cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5x1 on Single ASUS MATRIX-HD7970-P-3GD5?

GamerGirlAlice
Level 7
can i run a 5x1 1080p setup on a single ASUS MATRIX-HD7970-P-3GD5? i know it is a strong card but the question is how strong?

NZXT Pink Phantom

AliceP.com
ChrisRayMemorial.com

7 REPLIES 7

GamerGirlAlice
Level 7
i know this card has enough ports my question is if it has the horsepower to power 5 1080p monitors on its own or should i invest in 2?

NZXT Pink Phantom

AliceP.com
ChrisRayMemorial.com

GamerGirlAlice
Level 7
dose anyone know if a single ASUS MATRIX-HD7970-P-3GD5 has enough horsepower to power a 5x1 (5400x1920) at decent FPS? or should i invest in dual crossfire cards to ensure it has enough?

NZXT Pink Phantom

AliceP.com
ChrisRayMemorial.com

Dartmaul
Level 12
If you worry about is it able to setup x5 eyefinity then yes, but you'll have to use DP monitors or active dongles.

If you mean fps then no, it wouldn't be enough for sure.
You'll have to get at lest 3 such cards.

I use eyefinity with 5040x1050 res (3x 1680x1050) and have 2 H2O cooled well-overcloked (1200/1700) 7970 cards to handle this res at smooth fps.

Dartmaul wrote:
If you worry about is it able to setup x5 eyefinity then yes, but you'll have to use DP monitors or active dongles.

If you mean fps then no, it wouldn't be enough for sure.
You'll have to get at lest 3 such cards.

I use eyefinity with 5040x1050 res (3x 1680x1050) and have 2 H2O cooled well-overcloked (1200/1700) 7970 cards to handle this res at smooth fps.

i was looking at dp to dvi cables. heard aslong u dont go over 1080p monitors you dont need the active adapters. it has 4 dp ports and 2 dvi on this republic of gamers version

NZXT Pink Phantom

AliceP.com
ChrisRayMemorial.com

Dartmaul
Level 12
Active isn't about resolution, you're confusing it with Single/Dual link DVI.
Graphic card is producing digital signal, but VGA, DVI and actually HDMI (HDMI is digital for sure but in this certain aspect it does work as analog, can't figure out why) are analog interface so graphic card has to convert the signal into analog first.
But it has only two blocks those are converting digital->analog.
So the active dongle is the same converter, but external. If you want to use more then 2 screens - you have to use native DP connection or use active dongles. So in your case: two DVI ports can be used natively, all other should be used with active dongles.

I guess you can find something about that in this thread

GamerGirlAlice
Level 7
im starting to think a single ASUS PB278Q will be a better monitor choice. i heard that display port also carys audio, is that true?

NZXT Pink Phantom

AliceP.com
ChrisRayMemorial.com

Dartmaul
Level 12
Correct. HDMI and DP can carry up to 7.1 sound. Digital off course.
Choosing between one huge monitor and few smaller depends on which aspect ratio you need (probably depends on which type of games you like)

In some games (strategy or mmo for example) eyefinity is useless. But in FPS, racing or flight simulators extremely wide resolution gives you a really nasty immersing effect. Side screens aren't very informative but are improving game experience very well.

But keep in mind that you'll need as thin screen edges (borders) as possible to build a good eyefinity massive.

IMO 1920*1200 res is the best for x3 eyefinity.

Nasty eyefinity video