cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

N56VZ full load voltage issue

St1ll
Level 7
Hi guys,
i just got this new notebook, and I noticed the following: when the CPU turbo boost kicks off, frequency goes all the way up to 3,2ghz (and that's normal), and voltage raises to 1,24 volt!!

1,24volt for a i7-3630qm looks A LOT to me. This is a 4.5ghz voltage, not a 3.2 one. And of course CPU gets very hot (96C with prime, 88-92 while playing Skyrim or other heavy stuff).

This happens with every bios I tried: 211, 212, 215.

My workaround was to set the max cpu multiplier to 30x with ThrotteStop. This prevents the motherboard to push so much volts in, with the VID topping at 1,16v @ full load. But still, as I said, this is just a workaround.

I tried to contact ASUS here in Italy, but operator only proved his incapacity. In fact, he didn't even know what I was talking about.

That being said, what can I do? I'm concerned for the temperatures. Replacing the thermal compound shouldn't be necessary, since the cause of the issue I believe is VID related (indeed, GPU temp max out at 69/70°, and it's overclocked).

Thanks in advance for any help!
5 REPLIES 5

cl-scott
Level 12
Since you're in Italy, there's not a lot I can do to help you unfortunately, except to say that it sounds like you should send it in for an RMA.

Pitcher1
Level 9
Could you contact ASUS locate TSD in Italy, If no, Please let me know.

thx for your help. i decided to return the notebook. hopefully the next one will work as intended.
i'll let you know!

X-ROG
Level 15
1.24V is a little high but not abnormal at 3.2GHz for a 4C/8T, and if you could OC it would scale easily like you say to 4+ on 'stock' voltages as many do. 90C is below the max temp of over 100C according to Intel and your CPU could simply be a little leakier than the average, which means it gets a bit hotter. It's not ideal, but your system is not unstable either. Are the fans kicking up noticeably with plenty of hot air out the vent?

kerryjosber
Level 7
good info to me, i decided to return the notebook. hopefully the next one will work as intended.thank you