cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

can use pcie slot 6 for sound card?

zzorro
Level 7
hi mate i've some problem on my new setup...can i use pcie slot 6 for my sound card?

my system
asus maxsimus v extreme z77
asus gtx680 dcu2 top x2 sli (use 3 slot for 1 card) 😞
sound blaster x-fi titanium pro audio

slot 1 for gpu #1
slot 2 covered by gpu 1
slot 3 for gpu #2
slot 4 covered by gpu 2
slot 5 covered by gpu 2
slot 6 empty..can i used this slot for my sound card? :confused:
My siggy
Masterpiece Legendary Work Station & Gaming System Dual Loop Liquid Cooling Rig ®
Masterpiece Legendary audiophile Reference Series - Ht & Hifi Entertainment System ®
9 REPLIES 9

HiVizMan
Level 40
I assume you have tried this? And what was the outcome?
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
I assume you have tried this? And what was the outcome?

i have not tried it,lest anything will happen..
My siggy
Masterpiece Legendary Work Station & Gaming System Dual Loop Liquid Cooling Rig ®
Masterpiece Legendary audiophile Reference Series - Ht & Hifi Entertainment System ®

TenBlade
Level 11
It should work, the indentation makes the small connecting part sit right in the larger slot. I did the same once with a sound card or wi-fi card (can´t remember exactly), had no problems.

TenBlade wrote:
It should work, the indentation makes the small connecting part sit right in the larger slot. I did the same once with a sound card or wi-fi card (can´t remember exactly), had no problems.

are sure that there is no interference on my system..
My siggy

cl-scott
Level 12
It should work, it's just kind of a waste of a higher bandwidth PCIe slot. I had one in a x16 slot on my HTPC, only I forgot to set the BIOS to not default to thinking anything in that slot was a video card. Then it just became easier to remove the ODD which was blocking the card, but the unit booted just fine otherwise.

cl-scott wrote:
It should work, it's just kind of a waste of a higher bandwidth PCIe slot. I had one in a x16 slot on my HTPC, only I forgot to set the BIOS to not default to thinking anything in that slot was a video card. Then it just became easier to remove the ODD which was blocking the card, but the unit booted just fine otherwise.

there whether i can still x8,x8 in my setup or x8,x4?or just dtec 1 card?
My siggy

zzorro
Level 7
any one can help me?
My siggy

That's cool you got yours to work I have the same setup as you but can't get my board to recognise the video card when it is in the black slot 2b it sounds like yours works... I've been through 5 boards and all have the same issue what are you running... My sound card is mounted in the middle as the only way my GPU is found is if I locate the second GPU in the 3rd red slot and my sound card I'd not recognized !

Any info you can provide would be a big help !!! 🙂

HiVizMan
Level 40
My friend just try it.

You will not damage anything I promise you.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.