Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    85

    Help! Low +12V, On-Off Restart Issues

    Was just browsing a while ago when my PC suddenly restarts. To my surprise it went back on and nothing displays on screen. Checked the inside of my RIG to see the fans connected to the motherboard not working and I guess the entire motherboard is not working as well. Then it was restarting after a few second interval
    What's going on!?!?!

    This might be helpful
    the +12V section reads 7.08V only.. X_______X
    Is that normal or significantly low???
    I don't remember that being like that.
    Please help!
    I'm using an ASUS P8Z77M-PRO
    please see cpuid sig for specs

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.JPG 
Views:	0 
Size:	92.1 KB 
ID:	14856
    Intel i5-2500k - ASUS Maximus V Gene - ASUS GTX 660 DCU II
    ASUS ThunderFX - Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 850w
    OCZ Vector 120GB - Corsair H90
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB - Coolermaster Storm Trooper

  2. #2
    No Longer Works at ASUS Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Reputation
    68
    Posts
    764

    I would call that significantly low. +/- ~0.5V wouldn't be a big deal, but we're talking about -5V. First thing I'd suggest doing is putting in a new PSU, as that's the most likely culprit. If you're still getting the same issue with a new PSU, then it'd be time to RMA the board.

  3. #3
    ROG Guru: Grand Master Array HiVizMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Reputation
    354
    Posts
    25,742

    That is hardware waiting to be damaged. Me I would not use that PSU on my system.
    To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

  4. #4
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    85

    I was using this PSU (Corsair TX650) for 10 months now. I don't remember it being like this. So it's the PSU? I think somethings is wrong with it. This was just recent... I am getting screen freezes from time to time too
    Intel i5-2500k - ASUS Maximus V Gene - ASUS GTX 660 DCU II
    ASUS ThunderFX - Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 850w
    OCZ Vector 120GB - Corsair H90
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB - Coolermaster Storm Trooper

  5. #5
    No Longer Works at ASUS Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Reputation
    68
    Posts
    764

    Quote Originally Posted by najirion View Post
    I was using this PSU (Corsair TX650) for 10 months now. I don't remember it being like this. So it's the PSU? I think somethings is wrong with it. This was just recent... I am getting screen freezes from time to time too
    The PSU is the most likely source of the problem, but it is at least conceivable the motherboard is the problem. Still I'd say it's like 90% chance it's the PSU, 9% chance it's the motherboard, and a 1% chance it's something else.

  6. #6
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    85


    Okay, thanks for all your help guys. Fortunately both the mobo and PSU is from one dealer and he's really easy to talk to. I think I'll just head there.. I'm really confused.. I installed a generic 500w PSU, same thing occurred but since it was an old backup I can't really make a clear conclusion
    Intel i5-2500k - ASUS Maximus V Gene - ASUS GTX 660 DCU II
    ASUS ThunderFX - Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 850w
    OCZ Vector 120GB - Corsair H90
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB - Coolermaster Storm Trooper

  7. #7
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    85

    I had it checked, they spent the entire day checking everything and found that it was the motherboard
    It was like the motherboard had a stroke, some of the headers aren't working and wasn't supplying enough power to the processor says the dealer's technician.
    Anyway, It was still 6 months old, it was sent for RMA now.
    Intel i5-2500k - ASUS Maximus V Gene - ASUS GTX 660 DCU II
    ASUS ThunderFX - Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 850w
    OCZ Vector 120GB - Corsair H90
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB - Coolermaster Storm Trooper

  8. #8
    No Longer Works at ASUS Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Reputation
    68
    Posts
    764

    Quote Originally Posted by najirion View Post
    I had it checked, they spent the entire day checking everything and found that it was the motherboard
    It was like the motherboard had a stroke, some of the headers aren't working and wasn't supplying enough power to the processor says the dealer's technician.
    Anyway, It was still 6 months old, it was sent for RMA now.
    Well, the important thing is that you found what the issue was. I'm honestly a little surprised the unit would boot and run at all with just a bit over half the voltage it was expecting. Anyway, it might not be a bad idea to kind of stress test other components, like PCIe cards and RAM, when you get your replacement. Anything that would have been drawing power from the main 12V rail you will want to check. Hopefully everything comes out fine, but it's possible there's some collateral damage.

  9. #9
    ROG Guru: White Belt Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    85

    Quote Originally Posted by cl-scott View Post
    Well, the important thing is that you found what the issue was. I'm honestly a little surprised the unit would boot and run at all with just a bit over half the voltage it was expecting. Anyway, it might not be a bad idea to kind of stress test other components, like PCIe cards and RAM, when you get your replacement. Anything that would have been drawing power from the main 12V rail you will want to check. Hopefully everything comes out fine, but it's possible there's some collateral damage.
    Thanks for the advise. Yep will do that. This was all of a sudden. Did OC my i5-2500k to 4.0Ghz with it and it was running fine. Even ran prime95 for 2 hours. Didn't restart or BSOD whatsoever.. wonder what happened to it..
    Intel i5-2500k - ASUS Maximus V Gene - ASUS GTX 660 DCU II
    ASUS ThunderFX - Be Quiet Dark Power Pro 10 850w
    OCZ Vector 120GB - Corsair H90
    Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB - Coolermaster Storm Trooper

  10. #10
    No Longer Works at ASUS Array
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Reputation
    68
    Posts
    764

    Quote Originally Posted by najirion View Post
    Thanks for the advise. Yep will do that. This was all of a sudden. Did OC my i5-2500k to 4.0Ghz with it and it was running fine. Even ran prime95 for 2 hours. Didn't restart or BSOD whatsoever.. wonder what happened to it..
    I'm no EE, but I'd say you suffered a capacitor failure or two. Some component, or components, that help regulate the voltage on the 12V rail failed. So you were probably getting some rather large fluctuations in the voltage coming down that line, hence why you want to make sure to test anything that gets power off that rail. Good news is, someone will probably be able to fix it when it gets back to an RMA center.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •