cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Crashes (asus rampage 4 extreme)

Koverhar
Level 7
Hello, I'm desperate to get this to work so don't know if this is the best forum but here goes:
So I built my computer from scratch and it works well but it crashes randomly. It just freezes and I'm forced to manually restart it

parts are the following:
Motherboard: Asus rampage 4 extreme x70 lga 2011
CPU: i7-3930k
GPU: Gtx 680 dc2 (asus)
RAM:Corsair vengeance 16GB of ram
PSU: 850 watt corsair modular
CASE: Cosmos 2(guess its not really relevant)

CPU and GPU watercooled. Havent overclocked anything yet except for the factory clock on the GPU.

I don't know what causes the freezes and its annoying. I played MW3 fine on max settings for a few hours then I ran diablo 3 amd it froze after about 15 minutes. It seems to be completely random because it froze without any games on aswell.

I've been told 850 watts is plenty for this system when using only 1 graphics card.
(sidepoint) I've now connected the 24 pin and the 8 pin atx connector to the motherboard. I dont know if I should get a 4 pin in aswell?
Any answer at all would be nice to I can start testing stuff out. I saved quite a while to be able to afford this so I'm craving for it all to work like intended.

Sincerly an avid Asus fan of many years
23 REPLIES 23

Krindor
Level 11
Might be the rams fault, Vengeance memory and RIVE aren't really buddies.
| Chassi: Phantom Fulltower White Edition | Mobo: Maximus V Extreme | CPU: i7 3770k
| Memory: 2x8gb G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz | GPU: PNY Geforce GTX 670 | PSU: NZXT Hale 90 750w
| SSD: Intel 120gb 330 series (OS) | Intel 120gb 330 series (Games n stuff)
| Monitor: LG 29EA93 | Cooling: Custom Loop

Koverhar
Level 7
What would be proper ram then? for a a solid 16 or 32 gb configuration

Chino
Level 15
I don't have the exact numbers but an estimate would be something like 9 out of 10 cases with the RIVE having random lockups, BSOD, freezes on these forums have been attributed to the Veangeance series. Don't get me wrong. Corsair is an amazing brand. Actually their other product lines like the Dominator GT, Dominator Platinum, etc.. has no problem running on the RIVE.

To rule out bad memory, you can follow this Memtest User Guide For ROG Motherboards. Perhaps you have a faulty stick. Or you can skip this and buy new RAM. Your choice. 😉

Koverhar
Level 7
My computer only detects 12 GB of ram though there is 16 in. Could a fail ramstick cause all this?

kkn
Level 14
yes it would, look in bios and see what it says there.
what win version do you have?

Koverhar
Level 7
Windows 7 Premium

Krindor
Level 11
If it shows 12 instead of 16 I would guess the kit is 4x4 gb. Try to remove the ram to find the faulty one and then run memtest on that one if you boot, if it fails rma it.
| Chassi: Phantom Fulltower White Edition | Mobo: Maximus V Extreme | CPU: i7 3770k
| Memory: 2x8gb G.Skill Trident X 2400mhz | GPU: PNY Geforce GTX 670 | PSU: NZXT Hale 90 750w
| SSD: Intel 120gb 330 series (OS) | Intel 120gb 330 series (Games n stuff)
| Monitor: LG 29EA93 | Cooling: Custom Loop

Retired
Not applicable
Xmas tips.

Sell the vengeance, and get ripjaws z, or dominator quad (1866 or 2133)

It dont have to be à faulty ram stick, simply the wrong ram for that board

changed the ram to the left side of the cpu (all4) and i see all 16GB now, I haven't crashed yet. 2 hours up and running but not gonna scream hurray just yet