cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G55vw core cpu temperatures

redtiger
Level 7
Hi all!
I recently got a new g55vw. It has been working well. However i began monitoring its temperature and I found something surprising.
GPU is fine with an idle of about 42-45c. And when gaming it can go to 68-73 (far cry 3 on medium)

The problem is the CPU temperatures. On start up, it averages at about 44-46c. However, it would then go up to about 52-55c.
This is also very minimum usage, with google chrome in background and nothing else.

Im worried as after checking, I found out that usual CPU temps would be around 40-41c with minimal usage. My g55 doesnt even go that low at start up.

I suspect that my CPU fan is not working properly?? As I tried placing my fingers near the rear air vents and felt nothing..

Help would be much appreciated !!!
Play by the Game Theory
13 REPLIES 13

ggBanks
Level 10
Your fan is working properly! I have the G55 and I had the same issue before. Now I say had, because I opened my laptop and changed the thermal paste of the CPU and the GPU, and now my Idle temps are the following:
CPU - (42-46)
GPU - (35-40)
Most of the time the default thermal paste that the vendors use is not the best on the market. The one I used was Arctic Silver Ceramique 2, because it is non conductive.

which do u think better? Ceramique 2 or Arctic Silver 5?

How do you apply the paste without voiding warranty?

Thx alot for your advice!
However I wouldnt be changing the paste anytime soon. I just got the laptop a week ago and I myself am not experienced in the assembly of a laptop yet.
Play by the Game Theory

aephemerae
Level 8
Your temps are well within fine limits there mate. Im hitting some 80C in full load so you're quite well on the cool side. Start worrying when you hit 90C. That's when you should consider cleaning the fan or replacing the thermal paste.

oh and sidenote: i played through far cry 3 @1080 on high/ultra with smooth FPS so you may want to bump up your settings 🙂

ggBanks
Level 10
I had the 80C when I was with the stock paste, but now the maximum the CPU reaches is 70 and most of the times its even less.

ggBanks
Level 10
AS 5 is just a bit better than the Ceramique, but it is electrically conductive, so you have to be careful not to f*** up your system!
If you want to change the paste, you have to disassemble your laptop, which voids your warranty. I recommend this only to people that know what are they doing.

ggBanks wrote:
AS 5 is just a bit better than the Ceramique, but it is electrically conductive, so you have to be careful not to f*** up your system!
If you want to change the paste, you have to disassemble your laptop, which voids your warranty. I recommend this only to people that know what are they doing.

Ok thanks gg, so overall. ASC2 is way safer than AS5 rite. Oh yeah one more thing. Which method of pasting is good? I know there are few method (Eg: Spread/Dot/Line/Cross). Is the spread method in the video recommended?

ggBanks
Level 10
Yes the video is just the way I did it 🙂