cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

12.11 driver crashing w/ DC2 7970?

Gh0st
Level 7
Hello. Reporting in with a DC2 (Non-TOP) Radeon 7970. I already have an RMA claim with this card, thinking it was the card that was damaged, now I'm not too sure.
I experience random crashing. The crashes are either a black screen, or a screen with vertical lines running down it. The vertical lines are always the same color, but with alternating hues (Dark brown, light brown. Black, white. Grey, light grey. Etc...).
I believed this to be the card's fault, and filed an RMA claim. However, I wanted to wait for my HDMI cable to come in, so I could at least use the iGPU while waiting for my card to return, so I haven't sent it in yet. While using the computer today, it crashed a little differently (Hard to describe), looking almost as if the screen had corrupted.

I was about to hit the reset button, when suddenly the system recovered. I received a notification from the bottom of the screen that the AMD driver had crashed and recovered.

This leaves me to wonder; Is it my card that's the problem, or the drivers? Has anyone else experienced crashing on 12.11? Note that the crash has occurred on the 12.10 drivers from AMD, ASUS' latest drivers (A modified 12.10, I believe), and on the AMD 12.11b11 drivers. However, with the other drivers, it has simply been the lined crash.

Thanks for any help you can provide.
2 REPLIES 2

Thomas
Level 10
Hi,

How long does it take for the system to become unstable on average?

If you go into 'Safe Mode' (press F8 during the start of the Windows boot process) does the crashing still occur?
Thomas Jenner
Asus UK

sectionate
Level 12
gh0st you can have all sorts of CCC problems pending on how you uninstall/install the drivers

http://benchmark3d.com/ - they benchmark and list known issues for each driver, maybe u can find a solution. If your using a moded driver it probably came from them. Also try rage3d.com forums. What are your computer specs. Running the latest cap?
Crosshair IV 1090T 4093.7 - Crosshair V FX - 8350 Batch # 1243PGT 4.422MHz - 4816.08 MHz 1.5v - GSKILL F3-14900CL9D-8GBSR(x2)1087.6 11-12-10 1.5volts - ViewSonic VX2439wm - Acer GD235HZ - SyncMaster P2350 - PowerColor Red Devil RX 480 8GBD5-3DH/OC - Current Mode: 5760 x 1080 - (retired) ASUS GTX660DC2O2GD5 - Nvidia 3D Vision Wired - HAF 932 - Corsair HX850 - Corsair H100i - latest quakelive.com - Day thirteen 60fps - as always I'm powered by Futurelooks.com