cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS policy for bent pins on CPU socket when doing RMA?

Rassal
Level 9
Hi Everyone,

Just wondering what's ASUS policy and physical damage to the CPU Socket with bent pins when doing an RMA. I understand that it's not Asus fault on bent pins, but when you do an RMA, what's their policy if there is 2-3 pins that are bent or out of position?

Do they still honor the warranty, or you have to pay a certain amount of money? What's everyone experience with this?
Rampage IV Extreme (4802) + Core i7-3930K @ 4.3GHZ + Corsair H100i Push Config.
VCore = 1.33v | LLC = Auto | VTT = 1.10v | 2nd VTT = Auto | VCCSA = 1.10v | PLL = 1.78125v
G.Skill Ripjawz Z 32GB DDR3-1866 @ 1866 (8x4gb) Using XMP profile#1
Dual Corsair Force GT 120gb Raid-0 Sata 6G RSTe + 1TB WD Blue Sata 6G ASMedia
Dual Sapphire Radeon 6870 xfire - Cooler Master Cosmos II Case
PC Power & Cooling Silencer MKII 950w power supply.
Dell 2709WFP LCD Monitor (1920x1200) - Windows 8.1 Pro x64
10 REPLIES 10

formula383
Level 7
You will likely have to pay for a new cpu socket, and any cost of installation plus shipping bothways. Unless of course you insist that it was damaged when you received the board. Asus does not cover physical damage by the use any way shape or form of it.

Affinitii
Level 9
I had a similara issue, I RMA'd it after they told me to expect a charge and they repaired it free 😛 Guess it just depends on who handles it? I didn't even try to argue that it came that way rofl.

I was told to expect a ~$100 charge, and I had to pay shipping to them. They, again, repaired it free and shipped it back at no cost. I just paid for shipping to ASUS.

Wow! I bought a new board without even trying. The old one is still in it's box. Maybe I should RMA it.
[/URL]

Sverre wrote:
Wow! I bought a new board without even trying. The old one is still in it's box. Maybe I should RMA it.

That's what I did initially, and then I sent it in a few months later expecting to pay the fee 😛 Nopers got lucky!

Good info. to know. I just sent in a z87-pro which couldn't rec'd internet either by wire or wi-fi and may have bent 1-2 pins during packing to mail in for RMA repair. I'm hoping they can easily straighten pins to fix internet problem.

Affinitii wrote:
I had a similara issue, I RMA'd it after they told me to expect a charge and they repaired it free 😛 Guess it just depends on who handles it? I didn't even try to argue that it came that way rofl.

I was told to expect a ~$100 charge, and I had to pay shipping to them. They, again, repaired it free and shipped it back at no cost. I just paid for shipping to ASUS.

Do you have some kind of documentation? ASUS does not in anyway replace a board for free if you have bent pins on a motherboard. ASUS is not a gift shop. So unless you have some kind of documentaion.....not true.

emsir wrote:
Do you have some kind of documentation? ASUS does not in anyway replace a board for free if you have bent pins on a motherboard. ASUS is not a gift shop. So unless you have some kind of documentaion.....not true.

That post is 4 years old and the author hasn't visited for 2 years so they won't be answering. Likely some rep rubber stamped an RMA to get it out of the system regardless of policy. It happens but it's not something people should count on.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

HiVizMan
Level 40
Officially a bent pin is as stated user error and therefore invalidates the warranty. However it does all depend on the regions, the person dealing with you and how bad the damage is.

Most of the time slight bent or misaligned pins can be fixed by you. Steady hand, slender blade and good eyes are all you need.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

Hutchie91
Level 7
Hold on, what happens if you receive the board with a few socket pins already bent? You're still out of pocket?