cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Project: Rage

Fuganater
Level 7
I'm entering my newest and current mod Project: Rage into the competition for some sweet hardware :D. Copying my current updates from TBCS.

So its time for a new PC. This will be a dream build + some very basic modding. So I'll be buying a nice big case, new hardware, water cooling it and making some sweet ascetic changes.

Hardware
Case: Cooler Master HAF-X 942
Mobo: ASUS SABERTOOTH P67 (REV 3.0)
CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost)
PSU: CORSAIR HX Series CMPSU-750HX 750W
GPU: XFX GTX260 Black Edition (OLD)
Drive: LG Black 10X Blu-ray Burner
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
HDD: 2 x 1TB WD 6Gb/s and 1 x 320GB WD SATA 6Gb/s

Water Cooling
Pump: DD-CPX-PRO
Radiator: Black Ice GTX Xtreme 280
Rad Fans: 2 x Yate Loon's
Reservoir: DD XSPC Single bay
CPU Water Block: Swiftech Apogee XT (R2) revision 2 or the XSPC Rasa CPU Black
Barbs: Bitspower Matte Black G1/4" Barb Fitting - 1/2" ID
Tubing: 7/16" PrimoFlex PRO LRT
Liquid: Distilled water + PT Nuke
Fill/Drain Port: Swiftech 1/2" Brass Remote Fill Port
Temp Sensor: 2 x Phobya Temperature Sensor Outer Thread G1/4 with Display
Temp Sensor Bracket: Phobya Front Bracket
Ball valve: For drain

Misc Parts
Replacement Rear Fan: Phobya 120mm
Replacement Top Fans: 2x Cooler Master 200mm Megaflow
Black Sleeving and Shrink Tubing
Red Sleeving and Shrink Tubing
Lighting Kit: NZXT
Fan Controller: Lamptron 20W
PCI Slot vents: http://www.performance-pcs.com/catal...ducts_id=25976
Fill Cap Adapter: http://www.jab-tech.com/XSPC-M20x1.5...pr-4205.htmlTo attach the fill cable to directly to the res.

I'm still trying to find some good case paint. I ordered an air compressor so I will be able to use some spray paint.

I should be ordering the PC components in the next day or so and the WC parts in the very near future.

Cheers till then.
40 REPLIES 40

Fuganater
Level 7
Here is a shot of all of the parts.

I'm uploading all of the pics now and they should be done by morning. Expect a nice big post!

Fuganater
Level 7
Here is a shot of all of the parts.

I'm uploading all of the pics now and they should be done by morning. Expect a nice big post!

Fuganater
Level 7
This will be 1/2 of my update being that it takes like 12 hours to upload about 6 pictures 😞

Here are some of the parts I got.
Corsair HX 750W

Came in some fancy bags 😄

Case badge

NZXT Sleeved LED Kit (One Red and one White)

I messed this one up. I bought 1 meter lengths when I should have got 2 meter lengths... oh well... I'll keep these 1 meter ones for a rainy day.

Lamptron FC6 Fan Controller

G.Skill DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 4GBx2

Core i7 2600k

BluRay Burner

2x 1TB 6Gb/s and 1x 320GB 6Gb/s SATA HDDs

2x Cooler Master 200mm Mega Flow Case Fans

They are insanely quiet.

The case. HAF-X 942

Lots of front connections

Sleeving and Shrink Tubing

ATX power remover tool. Very handy.

So that's most of the parts. More to come in the next update. Now for some Fun!

Fan test

All good!! You can't understand how quiet this system is. Its quieter than my Antec 900 was and my wife's PC with custom fans. I guess it has to do with all the fans being HUGE.

Mobo fitting

I can easily remove the top mesh to paint it red by bending these little tabs.

Its the same for the one on the front but I'm not sure I will paint that one too.
Its also the same way for the mesh on the bay covers. I will paint all of the mesh on them red as well. And I'll be painting the expansion bay covers, possibly the mesh that covers the rear 140mm fan. Its not removable but with some tape and a tarp I can do it.

Another thing I might paint is the mobo "thermal armor" I saw someone else used the same one and painted it white and it looked sick. But I'm not sure if that would be too much red in the case. I'm using the red as accents. The sleeving and WC tubing is all red and so are the LEDs.

Basically my posts will be a day behind because of how long it takes me to upload the pictures. I did alot of sleeving tonight but I didn't order enough... :facepalm:

I ordered more accessories today and all of the watercooling parts. I changed the rad to a Phobya one and the CPU block to the XSPC Rasa to cut down the cost. Also I can paint the Rasa 😄

Well that's it for tonight.

Cheers till next time.

Fuganater
Level 7
This will be 1/2 of my update being that it takes like 12 hours to upload about 6 pictures 😞

Here are some of the parts I got.
Corsair HX 750W

Came in some fancy bags 😄

Case badge

NZXT Sleeved LED Kit (One Red and one White)

I messed this one up. I bought 1 meter lengths when I should have got 2 meter lengths... oh well... I'll keep these 1 meter ones for a rainy day.

