cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus software for Windows 8 compared to Windows 7 for G75VW

Piotr
Level 7
Hey guys,

Together with my brother we bought 2 G75VWs. I was unlucky though, my bro's gotten the last one with Windows 7, I had no choice and got to take a machine from new lot with Windows 8.
To my surprise, I noticed have just a small fraction of preinstalled software! Nothing like multiple desktops, no possibility to overcklock, no Asus programs like it is on Windows 7!
I've reinstalled the system, used the Asus disk and now it is even less than it was before - I don't even have Asus screensaver nor theme.
Do you have the same experience? Is it possible to install this software somehow?
I didn't even know about the Asus cloud storage, because I simply didn't have the application which was installed on Windows 7.
Especially these multiple desktops, with "gaming" one - I'd like to have it, to see, for example, CPU's temperature!

Any reply is really welcome - thanks,
Peter
4 REPLIES 4

PC_744
Level 7
Congratulations !

You have just skipped many hours of uninstalling that useless junk they call "software" from the system!. You should consider your self lucky!.

Also, in terms of CPU's,GPU's temperature and fans speed why not using free software like SpeedFan?
And in terms of multiple desktops why not just using virtuawin a free and open-source software.

At the end, I can't help you getting these "super awesome" software back, but you should consider your self lucky if you don't have them.

PC
Ahh, how I miss the old days.

Zygomorphic
Level 17
@Piotr, it is better without the software. The software just adds bloat and bugs. The CPU temp can be obtained from HWInfo64 and that saves you all the bloat that comes with the ROG-branded software. The ASUS webstorage is redundant with Google's and Microsoft's free (permanently) cloud.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

Pitcher1
Level 9
hi, if you don't want to ASUS software, you are able to uninstall, but i suggest you are not uninstall utility which in support site,but if you don't need it, you can uninstall, about ASUS webstorage, that is giving you more space to save data and when you forget bring NB or paper, you can download form the website.

Piotr
Level 7
Gents,

First off, my apologies for not replying for so long. Actually, I had terrible problems with my G75VW, which turned out to be related to the SSD drive. I just installed and ran Samsung's "optimization" software and it "optimized" my system to the extent so that it could not boot 🙂
Fortunately, I got familiar with it and even liked Windows 8 ("optimization" software from Samsung was ruining EFI information needed now to properly boot Windows 8).

This machine works like a charm - it's so fast, I don't even know that the VirtualBox is running in the background, performing heavy tasks (a direct snapshot from my previous notebook). Amazing amount of the processing power.

About the software - you were right, the less, the better. Of course, I have audio drivers, Power4Gear and AsusDVD (after I upgraded preinstalled Windows 8 to Windows 8 Pro it seemed to be useful as a part of Windows Media Center).

Once again, many thanks for creative and helpful replies.

Thanks!
Piotr