cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Missing Recovery DVD creation software and Windows 8 crap...

Malakie
Level 7
My problem is not a specific hardware fault or error rather I am trying to find out about problems with the overall system...>
>
I just bought an ASUS G75VW-TH72 system. First, I cannot stand Windows 8. It is the biggest interface piece of dung ever. I got the laptop about 2pm this afternoon. It is now almost 10pm and I am STILL trying to figure out how to do some of the most basic functions.. and I am not a novice user.

Anyhow, the bleak few page manual that comes with this unit says to use the 'Asus Recovery Burner Icon' to create a system master disc for recovery and restore in case of HD failure.. Except there IS NO Icon nor any such program on the system! How the heck do I make a recovery DVD?

As for my other issues, they are all Windows 8 related.. for example Internet Explorer will not pass through mouse clicks to any web page buttons nor run embedded tools or apps, including those here on the asus website!

Can someone from Asus or in the know help me out before I send the thing back in frustration?
Take it light....

Malakie

4 REPLIES 4

rewben
Level 13
@Malakie,

- things like classic shell might help if you're uncomfortable with the metro ui.
- windows key combos can be very helpful. i only remember 2 of them:
a) win + x - brings up quick links/a popup menu to many nice places
b) win + i - handy when you want to power down the laptop.

the rest (common ones) are pretty the same.

as for the recovery DVDs, currently there is no tool for you; but i believe ASUS is working on that. i don't use Internet Explorer much; have no problem with FireFox or Chrome.

Pitcher1
Level 9
hi, could you download manual form ASUS website, i think it would be more clearing.
if you want ot restore system, you can unusual boot three time like press power 10sec to shotdown than press power to boot, repeat three times or in setting -> change computer setting -> general to restore your system.
ASUS AI recover utility not release for WIn 8, so id you want to recover to DVD, must be finding 3th part utility.

Mike_Lu@ASUS wrote:
hi, could you download manual form ASUS website, i think it would be more clearing.
if you want ot restore system, you can unusual boot three time like press power 10sec to shotdown than press power to boot, repeat three times or in setting -> change computer setting -> general to restore your system.
ASUS AI recover utility not release for WIn 8, so id you want to recover to DVD, must be finding 3th part utility.

Your telling me I just spent $1500 on a laptop that does NOT come with original backup and OS factory install software?

Right now I am pretty irritated to be honest... From dealing with this piece of crap windows 8 to trying to figure out how to backup and create a restoration DVD, it has been a frustrating 24 hours already.

Windows 8... argh.. typing away and suddenly the whole screen just flips to the tiles startup page with no warning.. I am guessing it is my finger hitting the touchpad and the mouse bouncing to a corner and flipping the screen... what a piece of crap design Windows 8 UI is...

It appears I am going to wipe this system and install Windows 7 now because I cannot deal with this anymore. It is wasting all my time and I need this system operational by tomorrow evening..
Take it light....

Malakie

Malakie wrote:
Your telling me I just spent $1500 on a laptop that does NOT come with original backup and OS factory install software?

Right now I am pretty irritated to be honest... From dealing with this piece of crap windows 8 to trying to figure out how to backup and create a restoration DVD, it has been a frustrating 24 hours already.

Windows 8... argh.. typing away and suddenly the whole screen just flips to the tiles startup page with no warning.. I am guessing it is my finger hitting the touchpad and the mouse bouncing to a corner and flipping the screen... what a piece of crap design Windows 8 UI is...

It appears I am going to wipe this system and install Windows 7 now because I cannot deal with this anymore. It is wasting all my time and I need this system operational by tomorrow evening..

Google Start8, it adds a start menu and lets you disable all those gesture things that keep on happening to you! I know how you feel. After you disable that and fix it so it goes to the normal desktop with start8 (its like 5 bucks online for a license, doesnt expire) you'll find that windows 8 is actually faster than win. 7
G75VW-BBK5 Windows 8 Pro 1TB HDD, 180GB Corsair Force GT Sata3 SSD, 16GB DDR3, GeForce GTX 660M, Intel i-7 3610-QM 2.3Ghz Turboboost to 3.3Ghz