cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Remove the IHS or Not, that is the Question...

DaemonCantor
Level 13
I've been asked before how to remove an IHS (Integrated Heat Spreader) From a CPU. Well I can't say how this is accomplished in an Intel CPU but I have seen various people using Torches and other Really HOT Tools to do this on an AMD CPU which is VERY WRONG! In the pictures below you can see how easy it is and with this understanding I can REALLY understand why those IDIOTS wasted so many CPU's.

Now simply put, the AMD CPU's don't have Epoxy under the lid nor any other type of glue other than a Silicone Glue that is easly cut with a Razor Blade.

Yes this is an Athlon 64 x2 but the procedure is the same with all AMD CPU's.
This is with the IHS Off the DIE and as you can clearly see the Silicone Glue used around the Attachment Point with a small Gap for Air/Heat Flow. Also if you look closely, the Chip is also the same size Physically as the Phenom II x4 1100t.

Be Careful with the Razor Blade as you can Damage the Tiny Resistors that are around the Silicone Wafer.

This is with the IHS Removed :

After removing the IHS just use a little Acetone to remove the Paste and then if you want clean up the IHS and re-apply it with some Silicone Caulking from your local Hardware Store and new Thermal Compound or just figure out how to lower your Heatsink 2mm and attach it directly.

Now why would you go to the trouble of doing this in the first place? Well EVERY OC'er here on these forums will tell you that it's easier to keep the CPU Cool and also enable you to go even Faster! Yes removing the Metal Cap will allow you to more Efficiently cool the Silicone plus it take less time to cool it back down.

Now the Warnings!
I don't recommend doing this MOD with out you doing some research first as to the Why's and Why Not's.
I will not be responsible for you messing up your system.
The Silicone Wafer is fragile so use Care when putting on the Heatsink.

Now the reason I did this in the first place is, I was looking for a way to better attach my Heatsink to my CPU with out having to use a Custom Bracket that still bothers me. Now I have the ability to attach the IHS back on to the CPU if I so Choose.
7 REPLIES 7

sectionate
Level 12
too much effort for not much gain with current amd cpus. I dunno if you actually did this yourself or just copy and pasted it.
Crosshair IV 1090T 4093.7 - Crosshair V FX - 8350 Batch # 1243PGT 4.422MHz - 4816.08 MHz 1.5v - GSKILL F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR(x2)1087.6 11-12-10 1.5volts - ViewSonic VX2439wm - Acer GD235HZ - SyncMaster P2350 - PowerColor Red Devil RX 480 8GBD5-3DH/OC - Current Mode: 5760 x 1080 - (retired) ASUS GTX660DC2O2GD5 - Nvidia 3D Vision Wired - HAF 932 - Corsair HX850 - Corsair H100i - latest quakelive.com - Day thirteen 60fps - as always I'm powered by Futurelooks.com

sectionate wrote:
too much effort for not much gain with current amd cpus. I dunno if you actually did this yourself or just copy and pasted it.

No it's not copy and paste sectionate, I did it because the Phenom II x6 1100t I have came with out an IHS. So I removed 2 of them off Old CPU's that I have laying around. One was a Athlon 64 x2 and the other was an old Athlon 64 754 pin just to see if I read correctly a post on the AMD Forums... Both IHS's are identical except for the stamp on the front. even the AMD, H, and S stamps on the inside are the same. Now the Wafer of the Athlon 64 itself is about 1/2 the size of the Athlon 64 x2. Just to show here are the two of them.

BTW thanks for the vote of confidence.

Area_66
Level 11
same Technic with the new Ivy CPU , but the sealant is more strong , so you knock the blade with a small hammer.

DaemonCantor
Level 13
Thank you Area66, Now I know how to handle the Ivy CPU as well.

DaemonCantor wrote:
Thank you Area66, Now I know how to handle the Ivy CPU as well.

You mean with something *other* than a blowtorch? 😛

Myk SilentShadow wrote:
You mean with something *other* than a blowtorch? 😛

I would prefer not to use such Hot Items on CPU's although they do tend to cook the Silicone Wafer at around 2000 degrees Fahrenheit....

Update to this adventure: I just placed the Athlon 64 x2 IHS on the Phenom II x64 1100t that I have after Polishing the you know what out of all sides to near mirror like and effectively obliterating any markings as to what CPU it came from. This was for two reasons 1st was just mentioned and second was to get as good of Heat Transfer from Silicone to IHS and also with the Lid Polished I get about the same thing between the IHS and the Heatsink. Then I attached the IHS back to the CPU with Black High Temp Automotive Silicon Gasket Sealer.

Guess what??? I'm typing on it right now fully up and even had a chance to test some Thermals while Playing Crysis 1 and 2 along with a Match in Unreal Tournament III. My Thermals are not as good with the IHS off, about 3-5 Degrees Higher and it doesn't cool back down as quick but I feel safer that my Heatsink is better applied and moves around less from Vibration of the Fan.

DaemonCantor
Level 13
Now I got the Pictures of the IHS and the CPU that it will go on done up but remember that the picture of the CPU was taken way back when I received this setup back in June/July. The Pictures of the IHS was done yesterday just before I mounted it all up and in my excitement I didn't take a picture of it all together.

Anyway here's the Final Shoot:

Along with this to show that it's still a Phenom II x6 1100t:

I hope this thread was of use to others that may have the ambition to remove the IHS ether to OC it better or just replace the Krappy Thermal Paste that AMD put in it.