cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question regarding battery...

DeathRuler
Level 7
Hey guys i own a g73jh-A1 ...and use it for everything, gaming surfing and stuff... i wanted to ask you all what would happen if i never took the battery out?
Actually the thing is that my windows got corrupted cause the light went in my house.. and i always had the battery detached to keep it preserved... i keep my laptop on for long periods of time cause of downloads and stuff .. So now i fear something like my windows getting corrupt again ...what would u guys suggest i should do ? keep the battery in at all times and keep the laptop plugged too or take my chances with the windows if i dont want to damage my battery too?... im not rich or anything so cant keep on buying battery again and again 😛
Please also suggest a reason for ur opinion.
12 REPLIES 12

cl-scott
Level 12
For the most part, nothing. There are some people who obsess over these things, who I tend to ignore by and large. Odds are the battery will last longer than you have the unit, so I don't see any particular reason to take all these special precautions. It's all well and good to try and manage resources so you have something in reserve if you need it, but if you have a rainy day fund that you refuse to dip into even though it's pouring outside, what is the point?

Moradeth
Level 7
DeathRuler wrote:
Hey guys i own a g73jh-A1 ...and use it for everything, gaming surfing and stuff... i wanted to ask you all what would happen if i never took the battery out?
Actually the thing is that my windows got corrupted cause the light went in my house.. and i always had the battery detached to keep it preserved... i keep my laptop on for long periods of time cause of downloads and stuff .. So now i fear something like my windows getting corrupt again ...what would u guys suggest i should do ? keep the battery in at all times and keep the laptop plugged too or take my chances with the windows if i dont want to damage my battery too?... im not rich or anything so cant keep on buying battery again and again 😛
Please also suggest a reason for ur opinion.

I've had a few batteries die before the laptop (bad cell usually), but at most I've only ever had to replace them once per laptop, so I don't think it's a huge deal. I don't think it's necessary, I haven't had to replace a battery on either of my last two laptops, but if you're paranoid about it then yeah go ahead and take those precautions. For the most part, I just keep it in all the time and every other month drain it then charge it back to full.

Zygomorphic
Level 17
Just leave it in, and I am moving this thread to the appropriate laptop sub-section. 🙂 No worries about the move, it's really easy.

Batteries tend to wear out because of frequent slight discharge/charge cycles, so if it is constantly plugged in, it gets little wear. More than likely, you will decide to upgrade your unit before the battery's wear becomes an issue.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

GottiBoi55
Level 10
Just keep the battery in, with today's "smart batteries" that shouldn't be a problem.

I sold my friend a five year old "HP Pavilion" laptop, the battery never been out, and it's still running strong!
GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

Fire
Level 10
The first thing I go when I buy a laptop is take the battery out and NEVER use it unless I need to

The so called batteries are smart these days and will disconnetion from charging once their full is a bunch of bull $hit

I learned my lesson the hard way after having many batteries die that included an HP DV5, a SONY VAIO SZ Premium, and a Toshiba Satellite

Take it the heck out man! dont damage it just for the minor chance of the power being out.

even when the power goes out the laptop would just shut down I dont know how on earth you corrupted your windows must have had a shaky windows installation or app

Asus g73jh-A1 's battery time is very bad as it is .... its 1.5 hrs no matter what kind of work you do 😛
So i dont know what good will a battery do if it does less than this within a year if i keep it plugged it in all the time 😛

Asus g73jh-A1 's battery time is very bad as it is .... its 1.5 hrs no matter what kind of work you do 😛
So i dont know what good will a battery do if it does less than this within a year if i keep it plugged it in all the time 😛

DeathRuler
Level 7
Well thats some diverse opinions 😛 According to Fire's experiences batterys dieing out quick by keeping it in.... and the rest say it has little damage... But then again different companies have different battery types...and i heard somewhere asus laptop batteries are very weak or something unlike hp or dells ...So i should keep it out.. But if the battery time remains the same if i have it plugged in all the time for atleast 2 years approx then id keep it in.. .Do you guys think itl last for 2 years ?

My Asus M70sa battery was still good after 4 years and I never took it out. I use NB's as Desk Top replacements and very rarely use them on battery power. However the battery does work a s UPS during power variation and power losses. I work on Ships at sea for long periods where power can be quite flaky. I might have fully cycled that battery 2 or 3 times over the years. Then again I virtually never use it on battery power. Just my experience.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro