cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

electrostatic discharge Help

computer_tec
Level 7
If i touch my PSU that will be plugged into the wall will that discharge all the electrostatic that i am carrying.

Help much appreciated.
5 REPLIES 5

HiVizMan
Level 40
Ground the static by touching a grounded appliance, wiring a ground circuit, or by applying a neutralizing charge. Static accumulates in areas where the charge cannot escape.

The minute you start moving around and especially if you are walking on carpets the static will just build up again. When working with electronics always use a anti static device. Wrist bands are the easiest to use.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Ground the static by touching a grounded appliance, wiring a ground circuit, or by applying a neutralizing charge. Static accumulates in areas where the charge cannot escape.

The minute you start moving around and especially if you are walking on carpets the static will just build up again. When working with electronics always use a anti static device. Wrist bands are the easiest to use.

You mean to say that I SHOULDN'T be shuffling my feet across shag carpeting while carrying a CPU in my hand? 😛

Kind of a funny story on the general topic of ESD. Worked for a national retailer, and a particular vendor (not Asus) was pushing for more repairs to be done in the stores, but they wouldn't allow stores to do repairs until someone from that company had inspected the place personally. In one case they refused to allow a particular store because of a lack of ESD protection. I was in on a conference call about that, and it was funny listening to someone from my (then) employer saying how they had like a 50lbs solid iron block, and all the benches were wired to it for grounding.

And finally, let's take a moment to remember those who came before us, and be glad that modern technology has reduced the size of ESD wrist straps from days of yore like below.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Yep, wearing synthetics or walking around on synthetic carpets help you build up a healthy charge. Touching the taps or houshold plumbing is a good way of grounding yourself. Touching the PSU is not....the PSU casement is not connected to the grid....or at least I hope not or a static charge will be the least of your worries....;)

TenBlade
Level 11
When fiddling with the rig, I always touch the bare metal on the case, made it a habit of doing that every time I grab or touch an item, and haven´t had any problems.
HiVis, you´re mentioning a wrist band, is it a special one, or doesn´t it matter as long as it´s made of metal?

HiVizMan
Level 40

This is what I use when I mess with my kit. Even change memory.

Made by 3M
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.