ROG Member Array

Serious keyboard issue, please help

This just started today. Turn on the laptop, log in screen, type in my password ok. Desktop boots up, and all of a sudden, keyboard starts acting up. If I open a web browser, I can see that spacebar, / and ' are being "pressed" in this way " / ' / ' / ' / ' / '" over and over.

This also causes the touchpad to be somewhat unresponsive, and I can't do much of anything. However, I managed to open the Device Manager, and upon uninstalling the HID-compliant keyboard from the Keyboard section, the problem stopped, all of a sudden. As a matter of fact, I am typing this message with the keyboard that is having this issue. FN keys, backlighting, everything works normally when the driver is uninstalled. However, as soon as I Scan for hardware changes, the MS driver is reinstalled, and the problem returns. Same with a reboot.

What is going on, and what can I do to fix it?
    Thanks.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, this is G75VW, Best Buy version.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

Check out this post: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...l=1#post196875. The "Easy Keyboard Logger" malware is reported to be responsible for a number of different repeating character strings.

I would NOT recommend using the Easy Keyboard Logger Removal utility offered by Security Stronghold. It could be a Trojan that installs its own malware/spyware. The manual removal procedure they provide seems overly-complicated (you only need to delete folders and registry keys containing the string "Easy Keyboard Logger") to drive unsophisticated users to run their removal utility.

Booting into a Linux "LiveCD" distribution would help determine if the keyboard issue is hardware or Windows software related.
    Last edited by dstrakele; 01-01-2013 at 09:51 PM.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

ROG Member Array

No such software installed. And it is a software issue, specifically the Microsoft keyboard driver. As soon as I uninstall it, the keyboard functions normally.

As a side note, before checking the driver, I wanted to take off the key and see if there was something stuck underneath, and I broke the chiclet mechanism. Ugh, great start to new year.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

For the software problem, you could try:

1) Replacing the possibly corrupt or malware-altered Microsoft keyboard driver with a known good version.

2) Installing the ASUS keyboard driver (called the "Keyboard Device Utility" in the "Utilities" section of driver downloads for Windows 7 or 8 on the ASUS website).

3) Reinstalling Windows.
    Last edited by dstrakele; 01-01-2013 at 10:46 PM.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

New ROGer Array

try clean the KB and check asus website for download new driver.