cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Model g74sx Asus Laptop won't power on

Estillum
Level 7
No lights, no sounds, not even a slight fan wur. Immediate help would be very much appreciated, I'm going completely bat **** over here.
Currently I tested the adapter with a multimeter, and tried to do the thing with holding the power button. I turned it off the night before, and the next day it wouldn't boot up.

Looking around on google I can say a few things that might be the problem: one, the plastic bit in one of the USB ports fell out, and more than once I've plug something into it to have the laptop suddenly power off. Also I might of left if on on my bed. Over heating it, though I was sure I turned it off.
11 REPLIES 11

dstrakele
Level 14
Estillum wrote:
...and more than once I've plug something into it to have the laptop suddenly power off.

This statement leads me to believe your laptop has a serious hardware problem, more than a poorly-seated RAM chip in slot 1 that is preventing startup. No lights or sounds on startup eliminates a failed BIOS flash by ASUS Live Update as the cause.

The key for your action is whether your laptop is still within your retailer's exchange/return period. If so, returning the laptop to the retailer for exchange to a new G74SX or a complete refund is the best option. Otherwise, you could RMA to ASUS for Warranty repair (if your laptop is still under Warranty).
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Estillum
Level 7
The same thing used to happen to my old Xbox when I plugged it in wrong in the one USB, it just shut off.. Ive had the asus for little over a year now, I think the warrentys bust.

cl-scott
Level 12
Were there any odd symptoms last night, or even in the days, weeks, months, or years prior?

That's the thing, other than the USB thing it never failed on me, never crashed or anything. It just up and stopped working out of no where last mon

cl-scott
Level 12
That is an odd one. Usually there are at least some warning symptoms. What were the results when you tested the AC adapter with a multimeter?

Like 19.3 v, when it was posted to be 19.5 it was plugged into an adapter though

Estillum wrote:
Like 19.3 v, when it was posted to be 19.5 it was plugged into an adapter though

That's a pretty normal variance, and wouldn't be an issue. If the unit is OOW, then I don't think we're really going to get anywhere additional until the unit is taken apart. If it's still within warranty, then you may as well send it in to get it fixed. I can set up an RMA for the North America region, but anywhere else in the world is a bit beyond my reach.

Well this is weird.. It just started up again after a few days.. I don't know if it was the magnet thing I did but it starts up fine now for some reason. I dunno if I should still do something with it just in case

dstrakele
Level 14
I'd be tempted to try and test it with the battery removed, using only the plugged-in power adapter to start it, just to cover all the bases...

Also, if I remember correctly, there may be a "power off" or reset button on the motherboard. I believe it was mentioned in a thread about the magnetic switch issue and is located internally on the left side of the laptop as you face it. Could be on a different model though...

If the chassis is bent, or something is pressing against it, it may prevent your laptop from starting. You might try picking up your laptop by one corner and attempting to start it to test this Wild Ass Guess.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT