Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Corrupt downloads. enough is enough

Okay so I've been having some problems with corrupt downloads. Basically any file that's above 30 MB gets corrupted and unusable. This includes software installation files, drivers, video files, and sometimes even some audio files. Video and audio files usually start off fine but without fail, it will either freeze up or just cut off into a black screen. Installation files or zip/rar/7zip files will give a corrupt message and interrupt the installation process.

I've had to use a secondary laptop to transfer over downloaded files to bypass all of the corruption. The transferred files all work fine. It is just any downloaded content that gets messed up.

At first, I thought I just had a faulty hard drive but it checked out fine. I installed a different hard drive but the problem was still there so I'm assuming it is a network adapter error?

The wifi connection never breaks or anything. I get full bars. I know its not my network speed that's causing the problem either. I get about 30 Mbps down.

I've tried the latest network drivers supplied by ASUS and also the latest ones from Microsoft. Both yield the same results.

My model is G75VW-FS71. The wifi card is an Atheros AR9485WB-EG.

I'm not sure if this is related to the problem but I have the same problem with streaming video. Basically anything other than Netflix freezes up. The timing of the freeze ups seem to be pretty random.

Sometimes the video will just end like this.

Other times, the video will turn into a weird static looking image, turn green, and skip to the end very fast.

The streaming hiccups occur more frequently with higher quality videos like 1080p than 480p. It happens with every video streaming service excluding Netflix. Youtube, facebook video, dailymotion, etc.

Any suggestions or advice would help.
    Last edited by omglookout; 12-28-2012 at 01:09 AM.

imMortal Kombatant Array Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    Myk SilentShadow PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS Rampage IV Formula
    ProcessorIntel i7 3930K
    Memory (part number)8GB Corsair XMS3 1600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS Radeon 7970 3GD5
    Sound CardROG Xonar Phoebus
    MonitorSamsung SyncMaster SA300
    Storage #1Corsair Neutron 128GB
    Storage #2Seagate 2TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair A50 Pro Air Cooler
    CaseBitFenix Merc Alpha
    Power SupplyThermaltake Litepower 700W
    Keyboard Alienware TactX Keyboard
    Mouse Tesoro Gandiva H1L
    OS Win7 Ultimate x64

Have you tried getting the drivers from Atheros themselves? it seems to be the only place you haven't yet looked for updates.

ROG Member Array

Woops. I forgot to add that in too. Same problems with the drivers from Atheros.

ROG Member Array

Also, it's not a browser or Flash problem which is the reason why I'm assuming it is a network card issue. I've tested with Firefox, IE, Opera, and Chrome.

Sounds like a problem with Flash. Youtube is going to HTML5
    Code:
    <video>
    tags. I would recommend uninstalling and re-installing Flash and Firefox. Also, updating your video drivers may help.
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

No Longer Works at ASUS Array

I was going to list off a few things like download "accelerators" and the like, but then you had to go and say it happens when watching YouTube videos. So now I'm left with saying you should test your RAM with memtest86+.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Zygomorphic View Post
    Sounds like a problem with Flash. Youtube is going to HTML5
    Code:
    <video>
    tags. I would recommend uninstalling and re-installing Flash and Firefox. Also, updating your video drivers may help.
    That doesn't seem to be the case. Updating my drivers was the first step I took. I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling Flash and Firefox. I even tried installing a previous version of Flash but no dice. Also, correct me if I am wrong but I'm pretty sure Flash has nothing to do with file downloads.

Quote Originally Posted by cl-scott View Post
    I was going to list off a few things like download "accelerators" and the like, but then you had to go and say it happens when watching YouTube videos. So now I'm left with saying you should test your RAM with memtest86+.
    Yeah, I've tried those and also download managers (jDownloader) but corruption persists. I will give memtest a go.
    Last edited by omglookout; 12-28-2012 at 02:00 AM.

ROG Member Array

Okay. memtest turned out no negative results. I really am at a loss of what to do. I would like to hold reformatting as a last resort...

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

funnily i have that problem a few times. youtube would stop midway. although a F5 correct the problem?
    check your flash version and report back. i have a feeling its flash. my is 11.4.402.265
    http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/...sh-player.html

Recognized Troll Array

Flash is built in to Chrome, so that probably rules that out... Could you try the following please?

Run CCleaner, and try again, if persists:

Reset your router to factory default and set it back up with the same settings, upgrade the firmware if a newer version is available

Open an admin-level command-prompt

ipconfig /flushdns
    ipconfig /registerdns
    netsh int ip reset log.txt
    netsh winsock reset

Restart the computer...
    G75VW-DS73-3D | 670m 3GB | 32GB RAM | 1TB RAID-0 2 x 830 512GB SSD DualBoot | Killer-N 1103 WiFi

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast