cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I thought it was better...

DjTyrant
Level 7
Hey dudes, hope everyone had an awesome x-mas/new year. 🙂

I have seen others post things similar to this but hey, what the hell. I am having fps issues with BF3.

My specs are below. Now even tho the laptop is about a year and a bit old I still rate it pretty highly...or so I thought. Even with the specs and settings listen below I am still dropping down to as low as 13 fps for a short time. If anyone would know how to get the most out of my machine it would be you guys right.

Any and all help/advice/criticism/abuse is welcomed and appreciated. 🙂

In game graphics set to:

res: 1920x1080
texture quality - Medium
shadow quality - Low
effects quality - Low
mesh quality - Medium
terrain quality - Low
terrain decoration - Low
antialiasing post - Low
motion blur - Off
anisotropic filter - 1x
ambient occlusion - Off

These are some settings I found somewhere saying they would help. I created a cfg called 'user' and have it in my origin\battlefield 3 folder. Not sure if they are even doing anything...have not executed or saved in game somehow.

PostProcess.DynamicAOEnable 0
RenderDevice.Dx11Enable 0
Render.DrawFps 1
RenderDevice.VSyncEnable 0
RenderDevice.ForceRenderAheadLimit 1
RenderDevice.TripleBufferingEnable 0
WorldRender.DxDeferredCsPathEnable 1
WorldRender.FxaaEnable 0
WorldRender.SpotLightShadowmapEnable 0
WorldRender.SpotLightShadowmapResolution 64
WorldRender.TransparencyShadowmapsEnable 0

:confused:
SPECS

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Core i7 2670QM @ 2.20GHz 53 °C
Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM
16.0 GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer Inc. G74Sx (CPU 1) 53 °C
Graphics
Generic PnP Monitor (1920x1080@60Hz)
3071MB GeForce GTX 560M (ASUStek Computer Inc) 50 °C
Hard Drives
149GB INTEL SSDSA2CW160G3 (SSD)
699GB Western Digital WDC WD7500BPKT-80PK4T0 (SATA) 30 °C
Optical Drives
MAT****A BD-MLT UJ240AS
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio
Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed
- Hunter S. Thomson
11 REPLIES 11

Gorman
Level 12
What you have is definitely fine for those specs. You could run it with texture quality on the highest, and with Fxaa enabled you could set AA post to 16x no problem.

In what situations does your FPS drop? It doesn't look like it's from the visuals.

DjTyrant
Level 7
Ok so something weird is going on here :S

As soon as I read ur post I went and changed AA post to high, and anisotropic filter to 16x, and BAM. I was getting around 50 fps with a busy screen. I had never really gone near those settings...16x anything can't be good for performance...or so I thought.

I then logged into another windows user and started playing and it was back to ****house. Even worse! (Now I forgot to tell you I have also been messing around in Nvidia Control Panel (NCP from now on) with the global vs application controlled settings...with no real goal, just to make it FASTER, and BETTER.)

So this other windows user is one I use for work, and I haven't touched NCP in it until now, which would explain the ****ness possibly. So I reset everything to default, changed the in game settings to what I want, got **** fps, then went and ****ed around in NCP for a while and now I'm getting OKish fps (40-47)...but jittery....it was never jittery before..and not stable.

So now I'm super confused. Why can't they just have one thing that does all the settings? There needs to be a course aptly named, 'Setting Up Your **** Properly So It Works Real Good'.

Oh and Fxaa isn't enabled in BF3 apparently.

I will pledge my soul to whoever can help me make my laptop fly like an eagle
Never turn your back on fear. It should always be in front of you, like a thing that might have to be killed
- Hunter S. Thomson

cl-scott
Level 12
Not sure this will necessarily apply, but I ran into something similar over the holidays, so might be worth a minute to check.

Amazon had both Darksiders games for less than $10, so I bought them. Went to play Darksiders 1, which even though I only have a first gen Core i7, should still far and away exceed even the recommended specs for the game, but I couldn't even run it at 720p acceptably. Then I noticed this little popup error message about a temp swap file having been made. Curious, I investigated, and found somehow the swap file on my system had been turned off. I flipped it back on, and I've been playing Darksiders at my monitor's native 1920x1200 without a hitch ever since.

cl-scott wrote:
the swap file on my system had been turned off.

Are you talking about a page file?

If so you should have that turned off if you have more than 4gb RAM.

Gorman wrote:
Are you talking about a page file?

If so you should have that turned off if you have more than 4gb RAM.

Yes, and no you shouldn't. The swap/page file should NEVER be turned off, unless you have a very specific reason, or just enjoy tempting fate with a good old fashioned thrashing state.

Gorman
Level 12
Windows starts paging at around 30% full RAM. Unless you want your system to be throttled you should turn it off once you have enough RAM.

Yes, I know Windows is badly designed and having no page file will stop it from some kinds of error reporting, but there shouldn't be a problem.

You will NEVER get in to a thrashing state if you have no page file, so I don't know why you brought that up.

Gorman wrote:
Windows starts paging at around 30% full RAM. Unless you want your system to be throttled you should turn it off once you have enough RAM.

Yes, I know Windows is badly designed and having no page file will stop it from some kinds of error reporting, but there shouldn't be a problem.

You will NEVER get in to a thrashing state if you have no page file, so I don't know why you brought that up.

Well, I guess we will have to agree to disagree on this one. I have actual evidence which I outlined above. A game that should be easily within the abilities of my computer couldn't even run at 720p acceptably. I turn on the swap file, and I'm able to run it at 1920x1200 without a hitch. Now granted I tend to leave a lot of things open. Firefox with a few dozen tabs, Thunderbird, Calibre, IM client, and I'm sure there's more I'm forgetting about right now. I tend not to close things. Maybe that had something to do with it, maybe it didn't, I wasn't really interested in digging that deep into the specifics, I just wanted to get to hacking away at some angels and daemons.

Gorman
Level 12
cl-scott.... It is literally IMPOSSIBLE for a computer to enter a thrashing state if it has no swap file.

Your issue was definitely not this. Perhaps you had a ton of stuff open and simply didn't have the RAM to load the game - however this is not a thrashing state.

Gorman wrote:
cl-scott.... It is literally IMPOSSIBLE for a computer to enter a thrashing state if it has no swap file.

Your issue was definitely not this. Perhaps you had a ton of stuff open and simply didn't have the RAM to load the game - however this is not a thrashing state.

Never said it was a thrashing state, so not sure where you're trying to go with that.

I was just saying the following: I have a system with a Core i7 870, 8GB of RAM, and a 2GB GeForce 550Ti. Darksiders has recommended requirements of a Core 2 Duo E6420, 2GB of RAM, and GTS 240 with 256MB of RAM. Before enabling the swap file on my system, I couldn't even run Darksiders above about 1024x768 and get reasonable performance. After enabling the swap file, it runs at 1920x1200 with no performance hitches. So, I have some concrete results to back up my statement about having it enabled. Granted, one example does not a conclusion make, but it is a result nonetheless.