cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G75vw-bhi7no7 -- looking for some advice

-joe-
Level 7
So, I bought the Best Buy G75vw-bhi7no7 the other day and was about to order up the Ram/SSD/Win7 upgrades when I stumbled on this site.
I have been reading threads all day now about issues with upgrading the OS from 8 back to 7. It has me wondering if I should return the unit and order one with win7 preloaded or if I should look into something else. So I have some questions...

1. My G75 came with Win8 preloaded, is it going to impact the performance of the graphics if I lose the Optimus(?) by switching to Win 7?

2. I bought the tech support from BB because they said the HDD to SDD was covered if I did it there. Does this sound fishy to anyone? Seems ify to me now.

3. If I just drop two OCZ ssd's in and run Win 7 pro, will it recognize all the hardware, and will the graphics card that supposedly was modified by asus, still function in concert with the onboard graphics?

Alot of great articles on here, really hope to get some advice on this. I am only on day 5 of purchase, so I have time if I need to return it.

Thanks in advance,

Edit:
Specs:
8g Mem
2g 660m
1tb 5400rpm hdd
Win8
6 REPLIES 6

-joe-
Level 7
No one has any thoughts/recommendations?

Pitcher1
Level 9
1. G75 have Win 8 and WIn 7 two system, you can choose which one you want it.
2. i think you can buy it and change it from BB, if no, here have post to teach how to change HDD by youself.
3. i think it are able to detect both two HDD, if you set correct.

yeah, I see that it comes with either, but they don't stock the Win7 version. I didn't know at the time that the GPU was modified by ASUS, so I thought a quick HD swap to SDD/Win7 would be easy-peasy. Now I see other posts here that say that if you bump it back to Win7 you lose the graphics work ASUS did to the GPU (660M).

That's my worry, was just hoping that someone here would have insight into that. Given the lackluster response though, I think I am just going to go for it, and see what happens. The Geek Squad assures me that if I have them do it, the warranty is still intact. I am game to keep the warranty for now. Will swap the original two ram sticks once that runs out.

Fire (username) had an awesome post about how to do a clean Win7 install, but it is only applicable to original Win7 installs. I am curious what differences there are to that driver list for guys going from Win8 to Win7.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

rewben
Level 13
hi -joe-, just don't worry too much.

whether it's a windows 7 or windows 8, it's no so much of a problem to make them run nicely. as long as you run the laptop with the drivers from ASUS (and stock windows), there should not be a problem to retain the functionality (whether it's about the GPU or other components).

to answer your questions:

1. My G75 came with Win8 preloaded, is it going to impact the performance of the graphics if I lose the Optimus(?) by switching to Win 7?
- optimus is about power saving. that means you can use your laptop for longer time on battery. it's useful only when you do anything without heavy loads. this is however not true if you play games. playing games consume a lot more power than the battery can handle, thus we always recommend that you play games when plugged in to an external power source to ensure optimal performance.

to be frank, i prefer optimus disabled (and i hope it stays disabled the next time i buy one of these machines).

2. I bought the tech support from BB because they said the HDD to SDD was covered if I did it there. Does this sound fishy to a1nyone? Seems ify to me now.
- well, it's good to have supports if you can afford it.

3. If I just drop two OCZ ssd's in and run Win 7 pro, will it recognize all the hardware, and will the graphics card that supposedly was modified by asus, still function in concert with the onboard graphics?
- i am running ocz vertex 3 and 4 in my g55. so far so good 🙂 optimus will likely be disabled if you use drivers from geforce, but i don't think that's a problem. we old model owners have survived without optimus, and we are not sad even if we don't have it 🙂

now the most important thing you should do is to make sure the unit you have received is good before the return period expired:
1. check temperature (CPU, GPU); to me just play heavy games for long hours will do. then check the temperatures of these main components;
2. check if the display panel had dead pixels;
3. check if the keyboard backlight, and fn keys are working;
4. check all ports (usb, headphone jack, hdmi, minidisplay, etc.);
5. check your LAN, bluetooth and WIFI connections;
6. check everything else that are common to your daily usage.

this way you can avoid potential issues later on (we buy the machine to enjoy it, not sending it away for repairs or RMA; so make sure you do your part to save yourself from all the troubles)

-joe-
Level 7
Thank you -

I will go ahead and do the SSD swaps then w/ Win7 when I can.

How do you check the temp on both the CPU/GPU? I used to have a probe for desktops, but I have no idea where that is now... Software perhaps?

I have no dead pixels, lights all work, WIFI works, don't think I have bluetooth, but will check everthing out when I get home. I am on the road now, will have to wait a couple days. Though I don't have anything Thunderbolt, not really worried about that port.

Appreciate the advice. Was worried about the gpu thing.

rewben
Level 13
for machines preloaded with w8, you might face minor road blocks here and there especially when you downgrade it to 7, but you can find answers to common issues here. in case no one is around to give you timely responses, please help yourself by searching this site using google (type "site:rog.asus.com keywords" without quotes)

hwinfo64, hwmonitor and speedfan are useful for checking out temp.