Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Unable to launch Intel RAID BIOS console from Maximus V Extreme

I'm running an Intel RS2BL080 RAID card on my Maximus V Extreme motherboard. The way that this card works is that when booting, this card seems to hijack the boot process and displays its own screen, allowing users to hit CTRL-G to enter the RAID console. I see the ROG BIOS boot screen, then the RAID loader, then the ROG BIOS boot screen again before boot actually happens.

Unfortunately, I cannot seem to now boot into the RAID configuration console by pressing CTRL+G. It recognizes that I've pressed CTRL+G and informs me that it will launch the client after POST, but it fails to do so. I don't know if this is a problem with their firmware or with the motherboard. Has anyone heard of or dealt with this issue?

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array Area 66's Avatar

Intel Raid BIOS is CTRL+i

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Area 66 View Post
    Intel Raid BIOS is CTRL+i
    This is a PCI hardware RAID card, not the integrated Intel RAID that comes with the motherboard. On startup of the machine, it looks like this:

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array

How many of several hard disks are you using?

Then~
    Into the Intel raid bios,must be press the keyboard "Ctrl+I"

For detail you can reference the motherboard user muanul page 5-3

ROG Member Array

Let me reiterate, this is not the dedicated on-board RAID. This is a physical PCIe card that I've bought and installed on the motherboard. The shortcut is clearly "Ctrl+G" as pictured above, not "Ctrl+I" as would be the case if I were using the onboard RAID. However, I'm not. My hard drives are not connected into the motherboard SATA slots, they're connected via SATA to SAS to the RAID card.

I just can't seem to get into the RAID BIOS on the card anymore because it seems like the UEFI bootloader is interfering with it.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array

Maybe the raid card option rom is too big and cause the option rom not enough
    Could you help to upgrade the motherboard bios to latest version?

Or try to check the raid card have new version F/W to upgrade

ROG Member Array

I will be able to update the firmware of both the motherboard and the RAID card as soon as my Windows install disc comes in the mail. Unfortunately, it seems that there isn't the best Linux support for the mobo and RAID card.

ROG Member Array

OK, so my motherboard firmware is at the latest, version 1505. I'm unable to update the firmware for the RAID card, as when I try updating it with the tools provided by Intel, I get

Code:
    Adapter 0: Intel (R) RAID Controller RS2BL080
    Vendor ID: 0x1000, Device ID: 0x0079

Package version on the controller: 12.7.0-0007 
    Package version of the image file: 12.12.0-0124 
    Download Completed.     
    Flashing image to adapter...
    Firmware Failed to FLASH flash. Stop!!!

FW error description: 
     The requested command cannot be completed as the image is corrupted.  

Exit Code: 0x13
    While Intel gets their stuff together, I'll wait. Go ahead, Intel, fix your firmware update.

It seems like the UEFI BIOS of the motherboard is conflicting/having difficulties with this RAID card. Has anyone else used hardware RAID on a ROG Maximus motherboard?

Super Moderator - Coderat Array Nodens PC Specs
    Nodens PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ASUS GL702VW-GC004T
    MotherboardRampage V Extreme Edition 10
    ProcessorIntel 3930K C2
    Memory (part number)CMZ16GX3M4X2133C11
    Graphics Card #1ASUS STRIX-GTX970-DC2OC-4GD5
    MonitorASUS VG278H
    Storage #13x OCZ Vertex 3 240 (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    Storage #23x WD2003FYYS (RAID5 - LSI 9361-8i)
    CPU CoolerCorsair H100i + 4x Noctua NF-P12
    CaseCoolermaster HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-1250
    Keyboard Razer Anansi
    Mouse Logitech G502
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64
    Network RouterLinksys E4200v2 (running TomatoUSB/Toastman firmware)

This is something I've seen with external cards. Try this: Press F8 for the boot menu, then press the combination for the card ROM utility and when the boot menu comes up choose the controller. This should work.
    RAMPAGE Windows 8/7 UEFI Installation Guide - Patched OROM for TRIM in RAID - Patched UEFI GOP Updater Tool - ASUS OEM License Restorer
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't!

RealBench Developer.

ROG Member Array

I'll definitely try that. Luckily, I'm at a stage where I can afford to wipe things, because when I cleared the configuration, it was able to boot into the console.

The weird thing is that I shortly see the ROG BIOS logo, then the RAID card BIOS shows up, then I again see the ROG BIOS logo before the boot happens. Super weird. In any case, I hope your advice works, we'll see soon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast