cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phoebus been discontinued?! Has Asus given up on this card??

davidm71
Level 7
Guess as being an early adopter you take all the risks in testing new hardware. I got my Phoebus about the same time I got my new Asus RT-66U router, about six months ago, and since then the RT-N66u has had like half dozen bios updates at least. The Phoebus is still in Beta mode. Then I see that Newegg has this card in the 'Discontinued' category. Talk about a short life span!

Whats going on here?! I smell something fishy! All of us who adopted this card paid top dollar for it and it wasnt cheap. How about a new non-beta driver please?

Thank you.
32 REPLIES 32

dedaciai
Level 10
davidm71 wrote:
Guess as being an early adopter you take all the risks in testing new hardware. I got my Phoebus about the same time I got my new Asus RT-66U router, about six months ago, and since then the RT-N66u has had like half dozen bios updates at least. The Phoebus is still in Beta mode. Then I see that Newegg has this card in the 'Discontinued' category. Talk about a short life span!

Whats going on here?! I smell something fishy! All of us who adopted this card paid top dollar for it and it wasnt cheap. How about a new non-beta driver please?

Thank you.

Is this what you are talking about? That would really suck if it is true. Maybe an Asus rep can chime in and clarify things.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132054
Intel Core 3930K at 4.25GHz
Asus Rampage IV Extreme BIOS 1404
Crucial M4 SSD 256GB
EVGA GTX 570 SC 2-Way SLI @ 822/2000/1.038V 24/7 Drivers: WHQL 301.42
2 Caviar Black 1TB HDD
Asus XONAR Phoebus
Corsair H100 (p/p)
Corsair Vengance RAM 16GB @1600MHz
Enermax 1350W PSU
Windows 7 Professional 64-bit

For those of you too lazy to click on the link I have pasted an image from Newegg's website. This would be ridiculous if they discontinued this product...wondering if they are going to continue to support this card. Thanks goodness mine is in great working order as I could not be happier with the sound that comes out of it for gaming.

Crucial M4 SSD 256GB
2 Caviar Black 1TB HDD
Asus XONAR Phoebus
Corsair H100 (p/p)
Enermax 1350W PSU

dedaciai wrote:
Is this what you are talking about? That would really suck if it is true. Maybe an Asus rep can chime in and clarify things.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829132054

Just ridiculous. I get the feeling the Phoebus is right behind Windows 8. Hope they don't discontinue support.

HK_sends
Level 7
Considering the generally positive reviews that the card has gotten, I don't think a "discontinued" status at NewEgg is a definite indicator that the card has been abandoned. The Asus sites still show it on the products page. I would wait a bit before declaring it dead.

Cheers!
-HK sends

Raja
Level 13
Newegg tend to show that when products are out of stock. Newegg stocking a soundcard or not has nothing to do with ASUS support of said product. Phoebus is still current and driver work ongoing.

Raja@ASUS wrote:
Newegg tend to show that when products are out of stock. Newegg stocking a soundcard or not has nothing to do with ASUS support of said product. Phoebus is still current and driver work ongoing.

Hi Raja, thank you for the update/clarification! Yes, the Phoebus has a few 'freckles' in the software, but it is still on one of the best cards for sound with respect to gaming.
Crucial M4 SSD 256GB
2 Caviar Black 1TB HDD
Asus XONAR Phoebus
Corsair H100 (p/p)
Enermax 1350W PSU

slikk
Level 7
The Phoebus seems to be available pretty much everywhere in Canada. NCIX etc.

Myk_SilentShado
Level 15
It's still available for sale here in Australia 😛

But, you do have to realise...this is a RoG product, the development team is probably smaller than the team behind the Routers(maybe, idk who does what behind the scenes and am purely guessing here) And since there have been a number of issues pretty much from straight out-of-the-box the guys have had their work cut our for them....that "discontinued" as Raja stated doesn't mean it's no longer available....maybe they're getting newer cards with the latest released firmware that came out with the Beta 3.08 drivers

xjoey83x
Level 7
Unfortunately I will be selling off my Xonar Phoebus, I preordered a Soundblaster Zxr. In the long run i found any of the software enchancements for the Phoebus made the quality worse on my Beyer DT990s.