cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More Issues

Retired
Not applicable
Hello once again... I had a post a couple months back and I received some help that seemed to fix the problem then with my G73JH-A2 laptop. I return with another issue that perplexes me.

Recently my G73 has decided to just start randomly freezing. Nothing seems to be causing it, either.

My CPU idles at around 55 C, which from what I understand is find. The GPU at around 75. Under stress it doesn't change that much. After a freeze the temps are still relatively low. Heat does not seem to be the issue. Nonetheless, I did blast out the fans to get rid of some dust.

Before I go through the woes of reformatting I'd really like to see if perhaps its something with the laptop. I just updated graphics drivers and will be doing the same to other drivers--this evening most likely.

Any help or ideas would be appreciated.
10 REPLIES 10

Chastity
Level 10
Your GPU is idling at 75C? Did you disable PowerPlay for some reason, and have it set to Max Performance? Is your gpu idling down to 400-405 on AC power?

In regards to other matters, for the freezing issue, did you upgrade the Intel SATA drivers to RST? If so, try uninstalling them, and let Win 7 install their MS drivers. (Check Device Manager to make sure any Intel driver is uninstalled)
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

Retired
Not applicable
Something bonkers is definitely going on. i just was running a virus scan and its shot up to 70+ on the CPU temp. Also, 400-405 what? Power usage?

And what is PowerPlay ?
EDIT: Google works wonders. No, power play is not disabled. It's set to maximize performance.

Also thought I'd throw this in here, temp info is being obtained from Lavalys EVEREST ultimate edition

Chastity
Level 10
OK, and does the unit get this hot when running on battery settings?

( the 400-405 is the core clock speeds. You can use an application like GPU Observer or HWINFO32 (using the sensor app) to get temps and clock speeds. )

Retired
Not applicable
GPU-z is giving the same readings.

It is also probably worth mentioning that I just moved locales where my laptop sits. It used to be on my desk in my dorm room in philadelphia. Now I'm back home in california. However, it is in a much cooler room with much more room behind it to vent air. This problem has only arisen since I've gotten back home, however.

EDIT: It just froze again (while on battery) I checked temps immediately, and they had cooled down to about 60 degrees. They're going down even more as we speak. The GPU is still around 75.

Retired
Not applicable
I never have it off the brick, I couldn't tell ya. I'll unplug it and let you know what the temp is after it has a half hour to adjust. Think it could be adaper related? I know some people nearby with a G73, might be able to grab his and see if it changes anything.

Chastity
Level 10
You can also use GPU-Z to monitor it as well

Retired
Not applicable
Temperatures are the same, idling using the battery. I'm backing up files and will perform a reformat if/when it freezes again.

Chastity
Level 10
The GPU always being at 75C is something bad. Probably the sensor. Maybe the paste/heatsink. Either way, it should be opened up and checked. If you don't have the expertise, then I suggest an RMA with a local Asus ASP. Since you are in CA, maybe you can bring it to the Fremont center?

Retired
Not applicable
I've done a lot with Towers, repastes and so on so forth--I wouldn't know what to look for in regards to sensors though. I also have very little (none) experience with laptops. Will it void the warranty if I open it up?

Also, what temp is considered good for the GPU?