Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array hirethestache's Avatar

I love this thread

I just got my hands on a 600gb intel 320 series SSD anw as wondering what to do with it...now I know!

Quote Originally Posted by floydsproduce View Post
    What should I expect for performance from a drive connected through the DVD sata port, using a HDD Caddy? Has anyone done a test with HD Tune Pro? That would great to know. I would like to use three 480GB SDD drives in this notebook, no need for a DVD drive. Anyone?

TIA
    Any update on this specific question?

ROG Enthusiast Array

What should I expect for performance from a drive connected through the DVD sata port, using a HDD Caddy? Has anyone done a test with HD Tune Pro? That would great to know. I would like to use three 480GB SDD drives in this notebook, no need for a DVD drive. Anyone?

TIA
    First of all, I humbly apologize for not being able to respond to my thread for a long time, been busy at work and many stuff and wasn't able to check my ROG Account.

Anyway, I honestly haven't tested the performance of my third HDD that's inserted on the DVD SATA Port using my HDD Caddy, but so far I've noticed that my Seagate Momentus 1TB 5400rpm HDD that's plugged into it is not having any issues nor is it causing any slow-downs on my computer in general. Just like what I mentioned on my previous posts, I'm using my Third HDD for a Dynamic Disk (using Software RAID 0 on the Disk Management of Windows 7) together with my second HDD to partition my Games Disk.

I can honestly tell you that I don't know how to properly identify the performance of it, so since you mentioned HD Tune Pro, I'll try to download the free version of it to test its performance. However, will the free version be able to test it fully or do I need the full version? If there's anyone else who can suggest a good HDD Benchmark Tool aside from HD Tune Pro that's free, that would be great and I'm willing to try to test my setup.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Someone messaged me privately on my Skype account that made me aware that there are new messages here. Please do ask your questions here so that other people will also benefit from any questions connected to the topic of this post. Thank you very much!

Would you see any performance issues if using the third drive as a general work drive? I am a video editor, and would love to put my extra 600gb SSD in that slot if the performance would be equal to that out of my main C: ssd.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by hirethestache View Post
    Would you see any performance issues if using the third drive as a general work drive? I am a video editor, and would love to put my extra 600gb SSD in that slot if the performance would be equal to that out of my main C: ssd.
    I've checked your Intel 320 Series 600GB SSD and it turns out to be SATA II (SATA 3Gb/s), so I believe that, performance-wise, the SATA port where the DVD Drive is connected to (which you'll be replacing with an HDD Caddy) will suffice.

However, comparing your main drive C: SSD to your Intel 320 Series 600GB SSD will be something I won't be sure about, since I don't have any idea about the brand of your main C: SSD. If it's a SATA III (SATA 6Gb/s) SSD, and if it's installed on SATA 0 Port (the left SATA Port that's built-in to the motherboard) then I'm almost certain it will still be faster than your Intel 320 Series 600GB SSD, since most likely (if note surely) it will have a faster Read/Write speeds. Nevertheless, you'll pretty much benefit on the performance gain that you'll receive by using the Intel 320 Series 600GB SSD on your laptop for your video editing and work-related tasks, even if it's on the HDD Caddy.

ROG Enthusiast Array

you should expect that the DVD sata port in the g74 is sata2 while the others two are sata3

What is the ultimate best route to take for this? Say I want to expand at least 500 gigs by dropping a third HDD/SSD into my computer. What exactly do I need to buy? Im just plain afraid of buying the wrong part. I'd like to add that I am not looking to boot from it. I already have my main C drive as an SSD, and my D: drive as a hybrid. I would simply like to add a third drive to have as a dedicated video editing drive, so utilizing an SSD or fast hybrid in that third slot seems like the route to take.
    Last edited by hirethestache; 07-13-2013 at 07:55 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

i really don't know what caddy you should buy BECAUSE THE DESIGN OF THE DVD IS DIFFERENT EVERY TIME A NEW MODEL COMES UP and probably no manufacturer will be making a caddy for a particular model..

