cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU Fan Error

Retired
Not applicable
Hi

Just had a system built yesterday with with the Asus Crosshair Formula V motherboard and the Phenom X6 1100T BE proc. I have installed the CoolerMaster V6GT cpu cooler which has 2 fans. The fans from the cooler are connected to the 4 pin CPU fan connectors on the top of the motherboard (CPU_FAN and CPU_OPT). At POST, I get the CPU fan error. Press F1 to continue. Only happenes from cold boot and not restart. The fans wont start spinning as soon as I power up, but as I enter the BIOS the fans start spinning and I can exit BIOS and can boot into the OS. Am I missing something or connected something wrong. Everything else seems fine and the system works great.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers
4 REPLIES 4

Raja
Level 13
Hi,

There is the possibility the fan speed is too low and is setting off the warning. You can try a few things - if you go to the fan section of BIOS and ignore the FAN speed, set the fan speed manually or set F1 halt to disabled in the boot menu.

-Raja

Retired
Not applicable
Thanks for the reply.
I will try what you mentioned. Will ignoring fan speed cause problems as to when the CPU is heating and I wont know if the fan is cooling it right?
When i set the fan speed manually is there a particular rpm setting I should keep it at. When the BIOS detects it it show me around 2000 rpm.
Also any reason why the fans wont spin at all when I hit the power switch and only start spinning once I enter the BIOS.
Thanks again

Cheers

saps18 wrote:
Thanks for the reply.
I will try what you mentioned. Will ignoring fan speed cause problems as to when the CPU is heating and I wont know if the fan is cooling it right?
When i set the fan speed manually is there a particular rpm setting I should keep it at. When the BIOS detects it it show me around 2000 rpm.
Also any reason why the fans wont spin at all when I hit the power switch and only start spinning once I enter the BIOS.
Thanks again

Cheers

Hi,

Ignoring the fan speed does not have any bearing on the CPU temperatures per se - as the fans will still be cooling the heatsink.

I think the fans aren't spinning up straight away because the CPU temperature threshold for the fans starting up is not being polled until POST is complete - or the load is insufficient on the processor until you reach BIOS. You can try different fan profiles and see if those will work or try setting the RPM higher in steps and seeing if that stops the F1 halt. It may come down to us needing to offset the BIOS somewhat to increase the warning trip threshold, but try chaging the RPM and let's see if it goes away at all.

-Raja

Retired
Not applicable
Thanks for the clarifications. I will tweak the fan setting in the BIOS you mentioned.

cheers