cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help! I am an idiot

letapecul
Level 7
ehello all! while attempting to upgrade my g75vw to windows 8 yesterday, i somehow took a wrong turn somewhere and the installation did not work. i tried again, and for the life of me cannot remember what i did, but i somehow have ended up in an ASUS preload wizard loop from which there appears to be no escape. at first, i resigned myself to just following through with the recovery process and starting over. however, now the preload wizard will run, appear to be successful, then restart the computer and take me right back to the preload wizard. i tried using the recovery discs i made when i first got the computer but no luck breaking out of this cycle. i know this looks like a clusterfark of massive proportions, and i realize i have screwed something up horribly. any help would be greatly appreciated!
23 REPLIES 23

rewben
Level 13
by ASUS preload wizard you mean the f9 recovery process on boot? what did you do when you're in the preload wizard process?

by the way i assume you have a g75vw that was preloaded with w7. have you upgraded your bios?

dstrakele
Level 14
The ASUS Factory Recovery process from DVD typically takes about an hour and 45 minutes, rebooting the laptop several times. ASUS Factory Recovery from the hidden partition on your HDD, accessed by pressing F9 at startup, takes about an hour, also performing multiple reboots.

If you interrupt the process before completion, it may result in the behavior you report. When completed, the recovery should leave you at the Windows 7 Setup Wizard screen.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
The ASUS Factory Recovery process from DVD typically takes about an hour and 45 minutes, rebooting the laptop several times. ASUS Factory Recovery from the hidden partition on your HDD, accessed by pressing F9 at startup, takes about an hour, also performing multiple reboots.

If you interrupt the process before completion, it may result in the behavior you report. When completed, the recovery should leave you at the Windows 7 Setup Wizard screen.

the problem seems to be, i tried recovering from the discs, waited through the entire process, put discs in when needed, but always end up back at the preload wizard screen, which refuses to do anything until you click through the screens asking for
1. Please select your language
2. Warning about recovery
3. Click on "Recover Windws to entire HD" (which is also the only option available)
4. Warning that it will return computer to factory state
5. Click Finish to run the recovry process

after that
1.diskpart.exe runs, saying disk 0 is the selected disc and that partition 3 is the selected partition
2. a new screen pops up X:imagex64.exe and says it is applying progress. this takes about 2 minutes
3. a bunch of screens pop up in rapid succession, i believe at some point i saw something saying access denied
4. then diskpart.exe runs again saying that partition 4 is the selected partition
5. another screen pops up, maybe wpeutil or something, that blinks out after a second, the computer restarts, and the whole cycle starts over again at the preload wizard screen and "Please select your language"

sorry if this is a bit of a mess, i am only slightly above total moron when it comes to computers, so if something i wrote doesn't make sense, it is probably my fault

oh, and rewben, i didn't specifically upgrade my bios. unless it was included in some other process, anyways

rewben
Level 13
ah.. that's because of incomplete recovery; then all you have to do is to start over and wait patiently for another 1hour+.

dstrakele
Level 14
Are you removing the Recovery DVD before you select your language in Windows Setup?

dstrakele wrote:
Are you removing the Recovery DVD before you select your language in Windows Setup?

yes, the recovery dvd is out at that point

dstrakele
Level 14
How long does the Recovery process run until it starts again from "Select your Language"?

Do you get the same behavior when you initiate Recovery with F9 at startup - particularly the" Access Denied " error?

dstrakele wrote:
How long had the Recovery process run before you entered your language?

Did you let the laptop remain at the Windows Setup Wizard screen for at least 10 minutes before touching it?

well, from bootup until entering language it is only running for a minute or two. also, i have not gotten to any windows setup wizard screens, only the asus preload wizard. i tried the recovery disc last night, let the whole process run, then didnt touch anything. i ended up at the asus preload wizard, and i let it sit on the language selection screen for an hour, but nothing happened

letapecul wrote:
well, from bootup until entering language it is only running for a minute or two. also, i have not gotten to any windows setup wizard screens, only the asus preload wizard. i tried the recovery disc last night, let the whole process run, then didnt touch anything. i ended up at the asus preload wizard, and i let it sit on the language selection screen for an hour, but nothing happened

Well at that point you need to select your language, then click on next.
Then "don't touch anything" till you get to the "windows setup screen"
This will take awhile, like one hour+ to complete because this is rebuilding your "Recovery Partition"
now at this point when you get to the "windows setup screen" it will ask you for your language again, and click on next.

PS: By no means don't touch anything to you get to the"windows setup screen"!
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"