Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Maximus V Formula PCI-E problems x8 speeds instead of x16

Hi,

I am running an EVGA GTX670 (4GB version) on my Maximus V Formula and the card is unable to run at x16 speeds. The card is in the 1st slot obviously and there is nothing in the other slots.

I have updated the BIOS to the latest veriosn available to no avail. It shows x8 in the BIOS as well as in GPU-Z. I have tried changing up the Gen settings in the BIOS and stressing the card to the max with various benchmarks but the speeds remain at x8. I have also tried reseating the processor (a 3770k) and the gfx card as well.

The card was previously running perfectly at x16 on my Asus P8Z68 Deluxe.

Is this a BIOS issue or is there a problem with the Motherboard? Here is a screenshot of GPU-Z.

http://imageshack.us/a/img696/7395/xst.gif

Please Help!

Banned Array

have you updated BIOS to the latest version available?
    http://support.asus.com/Download.asp...ORMULA&p=1&os=

the latest BIOS version available is 804 and was published on 2012.08.10. which one are you running?

I am running MVE board with 704 (latest) BIOS and my 670 2GB card gets properly detected as x16 in the first slot (same 3770K cpu here).

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array 8 Pack's Avatar

I have seen this before a couple of times and although software etc detects it running at 8x but infact its running at 16x. What I suggest is you run a couple of bench marks maybe Unigen and 3D 11 at default clocks and compare with scores from similar systems to make 100% certain as a benchmark will show this up straight away.

WiZard who writes GPU-Z does not know why this happens but is aware of it.

I have for example had a GTX470 card detected on the Formula as 8x but then have gone onto set Hardware World records for the card so it simply could not have been running at 8x or I would not have scored so well.

Do you have any other cards to try also and see what is reported against benches to check consistency of the problem???
    Last edited by 8 Pack; 09-25-2012 at 06:46 PM.

Banned Array

In the BIOS there is a screen (forgot which one exactly) which says at which bandwidth the detected card is running at. if it says 16x in BIOS then it's good no matter what software is reporting in Windows.

ROG Enthusiast Array

BIOS is latest 804. I'm seeing the Gfx card running at x8 in the BIOS as well. Don't have any other card to test at the moment. GPU-Z only changes between x8 1.1 and x8 3.0 when load is applied. Haven't compared benchmarks.

Banned Array

do you have an option in BIOS to "enforce x16" or something? I think I saw something like that at bottom of that page in my BIOS, if you have it try enabling. are you running Gen3 PCIe controller setting in BIOS? 3770K should use gen3.

other than that try Loading BIOS Defaults (F5), then F10 to save & reset and see if it detects correctly.

Do the benchmarks and test it!!! This is the only way to be sure.

Bios can also report incorrectly.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Forcing to Gen3 doesn't work. Will run comprehensive benches today and figure this out once and for all. This is really bugging me...There should be a fix for this!!

On the Extreme you can force 16x on that slot but even then software may not report it correctly.

The only way is to run the benchmarks to be sure and compare accordingly.

I am sure one of the Bios engineers could put this into a future Bios I will PM Shamino to bring his attention to the thread.
    Last edited by 8 Pack; 09-25-2012 at 10:14 PM.

PM sent to appropriate person.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast