Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array B0UJI's Avatar

I've left the default fan profile on Afterburner, sets it at 40% by default and ramps it if it hits 60*.

I've Just got to make sure it's pushing *both* fans to 40* and not just the Core Fan.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array twisted1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by B0UJI View Post
    I've left the default fan profile on Afterburner, sets it at 40% by default and ramps it if it hits 60*.

I've Just got to make sure it's pushing *both* fans to 40* and not just the Core Fan.
    Hmm, dont you use gpu tweak? It's the only tool that really works with Matrix cards, also monitoring of voltages/temps. Only gpu tweak shows the correct values.

You should have a look there at the temps when running things like OCCT torture test, it's not good for the card.

GPUTweak was ****ting me off, and i've stopped trying to push the card. I tried some tests with the fans at 100% (hit the hardware button) and all results were the same so my issues weren't thermal. I ignored the OCCT errors as per your advice but although the FPS was higher.... the minimums were down and it looked noticeably choppier. Think something was making it generally more unstable so just went "meh, the gains aren't worth the ****". I prefer MSI Afterburner for the in-game OSD and i can use HWINFO to push other stats to it as well for in game monitoring and i'm just not OC'ing.

I plan on going Crossfire when the new AMD latency driver comes out and 7970's go down a bit in price and that will give me much more benefit than tweaking the card to cause possible instability.

I still get random artifacting here and there with this card. Noticed it a bit now that I'm playing XCOM. Sometimes the non gun hand shoots to the ground and stretches out and once after playing all day got to the Base (where you launch missions and stuff) and had massive flashing artifacting all over the place (like textures jumping about and going random colours). Now something did occur to me, as I'm running dual-screen it means my idle clock is 500mhz which is high. And I've noticed in some games that 60fps (I always use v-sync when games are way over 60fps averaging) doesn't always use enough of the GPU and it downclocks to 500mhz... then back up to 1050mhz, then to 1100mhz BOOST, then 500mhz all depending on what's happening and the load on the screen (GPU usage at 1100mhz goes to 20% it drops meaning at 500MHZ it's at 50% goes ooh that's high clocks ups etc...). I hypothesize! Perhaps some of the issue can come into being due to the constant shifting of clocks?

You can set the card to only 3D mode in Gpu tweak for example, that'll make them run @1100/1650 all the time even idle in windows

Ahaaa dual screen.. I see. That's a problem I'm afraid :/

Try just one screen when gaming.

For the OSD i use radeon pro, it's a great tool and it's got dynamic framerate control(evening out those framerates, and not adding latency like v-sync can do) And it has a ton of other features(smaa/fxaa/sweetFX), frankly I don't know what I'd do w/o it.

Hmm interesting point. I might see if Afterburner has this feature as well.

I'm tellin you tho, you need to try Radeon Pro, it's a great. And it has most features, nice to have one program instead of like 3-4 different ones.

I'll do some tests gaming with 2 monitors when I get this pile of computer-parts looking like a computer again lol

Yeah I've tried it. It is quite good and I may look at going back but afterburner is good for now and more actively fixed up / developed.

Afterburner has framelimiting as well which I use for games that the vsync sucks like mad.

RadeonPro has dynamic V-sync

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5