Lamptron FC6 Fan Controller

G.Skill DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 4GBx2

Core i7 2600k

BluRay Burner

2x 1TB 6Gb/s and 1x 320GB 6Gb/s SATA HDDs

2x Cooler Master 200mm Mega Flow Case Fans

They are insanely quiet.

The case. HAF-X 942

Lots of front connections

Sleeving and Shrink Tubing

ATX power remover tool. Very handy.

So that's most of the parts. More to come in the next update. Now for some Fun!

Fan test

All good!! You can't understand how quiet this system is. Its quieter than my Antec 900 was and my wife's PC with custom fans. I guess it has to do with all the fans being HUGE.

Mobo fitting

I can easily remove the top mesh to paint it red by bending these little tabs.

Its the same for the one on the front but I'm not sure I will paint that one too.
Its also the same way for the mesh on the bay covers. I will paint all of the mesh on them red as well. And I'll be painting the expansion bay covers, possibly the mesh that covers the rear 140mm fan. Its not removable but with some tape and a tarp I can do it.

Another thing I might paint is the mobo "thermal armor" I saw someone else used the same one and painted it white and it looked sick. But I'm not sure if that would be too much red in the case. I'm using the red as accents. The sleeving and WC tubing is all red and so are the LEDs.

Basically my posts will be a day behind because of how long it takes me to upload the pictures. I did alot of sleeving tonight but I didn't order enough... :facepalm:

I ordered more accessories today and all of the watercooling parts. I changed the rad to a Phobya one and the CPU block to the XSPC Rasa to cut down the cost. Also I can paint the Rasa 😄

Well that's it for tonight.

Cheers till next time.

Fuganater
Level 7
Here are the pics I promised about the sleeving.

What a mess!

Much better 😄

Here is what the cables look like againist the black case.

Nice contrast.

As I said before I didn't order enough sleeving... so the rest of the fans and cables will have to wait till I get my next FrozenCPU order next week. No biggie.

Now here is where I need to cut. It will be a 1"x1" square which is for passing the fan and temp probe cables through to the Lamptron FC6. I'm trying to make this build as clean as possible.

Cheers till next time.

Fuganater
Level 7
Here are the pics I promised about the sleeving.

What a mess!

Much better 😄

Here is what the cables look like againist the black case.

Nice contrast.

As I said before I didn't order enough sleeving... so the rest of the fans and cables will have to wait till I get my next FrozenCPU order next week. No biggie.

Now here is where I need to cut. It will be a 1"x1" square which is for passing the fan and temp probe cables through to the Lamptron FC6. I'm trying to make this build as clean as possible.

Cheers till next time.

Since I can't do any painting yet I figured I would try to figure out how to get the hidden drive working.

Took the face plate off.

Here is one of the bay covers without the mesh on it.

Now these covers kindof clip on. So I have to keep the frame in good condition so that it will stay in place.

Cut out the center.

Shaved down the stubs a bit more. Need to file them now.

What it looks like without the mesh on it.

And finally what it will look like eventually.

Now what I need to figure out is how to get the mesh to stick to the drive tray. Maybe a black foam type substance? That will totally hide what you see behind the mesh, which I like. Ideas?

Cheers till next time.

Since I can't do any painting yet I figured I would try to figure out how to get the hidden drive working.

Took the face plate off.

Here is one of the bay covers without the mesh on it.

Now these covers kindof clip on. So I have to keep the frame in good condition so that it will stay in place.

Cut out the center.

Shaved down the stubs a bit more. Need to file them now.

What it looks like without the mesh on it.

And finally what it will look like eventually.

Now what I need to figure out is how to get the mesh to stick to the drive tray. Maybe a black foam type substance? That will totally hide what you see behind the mesh, which I like. Ideas?

Cheers till next time.

Fuganater
Level 7
Here is some more pics of the parts that I got.

ASUS Sabertooth P67

I wonder how the Thermal Armor would look red... Would that be too much red inside?

Microsoft Sidewinder X6 keyboard

A second XFX GTX 260 Black Edition

Now its time for the hardware test.

All put together.

WORKS! Installing Windows 7 64-bit.

With 2nd GTX 260 installed.

I am actually really upset with the Thermal Armor on this system. Its built for SLI but the 2nd card does not fit. I had to cut away a corrner of the Armor in order to get the GPU to fit. I'll post pics later once I clean it up.

Now for what I'm going to paint. I'm going to pull the grills off the top and front of the case and paint them a nice red.

I'm also going to paint the PSU cover red... I think. I really can't decide if it will be too much red inside the case. I want it to be acents.

Still waiting for sleeving and paint to come in. Once its here I can get moving on this. Today or tomorrow I will cut the case some to make the cable magement better for the Fan Controller. I also need to decide where to put the fill port for the res. I'm thinking under the top cover. It will be pretty easy to get to and it will be hidden.

Cheers till then.