cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hitachi hdd clicking noise - dying?

Sunrise2000
Level 8
I have in g75vw hitachi hdd - HTS727575A9E364. A week ago, I start hear clicking sounds under (below) numpad.. I searched forums that many customers, who have hitachi hdd hear clicking sounds, it is normal? I've checked for errors with windows tool - no errors found, hdd sentinel soft told me that all right, no action needed to prevent data loss. But HDD regenerator 2011 in smart section - hdd status warns me: "imminent fail" backup files immediately.
http://www.hgst.com/support/downloads/ I used WinDFT and test passed - no errors found too.

What to believe? This is normal or my hdd dying?
25 REPLIES 25

mrwolf
Level 10
Well, how bad is the clicking noise..?

I did a bit of research on this too and found out faint clicking noises when the hitachi hdd is being used is normal as long as it isnt too loud.

I have 2 G75-VW's in my house, both with one SSD and one Hitachi HDD. They both produce this clicking sound but one of them is less faint. Have been using them for almost 6 months now and no issues so far 🙂

What you are hearing is the heads parking more frequently as more data is stored (APM.) You can disable this audible click using either quietHDD or CrystalDisk.

ggBanks
Level 10
If you have Intel Rapid Storage Technology this may be the cause, because on my previous laptop this thing caused the head to move every second no matter if the computer is reading something or not. And when I uninstalled it this stopped. I advise you to try that.

chrsplmr
Level 18
Still, I would back up anything important on a flash or 'other' drive .. just in case.
[ .. been there .. lost big.].c.

I just uninstalled intel rapid storage - problem still exist..

So, I dont know worry about this noise or not?:(

Dreamonic
Level 12
Have you tried quietHDD yet?

Run it, right-click it on taskbar and "disable APM."

Most Hitachi hard drives have the exact same problem. It's because of a non updated/released firmware to change the APM values. I've had 3 Hitachi drives that did the same thing. Each made that clicking sound NEW and I've run software to disable APM control. They've been running for over a year like this.

if I disable APM, data on disk will not gone? Please explain me what means APM?

No you will not lose any data.

APM is "Advanced Power Management."

When a hard drive is not in use (laptops especially a problem,) it will park the head to prevent data loss in the event you drop the laptop, sudden impact against an object and so forth. By default, it's set to do this a lot! However, a high amount of parking can ultimately cause the failure of a drive as load cycle counts get higher.

Most likely it's set to 128, where you need it at 254.

Sunrise2000
Level 8
thanks.. maybe I can reduce apm values and not disable that completely?
Another question: I have OS installed on SSD (primary), hdd is data storage... this software do not effect SSD values?15462