ROG Enthusiast Array

Unhappy [RIVE] Mild OC, passes all stability tests but freezes AFTER exiting game

Hello, my problem is as described in the title. I am currently using the below setup:

MB: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8x8GB 1600MHz (1.5V, stock timings)
    CPU: i7 3930k (4.3GHz, -0.025 offset. VTT: 1.1V, VCCSA: 1.0V)

System passes 12+ hours of memtest86 and IBT. However, whenever I exit a fullscreen 3D game, the machine locks up after 3~5 seconds. This behaviour can be reproduced fairly consistently by running any games that run in fullscreen, and then exiting it. I know the problem has something to do with the overclock, because if use the safe default settings on the motherboard (stock speeds and voltages), the issue disappears.

So... I am here in need of expert advice. What setting could I change to make the system 100% stable? Seeing how stability tests report no issue, I am guessing the change will be something minor. I am just not sure where to begin. Thank you very much.

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array HalloweenWeed's Avatar

Try VCCSA 1.225V, VTT auto. I wish you good luck with your Vengeance. It sounds like your CPU is having prob's W/shifting from Turbo to idle - your settings. Also you should have several "current capability" set above 120% in "Digi+ power control" submenu. You also need
    Monitor menu:
    Anti surge support: Disabled

Perhaps you have not adjusted your LLC to medium?
    Last edited by HalloweenWeed; 01-04-2013 at 06:29 AM.
    i7-3930K; Asus RIVE; G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 4x4GB DDR3 1866; MSI 7870 2GD5/OC; Crucial M4 SSD 256GB;
    Corsair 1000HX; Corsair H100, 4x Excalibur 120mm PWM CPU Fan p-p, AS5; SB X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity Pro;
    Dell U2412m IPS 1920x1200; Cooler Master HAF 932 case; Tripp-Lite OMNIVS1500 UPS fully Line-interactive.
    (EVGA site: ) And I have a second (wife's) computer, Eve.

Overclocking is useless to me if it is not rock stable.

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array

Did you have upgrade the motherboard latest version bios?

Tech Marketing Manager HQ Array Raja@ASUS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Delitus View Post
    Hello, my problem is as described in the title. I am currently using the below setup:

MB: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme
    RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8x8GB 1600MHz (1.5V, stock timings)
    CPU: i7 3930k (4.3GHz, -0.025 offset. VTT: 1.1V, VCCSA: 1.0V)

System passes 12+ hours of memtest86 and IBT. However, whenever I exit a fullscreen 3D game, the machine locks up after 3~5 seconds. This behaviour can be reproduced fairly consistently by running any games that run in fullscreen, and then exiting it. I know the problem has something to do with the overclock, because if use the safe default settings on the motherboard (stock speeds and voltages), the issue disappears.

So... I am here in need of expert advice. What setting could I change to make the system 100% stable? Seeing how stability tests report no issue, I am guessing the change will be something minor. I am just not sure where to begin. Thank you very much.
    Increase Vcore first. That negative offset might not be sufficient for the target frequency being applied as you exit the game. You can ramp VCCSA to 1.05V as well.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Smile

Thanks for the replies. At the time of writing, I was running the latest BIOS (3301). All LLC were set to regular - I had read an Anandtech article about Vdroop being a part of Intel's design feature (http://www.anandtech.com/show/2404/5), and had chosen not to enable it in the best interests of hardware longevity and power consumption. Please correct me if I am wrong on this.

I have tried adjusting the VTT and VCCSA as advised, and the freezing issue did seem to go away! At the moment, I am in the process of finding the lowest possible voltages at which the system will not lock up. It is currently sitting on 1.125v and 1.15v respectively. It appears then, that the freezing issue was indeed caused by those settings.

And yes, I have read nightmare stories regarding the inharmonious relationship with the RIVE and the Corsair Vengeance series - if only I had knew about it before purchasing the set! I must be one of the lucky ones though, because I have had no trouble with the memory since day 1 - and I am not even using the EZ plug connector. Maybe it is because I got two matched quad-channel kits with the same specifications.

Well, I hope anyone else with similar problems manage to find a solution - it is great to finally have a 100% stable machine! Thank you everyone for your insight.
    Last edited by Delitus; 01-06-2013 at 11:24 AM.
    | MB: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme | RAM: 8x8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600 (CL10) | CPU: Intel Core i7 3930k (4.2GHz, -0.005v) | GPU: 2x ASUS GeForce GTX 1080 FE | SSD: 2x Crucial MX300 750GB | PSU: Corsair AX1200 |

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array HalloweenWeed's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Delitus View Post
    Thanks for the replies. At the time of writing, I was running the latest BIOS (3301). All LLC were set to regular - I had read an Anandtech article about Vdroop being a part of Intel's design feature (http://www.anandtech.com/show/2404/5), and had chosen not to enable it in the best interests of hardware longevity and power consumption. Please correct me if I am wrong on this.

I have tried adjusting the VTT and VCCSA as advised, and the freezing issue did seem to go away! At the moment, I am in the process of finding the lowest possible voltages at which the system will not lock up. It is currently sitting on 1.125v and 1.15v respectively. It appears then, that the freezing issue was indeed caused by those settings.

And yes, I have read nightmare stories regarding the inharmonious relationship with the RIVE and the Corsair Vengeance series - if only I had knew about it before purchasing the set! I must be one of the lucky ones though, because I have had no trouble with the memory since day 1 - and I am not even using the EZ plug connector. Maybe it is because I got two matched quad-channel kits with the same specifications.

Well, I hope anyone else with similar problems manage to find a solution - it is great to finally have a 100% stable machine! Thank you everyone for your insight.
    Pardon me, as I have never tried BIOS >1404; but where do you see Vdroop in BIOS? Are you talking about "Anti surge support" under "monitor" menu? You do need to turn that off to get a decent CPU OC. I consider a "decent" OC on the 3930K to be 4.4 - which you can do with the Vcore on variable "auto" BTW. But it has nothing to do with memory issues. If you see Vdroop in the menu, would you mind posting a pic for me?

Anyway, I'm glad to have helped. GL to you.
    Last edited by HalloweenWeed; 01-06-2013 at 05:22 PM.
    i7-3930K; Asus RIVE; G.SKILL Ripjaws Z 4x4GB DDR3 1866; MSI 7870 2GD5/OC; Crucial M4 SSD 256GB;
    Corsair 1000HX; Corsair H100, 4x Excalibur 120mm PWM CPU Fan p-p, AS5; SB X-Fi Titanium Fata1ity Pro;
    Dell U2412m IPS 1920x1200; Cooler Master HAF 932 case; Tripp-Lite OMNIVS1500 UPS fully Line-interactive.
    (EVGA site: ) And I have a second (wife's) computer, Eve.

Overclocking is useless to me if it is not rock stable.