cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A different speaker problem

ngdavis
Level 7
I've had a G75VW for a couple of months now, and I've been absolutely loving it. This is the first problem I've ever had with it:

I just left the house for about an hour, leaving the laptop on while I ran a Norton system scan. When I returned, I found that the built-in speakers now make a horrible buzzing sound every time a sound plays. I can still hear the sounds (Windows system sounds, video, music, whatever), but with this horrible crackling buzz at the same time. The sound is fine when listened to through headphones, and I've never had the specific sound problems (like with the subwoofer) that some others have reported with this particular model, so I'm scratching my head here. Could the speakers just be broken, or is there something obvious that I'm overlooking? Any thoughts would be appreciated; I'm not a noob by any means, but I'm nowhere near an expert when it comes to dealing with computers (which is why I bought this pre-built!).

Perhaps I should also add that I've looked at the drivers and they seem to be up to date, and I have, of course, done some cursory checking on google but couldn't find anything specific to exactly my problem.

I've gone into the sound settings to disable the subwoofer and tinker with the sound and bass levels, but it makes no difference to the buzzing. I can tell that the buzzing is the speakers themselves, by the way, not, for example, the fans or something vibrating. The buzzing is only when a sound is playing, and I can clearly hear the buzzing from the left and from the right speakers themselves.

So, I'm inclined to think they're just broken or torn at this point, but I'm confused as to what could have happened - like I said, they were working fine before I left the house, and the laptop went untouched until I got back. I seriously doubt that Norton could have done anything, but it was the only activity done by the PC at the time.

Anyone have any thoughts, or should I look into my warranty/repair options?
5 REPLIES 5

dstrakele
Level 14
Here is something you can try: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?20836-Crackling-Popping-static-noise-and-my-solution!.

Do check your equalizer and volume settings to make sure you are not overdriving the small speakers, particularly the subwoofer.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Apexing
Level 9
dont see you saying if you have tried uninstall and reinstall drivers. It might work dunno
and you are right that is a very strange issue, its very rare that both speakers break at the same time, so no idea what the issue is.

ngdavis
Level 7
Yeah, I reinstalled the drivers and I'm having the same issue. I also checked out the linked forum post but nothing changed from that, either.

Is there a good way to tell if the actual, physical speakers were torn or something? It's weird, because not only have I NOT turned them up very loud much in the past, I haven't used them much at all since I usually have headphones plugged in.

dstrakele
Level 14
Try using Windows System Restore to restore your system to a time before the problem Norton system scan.

Alternatively, boot up into a Linux "LiveCD" distribution to see if you can reproduce the speaker problem with this different OS. If you do hear the speaker problem under Ubuntu (for example), then it is likely a hardware issue, since Ubuntu would use a different audio driver.

dstrakele
Level 14
1) Try using Windows System Restore to restore your system to a time before the problem Norton system scan.

2) Alternatively, boot up into a Linux "LiveCD" distribution to see if you can reproduce the speaker problem with this different OS. If you do hear the speaker problem under Ubuntu (for example), then it is likely a hardware issue, since Ubuntu would use a different audio driver.

3) Does the buzzing occur when on battery? If not, your outlet may not be properly grounded and you're getting a 60 cycle hum as is common to poorly grounded audio equipment. Try a different outlet in a different building that may hopefully be properly grounded.