cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73JH Black screen during games

DarknessPhx
Level 7
Recently, I've started having a problem where, while playing DotA2, my screen at a point during a match turns black, while everything else continues running. I got a second monitor and mirrored the images, after closing DotA2, a little while later the screen seems to flicker a little then go back to normal. I thought it could be an overheating issue, so I disassembled everything and repasted my GPU/cleaned up/etc, everything is now running in a much lower temperature, but the problem persists.
23 REPLIES 23

Pitcher1
Level 9
so you mean if you set are default, but play DotA2 still black screen? if you play other games still happen?
how many memory do you install? if two or more, could you try uplug to one memory to try it?

When I thought the problem was overheating, before repasting, I had tried Left 4 Dead 2, on the highest graphical settings it did blackscreen, but on minimum it didn't.

I have the G73-A2 I think, I didn't add or change any of the memory sticks, meaning I have 8gb. Could the problem really be caused by a faulty memory stick? I'd rather not have to remove any since I have no idea how to and afraid to break something, but if it's a real possibility then I guess I'll have no other choice.

A quick update, I arrived from work today and the screen now is blank independent of what is running. Restarting and/or closing and opening the lid seemingly has no effect. I'm going to attempt removing memory sticks as suggested, will report again hopefully after I'm done.

Edit: I have four 2gb sticks, since the 4th is of hard access (Requires almost a full disassemble), I decided to leave it on to try out. With only the 4th stick plugged in, computer would not start.

I then added another stick, totaling 4gb of RAM. Computer would start, main monitor would start but in less than 5 seconds go blank, while the external monitor would still function properly. Tried replacing the memory stick with the other 2 available, but got the same results.

I'm convinced that, if the problem is a faulty memory, the 4th untouched stick is the problem. But then again, I start to doubt that is the issue, since I believe a memory problem would affect all display, instead of just the inbuilt monitor, since my external monitor is functioning properly.

I am planning on disassembling the notebook again tomorrow in the morning, to replace the 4th memory stick.

I am open to any suggestions, and thanks in advance.

drdreo
Level 7
I got a similar problem with my G73..
I just get random Blackscreen during playing games like LoL, AC3.
9 out of 10 times when i close the NB wait 5 secs and open it everything is fine again. But 1 out of this 10 times it consists black.

I already did a RMA but they thought it was a temp problem and replaced the fans. Now i can play at 60° (yeay!) but only with an extern monitor.

dstrakele
Level 14
You are correct that memory is NOT the cause if a connected external monitor has no video issues. Your problem is most likely a defective laptop display OR a poorly-connected or defective LVDS cable.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

I'll be checking the cables soon, but one thing that really doesn't make sense to me is that the screen only goes out in a game, but returns shortly after I close it. If anyone could explain the logic behind it, I'd really appreciate it.

Also, how could I check if it is actually a defective laptop display?

DarknessPhx wrote:
.. the screen now is blank independent of what is running. Restarting and/or closing and opening the lid seemingly has no effect.

DarknessPhx wrote:
...the screen only goes out in a game, but returns shortly after I close it.

You sound confused... I'm only going to say this once - Stop smokin' them 'bath salts'!!

dstrakele wrote:
You sound confused... I'm only going to say this once - Stop smokin' them 'bath salts'!!

I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. At one point, the original symptom had changed to an always blank screen, but later it returned to the original state, where it works fine until playing a game.

Said games do not change the display resolution, since they are being played windowed, and even tabbing out of it for a short period sometimes may make the monitor flicker back to normal. Tabbing into the game again almost instantly causes it to go black.

There's a post above the one I quoted, but it's cut off from me, so that's all the info I can give on the matter so far.

dstrakele
Level 14
1) Does the game change the laptop display's resolution to a value that is not supported?

2) Other users have reported launching a game changes the display brightness to 100%. Perhaps that is where your defective display has a problem.