cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G55 or G75

Kayleitha
Level 7
Hello everyone, here is another g55 or g75 thread I'm afriad.

I've always been a desktop user and have never really considerd getting a gaming laptop but in the later while I've seen myself
saying NO to lan party invites just cause my computer is waaaay to heavy. Being the age I am (16), I dont have a car so I cant get me and my computer from point A to point B easily. Because of this I've been looking into getting a gaming laptop.

Now I would consider myself alright with computers but I've gotten to the point between g55 and g75 that I don't understand
what I actually need. Now I'm not a player who depends on high graphic setting to have a good time and in fact I usually end
up playing on the lower settings even though I have a desktop that can handle high + with 60+ fps at all times.

These following three laptops are what I have considerd and its also within this pricerange 11 000kr - 12 000kr (1800 USD,
1350 EURO).

Now I am aware that the page is in swedish but the specs should be understandable in english if you scroll down. 🙂

(g55)
http://www.webhallen.com/se-sv/hardvara/152970-asus_g55vw-s1020v-i7-3610qm-8gb-750gb-15.6-gtx660m_2g...

(g75)
http://www.webhallen.com/se-sv/hardvara/163359-asus_g75vw-t1392h-i7-3630qm-8gb-750gb-173-gtx670m_3gb...

http://www.webhallen.com/se-sv/hardvara/152978-asus_g75vw-t1031v-i7-3610qm-8gb-750gb-173-gtx670m_3gb...

Now it is from my understanding that the g75 is more powerful than the g55? Now like I said I'm not very worried about
high graphics settings as I prefer to play on the lower graphics but I do like to have the higher graphics available so that I can play the next gen games.

Now my plan is mainly to buy this so I can go to more lan parties and visit my father more often (I meet him quite a bit but I
rarely stay there for more than a day as I don't have a computer there). If bringing the computer to school aswell that would
be golden, Im afraid that the g75 is too big and heavy for it though.

So what we end up with is that the g55 looks better for me as I want to bring it almost everywhere but Im worried that Im
missing out if I dont get the g75 as it seems to be more powerful and also upgradeable (?). Also the screen seems better for me on the g75 as it is bigger, I dont want to sit wherever I am and wish that I had a bigger screen with me so that I can have
true gaming experience I want. Ofc I will have a screen at home that I can plug into but is 15 too small to play on when at a
lan party? Will I have to bring an extra screen?

Thank you for reading and sorry for my bad english. Any comment giving an opinion on my matter and telling me if the
g55/g75 is better for my situation is greatly appreciated, thank you.
8 REPLIES 8

Kriss1
Level 8
The G75vX, not the g75VW, is the one to have :). it is not that heavy. It is not up-gradable. The 17.3" screen is a must when having 1920x1080 resolution. with the G75 you have space for a SSD (also a must ) inside the laptop. So don't bother and take the full banana 🙂
ASUS G751JY (i7 4710HQ)

Kayleitha
Level 7
Hello, thank you for your reply!

The VX seems to be quite a bit more expensive at around 15-16 000kr (2470,14 USD, 1889,81 EURO) here in sweden. Now this was above the
price I had in mind by quite a bit but Im willing to pay if I get a very good computer for that money.

From what I understand the g55 can run games such as BF3 on high with some medium setting and always maintain 60+ fps while the g75 can run high with some ultra settings and maintain 60+ fps. What does VX compare to this? Do you have any tests or videos that shows how
good the VX actually is and if its worth the extra cash for me?

I understand what you said about the full banana thing and I think you might be very right here, could you see yourself carrying that computer to school every day without having issues with the weight?

WontonNoodle
Level 8
if you want portability, don't look at the g series....

get a y580 or a ge60 or a sager 15 inch.

Kayleitha
Level 7
As of running asus motherboards for my entire life on my desktops and never having an issue I've kinda fallen in love with them over the years....
I've ofc considerd MSI but the asus ones just seems better to me, thank you though.

WontonNoodle
Level 8
the g55 is 8.4 lbs

the ones i listed are all ~6 pounds

not including the crappy battery life of the G series (no optimus) and the huge/heavy power brick

Kayleitha
Level 7
I've looked at your previous post history and you seem like quite a whiner, therefor I will take your post with consideration.

Thank you though, always good with a different perspective, made me think nonetheless.

GottiBoi55
Level 10
I would go with the G75vx, and max out the memory is the best option.

Here's a G75vx with a massive "32GB" of Ram>>>>>>>>Click here
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

rewben
Level 13
i second GottiBoi55's notion; but it's really a bit pricey if i considered other options that i could go for.

if you were still interested in a g55, just note that:
1. the 3D version has a much smaller screen resolution (1366x768); to get FHD, go for g55 non-3D, or to play games with an external monitor;
2. SSD is a must; but note that the mSATA slot is not user accessible; so if you need more storage, an alternative is to get a HDD caddy and replace the SATA 2 ODD with HDD;
3. GPU is a 660m. so it will not run everything ultra. honestly, you can still have a lot of fun with it. with slight OC, it runs many games nicely;
4. for RAM, 16gb should be more than enough for gaming purposes (and it's faster than 24 or 32gb).

the above is for default SKU's, of course you can get one from a custom builder, and make full use of your parts.