Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

this is what ive been reading on many websites, best intel gaming CPU's for $200-$1000
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...ck,3106-4.html
    review done December 11,2012

ROG Enthusiast Array

Well your thread title says High End Gaming PC Only.

I was being generous picking the 3770K...could of said 3930K or 3970X or even go with the EVGA Classified SR-X and run some Xeon E5 Processors. Oh man you could also run some Revo 3 X2 SSD's too.

Just sayig
    Case: MountainMods Ascension Duality
    PSU: Silverstone Strider 1K
    MOBO: Maximus V Formula
    CPU: i7 3770K
    RAM: 32GB Corsair Platinum 2133MHz
    Video: 2 X EVGA GeForce GTX 680 Classified
    Audio: ROG Xonar Phoebus
    Storage 1: OS OCZ REVODRIVE 3 X2 PCI-EXPRESS SSD 240GB
    Storage 2: Games OCZ REVODRIVE 3 PCI-EXPRESS SSD 480GB
    Storage 3: Data WD Velociraptor WD1000DHTZ 1TB
    Cooling: Mix of EK and Swiftech

ROG Enthusiast Array

True, my current computer i'm using now uses a i7-3970x cpu, but the computer is also used alot for autocad and a few other things, but i understand where you are coming from. I respect your answer.

are you only gona use it for gaming, or will you use it to program on? like autocad and programs like that?
    happy new year to you in a few.

ROG Enthusiast Array

For the hell of it and $75 more, i think I decided to get the i7-3770k.

ROG Enthusiast Array

100% Gaming only for this build

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

3570k is a great chip, no doubt. For the vast majority of builds, this is the chip i would recommend. But for a triple monitor build on 1440 monitors, 3570k on z77 is just not appropriate.

z77 is perfectly fine for single monitor builds, and on that platform you'll have easily enough capability to run any game you want at max settings and at high framerates.

If you are running triple monitor and want to be on nvidia based cards, then this is where x79 is a clear winner.

RIVF with 3820 is the most cost effective gaming setup on x79, getting you the 40 pcie lanes for almost the same price as a z77 based system. 3930k is nicer but more expensive. The fully unlocked multiplier will let you keep a nice overclock without turning off power management features. (for this reason i run my 3820 at 4.3 or 4.4 ghz as my 24/7 overclock, where if i had a 3930k i would probably be doing 4.7 ghz for 24/7 and i would have the benefit of the extra cores. My goal is to get a nice IB-E chip though so the 3820 is just a hold over until IB-E is released.)

Anyway since you're going single monitor -- no worries. Your 3770k based system will have more than enough horsepower, and honestly you'll save quite a bit of money by going single monitor. your target price range for that build can drop down to 2500$ or less.

Triple monitor gaming is certainly a lot more expensive. If you've never experienced it... You are missing out. If you have and don't think it's worth the extra dough, then that's your call. Personally i think it's well worth it and i will never go back.

Many of the reviews you will read which recommend the 3570k are NOT taking into consideration a 3 monitor build. I 100% agree with them that x79 is not necessary for single monitor setups, primarily because 3 way SLI is bottlenecked by other parts of your system at single monitor resolutions.

The real question you need to be asking yourself is whether or not 3 way (or 4 way, or quad SLI) will benefit you in the games you are likely to play, and at the resolutions you are likely to play at. There is quite a bit of evidence which shows that 3 way SLI is of little use to single monitor setups at normal resolutions such as 1080p. (they often yield exactly the same framerates as 2 way SLI), but there is also plenty of evidence which shows that 3 way SLI is a HUGE benfit for triple screen setups. (actually 1440 resolutions can also benefit nicely from 3 way SLI).

If you're still interested in reading:
    http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?&m=1625084&mpage=1
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages...review,12.html
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J2WQ6EsBO8
    Last edited by Xaanix; 01-01-2013 at 05:37 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Xaanix View Post
    3570k is a great chip, no doubt. For the vast majority of builds, this is the chip i would recommend. But for a triple monitor build on 1440 monitors, 3570k on z77 is just not appropriate.

z77 is perfectly fine for single monitor builds, and on that platform you'll have easily enough capability to run any game you want at max settings and at high framerates.

If you are running triple monitor and want to be on nvidia based cards, then this is where x79 is a clear winner.

RIVF with 3820 is the most cost effective gaming setup on x79, getting you the 40 pcie lanes for almost the same price as a z77 based system. 3930k is nicer but more expensive. The fully unlocked multiplier will let you keep a nice overclock without turning off power management features. (for this reason i run my 3820 at 4.3 or 4.4 ghz as my 24/7 overclock, where if i had a 3930k i would probably be doing 4.7 ghz for 24/7 and i would have the benefit of the extra cores. My goal is to get a nice IB-E chip though so the 3820 is just a hold over until IB-E is released.)

Anyway since you're going single monitor -- no worries. Your 3770k based system will have more than enough horsepower, and honestly you'll save quite a bit of money by going single monitor. your target price range for that build can drop down to 2500$ or less.

Triple monitor gaming is certainly a lot more expensive. If you've never experienced it... You are missing out. If you have and don't think it's worth the extra dough, then that's your call. Personally i think it's well worth it and i will never go back.

Many of the reviews you will read which recommend the 3570k are NOT taking into consideration a 3 monitor build. I 100% agree with them that x79 is not necessary for single monitor setups, primarily because 3 way SLI is bottlenecked by other parts of your system at single monitor resolutions.

The real question you need to be asking yourself is whether or not 3 way (or 4 way, or quad SLI) will benefit you in the games you are likely to play, and at the resolutions you are likely to play at. There is quite a bit of evidence which shows that 3 way SLI is of little use to single monitor setups at normal resolutions such as 1080p. (they often yield exactly the same framerates as 2 way SLI), but there is also plenty of evidence which shows that 3 way SLI is a HUGE benfit for triple screen setups. (actually 1440 resolutions can also benefit nicely from 3 way SLI).

If you're still interested in reading:
    http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?&m=1625084&mpage=1
    http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages...review,12.html
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J2WQ6EsBO8
    Thank you for your reply. My end choice was the i7-3770k/MVF Z77 and a single monitor setup, one reason is to not spend alot until 2011 socket Cpu's come down in price and I can upgrade, or newer better models come out in the ''Tick Tock" series of Intel.

Now with that all taking care of, Would you recommend a Single 690 $750 or 2x680 $475 Each/670$400 Each, while the 690 is my cheapest option for the prices I can get the GPU's at.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

if you are going with z77 now, you will not be going to x79, regardless of the price of the chips. Even though x79 still has Ivy bridge E on the horizon (compared to z77 which is dead), you are unlikely to upgrade your machine again while x79 is still in production, as this would mean replacing your board, which you just paid 280$ for.

Regarding the graphics cards...

690 makes sense only if you think you'd want two of them. Otherwise the 680s (sli) are your best option in terms of performance, and 670's are a budget option.

You can get 2gb cards since you are on a single screen.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Very good point, After more thought lol, and for $15 more I decided RIVF and i7-3820, going with the cheapest X79 Based Cpu, I dont see paying more than $300 for the CPU at this moment. So another question, Would it be worth it to go with the RIVE over the RIVF for gaming or no

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast