cooler side: however, when data processing using all four cores of the 2630QM in my G74, the CPU gets to 72-76 degrees C. In the fall here it got to 80 with the same loads. I have never worried about it, and it always drops back down to 33-38C at idle when its done.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

Thanks for your reply 🙂

Well today I have the Evap Cooling running full power, ambient room temp is around 22 degrees Celsius, according to Realtemp, all 4 cores are idling at 43,43,43,40 degree's Celsius! It seems that FC3 is a nice system stress tester because it is probably the most demanding game out there atm, heck I can run Crysis 2 on higher settings! I am glad around 70 degrees isn't out of the ordinary! I just downloaded HWinfo64 and according to that program, my GPU and CPU fans are running at 2600 rpm which I know is slightly above normal, but with the warm ambient temperatures I guess it probably isn't too bad?
Asus G74SX-FHD-TZ130V

2nd Generation Intel Core i7-2630qm 2ghz With Turbo Boost Up To 2.9ghz CPU | Metallic Keyboard | Win 7 Home Premium | Blu Ray & DVD +/- & CD Player | 4 USB Ports | Media Card Reader | Webcam | Bluetooth | WIFI | Nvidia 3D Vision GTX560M 3GB | 2 X 750GB 7200rpm HDD's | 8 GB RAM DDR3 1333mhz | 17 Inch Screen 1920X1080 Resolution | 1 HDMI Ports | 8 Cell Battery

Yes, 40 - 43 C idles are normal for me too at ambient temps of above 22 C or so. It got to +40C here this summer several times on my upstairs den, and my G74 idled near 50C. Probably broke 85C during activity. As I said I have never noticed any impact on performance, short or long term.

BTW, you really don't need a laptop cooler for the G74.It draws in cool air from on top, in two intake grills next to the speaker grills right in front of the hinge on top. I tried a dual fan ANTEC laptop cooler on my G74 once, and it didn' t do anything.
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

fostert wrote:
Yes, 40 - 43 C idles are normal for me too at ambient temps of above 22 C or so. It got to +40C here this summer several times on my upstairs den, and my G74 idled near 50C. Probably broke 85C during activity. As I said I have never noticed any impact on performance, short or long term.

BTW, you really don't need a laptop cooler for the G74.It draws in cool air from on top, in two intake grills next to the speaker grills right in front of the hinge on top. I tried a dual fan ANTEC laptop cooler on my G74 once, and it didn' t do anything.

Second that for the littler brother G53SX, I had a dual-fan cooler, and it helped - by 1-2 C max. The speaker grille is important, so when running the computer, keep the lid open! 🙂
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Just wanted to let you know my G74SX currently idles at ~42C with 19C in the room, and I've seen it peak up to ~80 when doing full recompiles (all cores are used). That's CPU only mind you, as the GPU has nothing to do with compiling.

Remember, if you're using the GPU you're increasing the surrounding temperature of the system and it will increase CPU temperature as well. I definatly wouldn't worry about ~70C for a game.

Comparing temperatures might be like comparing apples and oranges, as it depends on if you've overclocked or changed power-saving features. It also depends on how clogged your system is with dust. Mine is 9 months old and is starting to collect some dust on the top-grills, it might increase the temperature some. At least that's how it "feels" like compared to when I got it.

So, don't worry. 🙂

StefanLundmark wrote:
Just wanted to let you know my G74SX currently idles at ~42C with 19C in the room, and I've seen it peak up to ~80 when doing full recompiles (all cores are used). That's CPU only mind you, as the GPU has nothing to do with compiling.

Remember, if you're using the GPU you're increasing the surrounding temperature of the system and it will increase CPU temperature as well. I definatly wouldn't worry about ~70C for a game.

Comparing temperatures might be like comparing apples and oranges, as it depends on if you've overclocked or changed power-saving features. It also depends on how clogged your system is with dust. Mine is 9 months old and is starting to collect some dust on the top-grills, it might increase the temperature some. At least that's how it "feels" like compared to when I got it.

So, don't worry. 🙂

Thats good to know 🙂 I was just a little surprised is all, but I believe FC3 does that to people from what I have read it really is a power hungry game!

I have done some small overclocking with my GTX560M only to the tune of 150mhz on both Memory and GPU as it is summer here and I don't want to push it that hard, I overclocked using Nvidiainspector but the temps mentioned above when I was not overclocking, I only do that before playing a demanding game like FC3 otherwise it stays at its stock speeds! Funny thing is my temps didn't change much after overclocking it 150mhz maybe 2-3 degrees, this is a testament to how good the cooling solution is in the G74SX! The strange thing is, I only noticed a slight improvement in performance, I guess that shows how CPU dependant games like FC3 are!
Asus G74SX-FHD-TZ130V

Thorn2011 wrote:
Thats good to know 🙂 I was just a little surprised is all, but I believe FC3 does that to people from what I have read it really is a power hungry game!

I have done some small overclocking with my GTX560M only to the tune of 150mhz on both Memory and GPU as it is summer here and I don't want to push it that hard, I overclocked using Nvidiainspector but the temps mentioned above when I was not overclocking, I only do that before playing a demanding game like FC3 otherwise it stays at its stock speeds! Funny thing is my temps didn't change much after overclocking it 150mhz maybe 2-3 degrees, this is a testament to how good the cooling solution is in the G74SX! The strange thing is, I only noticed a slight improvement in performance, I guess that shows how CPU dependant games like FC3 are!

+150 MHz on what normal core clock? Yeah, the ASUS ROG cooling solution is really, really, good. While I like computers to be lighter (don't we all?), I definitely want them to maintain the CPU+GPU cooling solution that they have right now. It is what sets their computers apart from the rest (that, and the price tag for a reliable vendor).
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!

Zygomorphic wrote:
+150 MHz on what normal core clock? Yeah, the ASUS ROG cooling solution is really, really, good. While I like computers to be lighter (don't we all?), I definitely want them to maintain the CPU+GPU cooling solution that they have right now. It is what sets their computers apart from the rest (that, and the price tag for a reliable vendor).

Yeah 150mhz on the original Clocks, I have noticed if I use NvidiaInspector to overclock it syncs the Shader Clock with the GPU clock! I know its only a low overclock and probably won't increase my FPS too much, but I am too scared to push it much further! My laptop is out of warranty and I can't afford 2k+ to replace this one! Temps haven't changed much at all pre-overclock to overclock!
Asus G74SX-FHD-TZ130V

Thorn2011 wrote:
Yeah 150mhz on the original Clocks, I have noticed if I use NvidiaInspector to overclock it syncs the Shader Clock with the GPU clock! I know its only a low overclock and probably won't increase my FPS too much, but I am too scared to push it much further! My laptop is out of warranty and I can't afford 2k+ to replace this one! Temps haven't changed much at all pre-overclock to overclock!

Key to safe laptop overclocking is excessive caution + no voltage changes. As long as you don't change the voltages, the risk of damage is very, very low. Change the voltages wrong => pfft! no lappy! 🙂