New ROGer Array

G73JW Recovery disks failing

I could make a lot of angry comments right now but I'll keep it to this.

I bought a Crucial M4 SSD to install Windows on. I put in all 5 discs and the process ended in around 55 minutes. After that my PC restarted and it asked me to insert some type of boot media.

Obviously I didn't have any of those connected. So I tried again with my main harddrive connected... another 55 minutes wasted as the same message came up.

So now I can't install Windows on my SSD and it's almost useless. What the heck do I do now?

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

The ASUS Factory Recovery process from DVD's typically takes about 90-100 minutes. I suspect one or more of your Recovery DVD's are corrupt.

Does a hidden FAT32 partition of 25GB exist on your SSD after the failed attempt? You'll need a "boot from CD" partition management utility such as Partition Wizard to determine this.

If so, with just the SSD installed in your laptop, try pressing F9 during startup to activate the ASUS Factory Recovery from that partition. This process should take only about 45 minutes. You could also try making this partition bootable by following @rewben's recommendation in http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...l=1#post197748.

If that fails, you can download a legitimate .ISO file of the Windows 7 version that shipped with your laptop from the Digital River website , burn it to DVD or USB flash drive, use it to install Windows to your SSD, install your device drivers, then activate the installation with the Windows Product ID on the label on the bottom of your laptop.
    Last edited by dstrakele; 12-22-2012 at 09:03 PM.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT