Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

No, my friend. This is a guide to get your RAM running at its advertised speed. We won't make any changes to the CPU at all.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Should I expect any BSOD?

There shouldn't be any because you're running them well within the manufacturer's specifications. And I'm sure the 3930k has a strong enough IMC to run memory at 1866MHz. So don't worry about it, mate.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Awesome.!thanks. I'll let you know how I make out.

New ROGer Array

General Question RE: XMP versus Manual

First off: Thanks Chino for taking time to make your guides + providing AI Suite Cleaner...Just what I needed today
    {I Made the mistake of installing AI Suite II + Gamer OSD + SmartDoctor + ATI Tray Tools + AMD Overdrive + Vision CCC - totally befuzzling my PC & Operator :P }

I know BIOS is King and try to use it exclusively for O/C'ng, but seeing as how I finally figured out Temperatures & consequently my incorrect Voltage settings are the main cause of my O/C'ng woes, I was looking to relate Bios Settings to Windows programs reported values as there seems to be no other way to make sense of unexplained readings and behaviors. To my chagrin there just is no one program or utility that relates to my Bios aside from AI Suite II which seems to cause more issues than it solves.

Okay, enough of ranting, my question is in regards to RAM.

I have one (1) XMP setting or I can Manually set RAM timings, I get that. Although you point out that one should enter the rated settings initially when in manual mode.

If I have DDR3-1600 Memory {via XMP} but I am setting a Bus Speed of 240 Mhz and selecting the third {3.33} memory ratio is this the correct target to shoot for ?

In other words, once I start changing Bus spds, the selectable RAM speeds obviously also change. Is it a good strategy to try to find a bus speed that gives a relatively close RAM frequency to the rated RAM speed ? Or should I just ignore the 1600 Mhz rated speed and accept w/e RAM speed results as long as it is below 1600 Mhz?

Thanks in advance.

Greetings, Lothyr!

Don't worry about it. Everyone gets carried away with AI Suite. After all, all the eye candy is visually pleasing to the eye. Personally I like HWMonitor because it's lightweight. It shows the temperatures for your CPU & GPU and the RPM for your fans. For monitoring the multiplier and such, CPU-Z is a nice one too. But if you're looking for a AIO program, AIDA64 is what you should look into. It gives you extensive information on all your parts, temperatures and even has its proper stress tests. But it's not a free though.

Overclocking on the AMD platform is an enjoyable experience. You have more freedom to change the bus speed as high as you wish. To ensure that you don't have stability problems, it's recommended to get your RAM frequency as close as possible to the manufacturer's specifications. It can go over by a few MHz, but just don't get carried away LOL. If you're using budget RAM, the headroom is going to be smaller of course. Maybe +/- 10MHz - 20MHz. But if you're using high end RAM, then you have more headroom to work with. For example, a lot of users are able to get the Vengeance 1600MHz kits to run at 1866MHz, with some tweaking of course. But that is a whole new subject, my friend.

New ROGer Array

Thanks for that, but I understand that I can overclock my RAM. How and how much can I expect to overclock it?

Hey there, cappycappy53.

Have you ever wondered why all RAM defaults to 1333MHz when you use it for the first time? If we look at Intel's official specifications for their CPU, for example the Sandy Bridge CPUs, you'll find that the supported frequency for these are 1333MHz. Or in Ivy Bridge CPUs, they support up to 1600MHz. It's the fail safe speed that your motherboard is guaranteed to post at. So technically just by setting up your RAM to run at its factory specifications is considered overclocking in Intel's eyes.

There's a phenomen that overclockes call silicon lottery. Although electronic components are manufactured in the factory by machines, there is no such thing as total quality management. Dued to the inconsistency in the manufacturing process, some GPU/CPU/RAM overclock better than others. It's in luck's hand if you get a good one or a not so good one. So I cannot tell you how far you can push your RAM. You'll just have to test it for yourself.

New ROGer Array

can i OC memory with different brand?
    Last edited by akpogi; 04-13-2013 at 02:39 PM.

Welcome to the Republic of Gamers forums, akpogi.

It isn't recommended to mix and match different modules from different manufacturers. Sometimes you can pull it off, sometimes you cannot. There isn't a 100% guarantee that you'll be able to run two different kits from different brands without hiccups.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast