cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corrupt downloads. enough is enough

omglookout
Level 7
Okay so I've been having some problems with corrupt downloads. Basically any file that's above 30 MB gets corrupted and unusable. This includes software installation files, drivers, video files, and sometimes even some audio files. Video and audio files usually start off fine but without fail, it will either freeze up or just cut off into a black screen. Installation files or zip/rar/7zip files will give a corrupt message and interrupt the installation process.

I've had to use a secondary laptop to transfer over downloaded files to bypass all of the corruption. The transferred files all work fine. It is just any downloaded content that gets messed up.

At first, I thought I just had a faulty hard drive but it checked out fine. I installed a different hard drive but the problem was still there so I'm assuming it is a network adapter error?

The wifi connection never breaks or anything. I get full bars. I know its not my network speed that's causing the problem either. I get about 30 Mbps down.

I've tried the latest network drivers supplied by ASUS and also the latest ones from Microsoft. Both yield the same results.

My model is G75VW-FS71. The wifi card is an Atheros AR9485WB-EG.

I'm not sure if this is related to the problem but I have the same problem with streaming video. Basically anything other than Netflix freezes up. The timing of the freeze ups seem to be pretty random.

Sometimes the video will just end like this.

Other times, the video will turn into a weird static looking image, turn green, and skip to the end very fast.

The streaming hiccups occur more frequently with higher quality videos like 1080p than 480p. It happens with every video streaming service excluding Netflix. Youtube, facebook video, dailymotion, etc.

Any suggestions or advice would help.
54 REPLIES 54

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
Have you tried getting the drivers from Atheros themselves? it seems to be the only place you haven't yet looked for updates.

Woops. I forgot to add that in too. Same problems with the drivers from Atheros.

omglookout
Level 7
Also, it's not a browser or Flash problem which is the reason why I'm assuming it is a network card issue. I've tested with Firefox, IE, Opera, and Chrome.

Zygomorphic
Level 17
Sounds like a problem with Flash. Youtube is going to HTML5
tags. I would recommend uninstalling and re-installing Flash and Firefox. Also, updating your video drivers may help.
I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee! 🙂
LINUX Users, we have a group!
http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

cl-scott
Level 12
I was going to list off a few things like download "accelerators" and the like, but then you had to go and say it happens when watching YouTube videos. So now I'm left with saying you should test your RAM with memtest86+.

Zygomorphic wrote:
Sounds like a problem with Flash. Youtube is going to HTML5
tags. I would recommend uninstalling and re-installing Flash and Firefox. Also, updating your video drivers may help.

That doesn't seem to be the case. Updating my drivers was the first step I took. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling Flash and Firefox. I even tried installing a previous version of Flash but no dice. Also, correct me if I am wrong but I'm pretty sure Flash has nothing to do with file downloads.

cl-scott wrote:
I was going to list off a few things like download "accelerators" and the like, but then you had to go and say it happens when watching YouTube videos. So now I'm left with saying you should test your RAM with memtest86+.

Yeah, I've tried those and also download managers (jDownloader) but corruption persists. I will give memtest a go.

Okay. memtest turned out no negative results. I really am at a loss of what to do. I would like to hold reformatting as a last resort...

Flash is built in to Chrome, so that probably rules that out... Could you try the following please?

Run CCleaner, and try again, if persists:

Reset your router to factory default and set it back up with the same settings, upgrade the firmware if a newer version is available

Open an admin-level command-prompt

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
netsh int ip reset log.txt
netsh winsock reset

Restart the computer...
G75VW-DS73-3D | 670m 3GB | 32GB RAM | 1TB RAID-0 2 x 830 512GB SSD DualBoot | Killer-N 1103 WiFi

cheek wrote:
funnily i have that problem a few times. youtube would stop midway. although a F5 correct the problem?
check your flash version and report back. i have a feeling its flash. my is 11.4.402.265
http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/find-version-flash-player.html

I wouldn't really say F5 corrects the problem. What I've been doing is if a video stream freezes midway, I would refresh the page and then seek to where it froze. But this doesn't really solve the problem. On longer videos, I would have to refresh and reseek up to 10 times on a 20 minute video.

My Flash is the latest version avaliable [11.5.502.135]. I also stated earlier that I also tried earlier versions of Flash.

Honestly, I can live with the video streams getting interrupted. Yeah it is a huge hassle but its not like I spend every waking moment watching internet videos. Downloaded files getting corrupted is a completely different story. I can't even download large sized drivers on this laptop to attempt to fix. The use of a secondary machine is pretty much required for good downloads..

BNaughty wrote:
Flash is built in to Chrome, so that probably rules that out... Could you try the following please?

Run CCleaner, and try again, if persists:

Reset your router to factory default and set it back up with the same settings, upgrade the firmware if a newer version is available

Open an admin-level command-prompt

ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /registerdns
netsh int ip reset log.txt
netsh winsock reset

Restart the computer...

I pretty much tried your suggestion. Cleared all the temporary files and cache. Tried a completely different router. Problem is still there..