cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-ATX Standoff Pattern

savatage
Level 7
I'm building my buddy a new system. Putting in the RIVE now. I am worried about something. I followed the instructions for installing the standoffs/screw hole barrels in the E-ATX pattern the case manual says (HAF 932 Advanced) I had put a standoff directly under the Patsburg chip (what I would call the southbridge?) but there is no screwhole through the board there. It's hole K in the case manual. Should I remove that standoff? I'm worried that since there isn't a screw hole there, it might scratch the underside of the board in that spot. Then again, I wonder if it is needed for stability or support and that it's OK to have it touch the board. I'm confused. Anyone know the answer to my weird and anxious question? Appreciate any help provided. Thanks!
Using ASUS motherboards exclusively since model P2L97.
8 REPLIES 8

savatage
Level 7
OK, I'm yanking it. There isn't anything going to be plugging in near it, so I don't think support is needed there. I sure as heck don't want it to scratch this sweet board. It's gone. Continuing with CPU and cooler installation...

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Only put standoffs under the holes for them none are used as support! The pattern is totally standard so the manual is wrong or you aren't reading it right;)

HiVizMan
Level 40
Use the standard ATX stand off for the RIVE boards
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Appreciate all the replies! The RIVE states it is an E-ATX but it is not truly E-ATX, the standoff pattern is regular ATX. I actually followed the instructions on the motherboard backplate, which for E-ATX it said to put in 13 standoffs. Obviously, I ended up with 4 extra standoffs. They included the extra one under the motherboard, and 3 others at the very right side edge of the backplate, 3 inches away from the edge of the board itself. Finished the assembly, and he is rockin his new system now. We went with the cheapie 3820 CPU, which we'll swap for an Ivy Bridge-E next year (when he has more cash). 32 gigs of RAM, HD7870, he's all happy!

I've been building my own computers for 15 years, starting with an ASUS P2L97 board. Old school! Paid $964 for the PII 300 MHz CPU I put in that board. I've always used ASUS boards and they've never let me down. Well OK I did have one DOA, but you'll have that on occasion. I love this forum. Plus, my name is Roger and I have always gone by ROG. Now my favorite manufacturer has ROG boards. Awesome!

My current problem since I got his system together? Swapping files to his computer with a thumb drive seems to have screwed up the USB ports in my P5Q Pro Turbo. Intemittent random disconnects and reconnects of my USB mouse. Tried different mice, all do the same thing. Different USB ports... same thing. Have tried sfc scannow, diasbling & re-enabling USB via BIOS and uninstalling & reinstalling mouse driver software. No dice... same problem remains. Afraid I may have toasted my mobo. The disconnect/reconnect problem eventuall ends up with a mouse that never reconnects and does not show in Device Manager. Switch ports... never recognized. I try to reboot... it gets stuck at "windows is shutting down" and I have to hit the reset button. I am now fully exasperated. Got my buddy workin, and now I'm dead in the water. No gaming for me!

Time for a reboot... 😞

Area_66
Level 11
it's not a rocket science the standoffs, what you should do is to count the holes on the motherboard ( in your case 9 ) . so you put 9 screw aside and start to screw the board , if you have a screw left at the end, it's because one standoff is under the board shorting something.

I never look at the label on the case, if you look at this Intel ATX motherboard, contrary to the Asus board like you have it as 11 screws, look at the red circles those are usually used on uATX boards

I know I hate it when someone doesn't update their thread with a resolution... and I just found this shortcut in my backup desktop folder, so...

What a pain in the ace this was.

So my mouse problem. I'm more of a hardware guy. Got a buddy who is a programmer, who helps me in the software dept. He laughed his arse off at this one. Vaporization is NOT conducive to clear thinking! I figured maybe somewhere a mouse driver got screwed up, so I tried a repair install of windows. BIG mistake. Could not access my boot drive after that. Programmer buddy stopped laughing. He and I slaved for a couple of days, swapping hard drives to different ports, mass file switching, repairing, reinstalling, ad nauseum.

Final decision was to move to 64 bit Win 7 Pro. Lost a years worth of pictures, 3 months of emails and a few other things, but saved the majority of my stuff. Reminded me to back up more often. Now I can see all 4 gigs of my ram (XP 32 bit before). 7 took a bit of getting used to, but I got it down now.

Happy ending! 🙂

Now I jones for a ROG board and a Sandy Bridge-E.

And no it ain't rocket science, but the first parts shipment I got was the case. The backplate had the E-ATX standoff placement printed on it. I was excited to be building again so I decided to get it ready for when the board arrived. Put the standoffs in where it said they were supposed to be and continued to wait for the rest of the parts. Once the board came, the dilemma ensued. It'd all good, it worked out great. Buddy's system is working flawlessly since assembly, not one problem. Woot!

maximiza
Level 11
its always good to eye the mobo holes while in mobo tray first before putting standoffs in.