Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33
  1. #1
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    40

    ASUS G74SX: Replacing DVD-ROM with Third Hard Drive on an HDD Caddy

    A pleasant day to all here in ROG!

    I hope everyone is having a great day so far after all the "End of the World" rumors. LOL

    I have searched on the forums with regards to removing the DVD-ROM of an ASUS G74SX but didn't see any results, and so I went on posting this for help. I would like to ask if anyone over here has ever tried removing or replacing the DVD-ROMs of their ASUS G74SX. I do apologize if I haven't found it myself and would appreciate it if anyone can point one out for me.

    Anyway, I'm planning to replace the DVD-ROM of my ASUS G74SX with an HDD Caddy to put a third hard drive. I have provided a link below to the one I'm thinking of buying for my purpose.

    http://www.amazon.com/SATA-caddy-12-...ords=HDD+Caddy

    Someone might scratch their head with what I'm thinking, but I just tend to like more storage and I rarely use my DVD-ROM anyway, that's why I've decided on taking this route.

    Can anyone help me with my curiosity and give me any hints or tips that they have with regards to this? Thank you very much to all people who took their time to read my post and may each and everyone of us have a very nice day!

    Kyle Lorenze M. Yumul

  2. #2
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    1

    I have done the same thing to my g74sx with a silverstone hdd caddy. I currently have a 750 Gb drive in mine working just fine. This post right here is a dis-assembly guide for the G74SX it shows you how to take the ODD out and replace the face of the caddy. http://btoforums.com/showthread.php?t=3525

    I hope this helps! Good Luck!

  3. #3
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    40

    Thank you very very much for your kind response! I have just checked out the link that you have provided and all I can say is WOOOOOOOW! Thank you very much for the link to such a great step-by-step disassembly instructions and for sharing that you have successfully done the same thing as to what I'm thinking of doing to my laptop. I shall pursue on my plan on placing a third hard drive on my laptop in that case. Again, thank you very much and may you and everyone who has checked this thread a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!

  4. #4
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Reputation
    13
    Posts
    2,441

    that is cool and good share, but becarful to dismantle, that is good suggest to change CD-ROM to HDD. why you want to add HDD, is it not enough space to used?

  5. #5
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    40

    Well, it's not that I don't have enough space, I just want to explore new things that I haven't tried yet. Actually, what I'm planning to do is something that I'm very fond of trying out in my laptop. I have replaced the two 500GB WD Scorpio Black that was originally installed on my ASUS G74SX-BBK9 and installed a Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD as my OS Disk, and a 1TB Seagate Momentus LP 5400rpm for my Games Disk and Backup Storage Disk. But what I really want to try out on my laptop way back before is to implement RAID on it, but considering my chipset doesn't support Hardware RAID, I decided to try out Software RAID using Dynamic Disk and creating a Striped Disk for my Games Disk to increase its performance. Because of this, the 'HDD Caddy' idea came into my mind and now I'm going to try implementing it on my laptop. I bought another 1TB Seagate Momentus LP 5400rpm last December 24 and since I'll be receiving my HDD Caddy today, I'm hoping my idea will work flawlessly.

  6. #6
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    6

    I have G74sx-bbk7 and I already have two drives, one SSD and one HDD 500 gb, I want to remove DVD drive and put caddy with third hard drive, is it possible to connect three hard drives on motherboard since I can see only two connections?

  7. #7
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    40

    Quote Originally Posted by g74sx_dubrovnik View Post
    I have G74sx-bbk7 and I already have two drives, one SSD and one HDD 500 gb, I want to remove DVD drive and put caddy with third hard drive, is it possible to connect three hard drives on motherboard since I can see only two connections?
    I have a G74SX-BBK9 that I bought from BestBuy and I have successfully replaced my DVD drive with an HDD Caddy. Here is the one that I bought for my laptop:

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    Just make sure that the SSD is not the one in the HDD Caddy because I have read other posts from a different thread that G74SX doesn't boot on that specific SATA Port (haven't tried and verified this myself since my SSD works perfectly on the regular SATA ports). I am not quite sure if there's a difference with regards to the BBK7 and BBK9 versions of BestBuy but I'm pretty much sure it will work.