If you do video editing, probably you have at least 2 monitors, so you're not always on the go. I see no advantage in having a 3rd HD specially when you are limited to SATA II speed in the dvd drive bay. Adding a 3rd hd will increase the weight and shorten the battery.

You are forgetting you have a USB3 port. Its speed is around 3x faster than SATA II.
    If i were you i would buy buy the biggest 3 SSD HD and put 2 of them in the G74 and the 3rd one in a USB3 external case to make video editing.
    Last edited by fakunchas; 07-15-2013 at 01:58 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by fakunchas View Post
    i really don't know what caddy you should buy BECAUSE THE DESIGN OF THE DVD IS DIFFERENT EVERY TIME A NEW MODEL COMES UP and probably no manufacturer will be making a caddy for a particular model..

If you do video editing, probably you have at least 2 monitors, so you're not always on the go. I see no advantage in having a 3rd HD specially when you are limited to SATA II speed in the dvd drive bay. Adding a 3rd hd will increase the weight and shorten the battery.

You are forgetting you have a USB3 port. Its speed is around 3x faster than SATA II.
    If i were you i would buy buy the biggest 3 SSD HD and put 2 of them in the G74 and the 3rd one in a USB3 external case to make video editing.
    First of all, I'm sorry I wasn't able to respond to this thread for a long time, been really busy at work. Anyway, let's get back to the topic...

I can agree with what fakunchas has mentioned in some part of his reply above, adding a third HDD will increase the weight a little bit and shorten the battery. However, considering that hirethestache already has an 'Intel 320 Series 600GB SSD' already on hand, it won't require that much power to run it and it won't add that much weight, so if I were to suggest, I would still prefer using an HDD Caddy to replace the DVD-ROM. Aside from the reasons that I said above, setting it up that way will not force hirethestache to bring another external HDD when he leaves his usual video editing workplace and can always continue work wherever he wants to.

Moving on...

USB 3.0 has faster speeds than SATA II, I also agree on that part. However, taking encoding overhead on both connections into account, USB 3.0 is capable of upto 3.2Gbit/s, approximately 400MB/s, while SATA II is capable of upto 2.4 Gbit/s, approximately 300MB/s. Also again, considering the SSD that hirethestache already has, and considering that the said SSD is a SATA II SSD, then I honestly believe that he'll still be able to utilize its max speed by using an HDD Caddy for it and install it as a third HDD to replace his DVD-ROM.

Just like what I mentioned on my previous responses, I myself have replaced the DVD-ROM of my ASUS G74SX-BBK9 and installed my third HDD using an HDD Caddy successfully, which I added a link below:

http://www.amazon.com/SATA-caddy-12-...ords=HDD+Caddy

Nevertheless, I would only suggest using an HDD Caddy for a third HDD/SSD "IF AND ONLY IF" you rarely use your DVD-ROM and would like to have additional storage for your laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by fakunchas View Post
    you should expect that the DVD sata port in the g74 is sata2 while the others two are sata3
    Can anyone please verify this for me? As far as I can remember during my research from other threads, only one of the two accessible SATA Connectors of G74SX is a SATA III (it's been too long since I researched about it, so please do correct me if I'm wrong by using a link to a thread).

TIA
    I would like to follow up on floydsproduce's question way back last June 15...

I'm actually about to reformat my laptop later and replace my second and third "Seagate Momentus STBD1000100 1TB 5400 RPM 2.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Internal Notebook Hard Drives" with my recently bought "Seagate Solid State Hybrid ST1000LM014 1TB 64MB Cache 2.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Laptop Hard Drives", and this is a good opportunity for me to try testing the speeds of my second and third HDDs individually to check if they both have the same test results, before configuring them with Software RAID 0 - Dynamic Disk using Windows Disk Management. Anyone ready to suggest a specific HDD Benchmark Tool? I would love to hear from other people who has experience benchmarking HDDs. I tend to use "CrystalDiskMark" in testing my HDD speeds, including when I try to use RAM Caching.

I shall be posting my findings with regards to my HDD speeds as soon as they become available.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast