cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus v Formula/Thunder FX Black screen winlogin after Nvidia driver Installation

BlackSteel
Level 8
Hi everyone,

My specs are:-
Windows 7 64bit
Core i5 2500k @4.5GHz @1.28v OC using offset voltage
Maximus v Formula/Thunder FX (currently on 1309 bios)
MSI 680gtx 2gb lightning (f7-f8 Ln2 Bios) these were one of the first 5000 cards released
Corsair vengeance 2x8gb 1600mhz 9-9-9-24-2T @1600mhz
BenQ 2420T 120hz Monitor (connected threw DVI lead)
EK H30 360 HFX watercooling kit (cpu and mobo vrms)

I need help in respect to this issue ive been having, some kind of conflict after i install Nvidia driver for my msi 680GTX Lightning upon restart right after the windows logo (4 colours coming together)
Straight after that where normally you should then see the welcome screen my screen goes black you hear the chime that youre entering desktop then it appears, sometimes at this point in which i have stated the monitor loses signal entirely and you see it go into standby then comes back on as you get onto the desktop. The time does vary abit when it goes black but normally around 5-8 seconds.

With the standard windows driver i see a welcome screen as normal and everything behaves normally. And if i boot into safe mode with or without driver installed (as no installed Nvidia driver gets loaded at this point regardless i see the welcome screen and everything behaves as normal.

Im at an end with this problem as im now on my 5th windows installation in 3 weeks i have been trying fixes and variants in order to try and identify what the issue could be.

When i was stability testing the system on the first install i done upon building it,
i was seeing while Intel burn test was running the Video driver would crash and recover with a kernal error (at the time thought it might have just got corupted from the occasional BSOD i got while testing the system to find my OC settings and a fresh OS install would fix it)

Here are all the things i have tried so far...

-ive ruled out the graphics card with a number of things ive tried nearly all the drivers available on the nvidia website, (clean install everytime driver sweeper etc.)
-Flashed both graphics card bios's with the ones found on msi's website stating "improved motherboard compatability" (these bioses where shipped with the later Lightning 680's with Nvidia's voltage lock implemented)
-Tried the graphics card in another machine (p67 chipset, i5 2500k) *Worked perfectly.
-Tried a Nvidia 470 in my system (Again Black screen as stated above after driver install)
-Removed Graphics card entirely and used onboard graphics from i5 using HDMI to monitor and sony TV (at seperate times) after installing the driver for the onboard graphics, black screen persists at welcome screen.
-Tried the system at stock speeds
-Used the 1408 Bios (both stock and OC)
-Booted with minimal services running
-Disabled onboard audio and Lan port
-Disabled HDMI audio found on the MSI 680gtx
-Tried connecting the monitor with HDMI as opposed to DVI
-One of the 5 windows installs i done i tried installing the Graphics card first as a test to see if perhaps chipset drivers or usb drivers, sata etc might have been conflicting but still black screened as mentioned above after installation of the video drivers

My conclusion is that there is some kind of hardware error upon the motherboard and is the motherboard which is at fault, i have now ordered a MSI z77 Mpower and should get it by friday as a test to see if such an issue is native to random z77 chipsets

As far as i have found all over the net its mostly asus motherboards that are having such issues in respect to black screen upon log on as ive already read the thread in this forum about a solution to disable onboard audio etc.

Also would like to state that the Thunder Fx mic barely works as alot of people have stated this, and that the onboard mic needs full volume and +20db at least to be heard..

Another thing this mobo does is occasionally it double posts at the "testing CMOS pre post stage" it hangs on this status shuts off then boots up as normal, in which i believe its to do with once you have OC the system and fiddled with its bios (it doesnt always do this id like to add)

My main problem is the black screen... Please Could an asus expert advise on what i should do next as the only thing i can think of is the board is defective and should be RMA'd for this fault to be reconstructed with a Nvidia video card and fresh driver installation... I feel that im just unlucky that this is happening with my particular board.. but as every pc owner knows is to be expected from time to time upon building a new system..

Any feedback on this matter would be greatly appreciated...
Why would i ride the swing's when i've already been to DisneyLand..
15 REPLIES 15

SUKARA
Level 10
Only for test!
Could you please help to change another PCIE slot test again?
And
What kind of the power supply model are you using?
How much watt?

Ive tried the second PCIE slot... still the same problem (black screen at welcome screen) the 3rd PCIE slot is for a single ati card... tried that too anyway.... no display at all on 3rd slot with nvidia card

Sorry forgot to mention my power supply, it is "Seasonic 860w '80 Plus Platinum' Modular" Ive tested the GPU voltage with a multi metre and all is fine powerwise, along with the memory and vrm voltage supply..

BlackSteel
Level 8
I am going to RMA the motherboard back to the suppliar unless anyone has other suggestions, Is it possible after all i have described about this issue is hardware related.

What do you guys think??

TenBlade
Level 11
I have rarely seen such a complete list of tests, you´ve really done your home work, and I´m keeping that list for future reference. Repped!

Would like to know how it behaves on the MSI board. If it works flawlessly on that, I´d think the Asus board has a bug.

BlackSteel
Level 8
The msi Mpower board arrived today after hours of removing and fitting the msi board followed by a fresh win 7 64bit installation, i installed the chipset drivers for the board then the video driver.

Same problem persists... Black screen as mentioned above.

I tried a few more things while the msi board was in...

-Removed the 2x8gb ram sticks and used 1 of the 4gb sticks i had from a past x58 1366 build (Corsair vengeance) *same problem.
-I moved the socket/port to another outlet on the PSU for the PCI-E power supply cable to video card. *same problem.
-I used the other PCI-E cable supplied with the PSU (As there are 2) *Black screen at welcome screen.
-i removed all hard drives (apart from OS drive ofc. *SSD) dvd/cd re-writer, USB connected devices leaving mouse and keyboard only (even tried with no mouse or keyboard using Rog connect to start/shutdown the system)
-Lowered the resolution to 800x600 (as this is the resolution that windows bootup is in) *black screened again at welcome screen
-Used a mechanical hard drive with a fresh win 7 64bit install and video driver. Problem persists
-Installed windows XP sp2, now this was interesting.. when the windows xp load screen appeared (animated horizontal blue segmants scrolling to the right) right after 6 passes approx the screen went black for around 10-15 seconds then half the top of the screen flashed white then xp welcome screen appeared and went into desktop.

Now the maximus v is back in the case and its still happening, im not sure what else to do next as the only things to try are.

Thinking to get a 3770k cpu and see if theres anychange.
Also will try a diffrent installation disc from a friend, but highly unlikely that my disc is corrupted in anyway as there would be more severe consequences i would have thought, so unlikely its that.

Now that i have carried out all these steps i really dont see as to why or how a cpu could cause such a problem (perhaps the onboard graphics conflicting in some way, but i really dont see how it could when its not even installed nor is there any significant voltage going to it, i also plugged a hdmi lead to the onboard while booting normally to see if any signal was outputted from it while the screen goes black on the welcome screen.

Is there no one who has had this issue with any of the z77 boards??

Any feedback would be appreciated

Chino
Level 15
See if this solves your problem.

1. Go into BIOS.
2. Click the Advanced tab.
3. Go to the System Agent Configuration.
4. Click Graphics Configuration.
5. Change Primary Display to PCIe.
6. Return to the previous screen.
7. Go to NB PCIe Configuration.
8. Change PCIEX16_1/x8_1 Link Speed from Auto to Gen2.
9. Save, exit BIOS and keep your fingeres crossed.

BlackSteel
Level 8
Thanks for the suggestion, the primary display i have already set to PCIe as for the link speed ive tried Gen1 and Gen2 (currently this value is set to Auto but will try it on Gen2 again with the current primary PCIe setting.

Found that Gen1 or Gen2 all defaulted to 2.0 is that normal? shouldnt Gen1 be 1.0?? this is why i was thinking to try a 3770K as then the Bus will work @3.0 so might do something diffrent in regards to the problem im having.. worth a try i think seem as i have done nearly everything that i could think of.

I am going to do a fresh install onto a mechanical hard drive now using a diffrent setup disc entirely so will let you know how that goes.

Thanks for the suggestion guys, let me know if you have any other ideas in respect to this issue.

Have you found any solution to this??

I've been having the same issue, can't seem to find any solution on this booting problem.

I have a MSI 660ti......I have seen others having this problem and they too have MSI cards

BlackSteel
Level 8
Im still working on it, will update tomorrow once ive tried the things i state below.

I have another PSU which im going to try and a diffrent win7 x64 installation disc, Am also going to install a ATI 5870 and see what happens with that.

In my opinion with all the things i have tried so far i can assure you its not msi cards only that this is happening with ive already tried an Asus 470 in this system and it done the same thing.

what processor are you using in youre system, and also what processors were the other's using that this is happening too. Are you and them on z77 chipsets? I guessing that they are on z77... and using 1155 socket cpus.. please confirm this.
Will be more clear to me tomorrow once ive tried all the things ive written.
i'll update tomorrow at some point.