    Are you also planning to use Dynamic Striped Disk (Software RAID through Windows 7 Disk Management) together with your second (HDD) drive that's why you're placing a third drive? Or maybe just to increase storage space? I did both myself and it works well also. But nevertheless, going back to your main question, an HDD Caddy will work for a third drive on the G74SX-BBK7 to replace your DVD drive.

  8. #8
    ROG Member Array
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    6

    Quote Originally Posted by kyloboy2004 View Post
    I have a G74SX-BBK9 that I bought from BestBuy and I have successfully replaced my DVD drive with an HDD Caddy. Here is the one that I bought for my laptop:

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    Just make sure that the SSD is not the one in the HDD Caddy because I have read other posts from a different thread that G74SX doesn't boot on that specific SATA Port (haven't tried and verified this myself since my SSD works perfectly on the regular SATA ports). I am not quite sure if there's a difference with regards to the BBK7 and BBK9 versions of BestBuy but I'm pretty much sure it will work.

    Are you also planning to use Dynamic Striped Disk (Software RAID through Windows 7 Disk Management) together with your second (HDD) drive that's why you're placing a third drive? Or maybe just to increase storage space? I did both myself and it works well also. But nevertheless, going back to your main question, an HDD Caddy will work for a third drive on the G74SX-BBK7 to replace your DVD drive.
    Thanks man
    I didn´t hope someone would answer so quickly
    All understood, just that I am not sure where to connect third hard drive?
    When I open cover on the back, I can see only two connections to motherboard for hdd, at this moment, my first drive is SSD with windows installed on it, and second one is 1TB seagate which I removed from external hard drive and installed as internal.
    Just want to know where to connect cable of third hdd?
    Regarding your question about RAID, I am not sure how to do that, so for now, I´ll pass
    Maybe after I get third hard drive and install it, I will look into it

  9. #9
    ROG Enthusiast Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    40

    Quote Originally Posted by g74sx_dubrovnik View Post
    Thanks man
    I didn´t hope someone would answer so quickly
    All understood, just that I am not sure where to connect third hard drive?
    When I open cover on the back, I can see only two connections to motherboard for hdd, at this moment, my first drive is SSD with windows installed on it, and second one is 1TB seagate which I removed from external hard drive and installed as internal.
    Just want to know where to connect cable of third hdd?
    Regarding your question about RAID, I am not sure how to do that, so for now, I´ll pass
    Maybe after I get third hard drive and install it, I will look into it
    I apologize for my late response, been quite busy with many things at work and at home.

    Anyway, with regards to your first question:

    "...Just want to know where to connect cable of third hdd?..."

    you don't need to look where to plug the third HDD. The HDD Caddy is basically a case for your third HDD that will replace your Optical Drive, and that will connect just like how the Optical Drive connects to your laptop. In short, the HDD Caddy can be considered a gender changer from the Optical Drive SATA Port to the HDD SATA Port (excuse me for not being able to use accurate/correct terms to explain the two different SATA Ports, I honestly am not also aware of the right terms for them). To explain this, please do check out the images of the HDD Caddy on the link that I provided on my previous response, which I also placed below:

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    If you try to remove your laptop's Optical Drive, you'll see one of the images of the HDD Caddy corresponds to the SATA Connection of your Optical Drive and another image shows the SATA Connectors that will go to your third HDD. You won't be needing any SATA Connectors or any other cable aside from the HDD Caddy for you to connect your third HDD to your laptop, it has everything you need.

    With regards to my RAID question, I just got curious if you had any plans like that also. If you had any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. If you also want some pictures of the HDD Caddy and comparisons to my Optical Drive, I can remove my third HDD and show them for your convenience.

  10. #10
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    2

    What should I expect for performance from a drive connected through the DVD sata port, using a HDD Caddy? Has anyone done a test with HD Tune Pro? That would great to know. I would like to use three 480GB SDD drives in this notebook, no need for a DVD drive. Anyone?

    TIA

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •