cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73JH, Sleep/Hibernating issues

Retired
Not applicable
Good day everyone!

I've had this laptop for almost a year, and from week one its a PITA for the most part and a pure joy in other aspects.

I recently had to RMA my laptop, simply would just power-on.. and that's it. Sent it in for the RMA and they replace all the guts minus ram/hdd/optical drive.

Now I get it back, did a fresh install of W7 x64, re-flashed BIOS, and did all the normal updates (expect SP1, having issues installing it), and all the normal drivers.

And the issue is, it ALWAYS goes into sleep. I've turned off EVERYTHING related to going into sleep mode. Yet after 5-10min of it sitting there, the laptop will go into sleep. It used to do hibernate but I turned that off in windows.

Even before the driver updates, it was doing the same issue. I'm frankly stumped at the moment. Cant run an over night apps, as it will just shut off now 😞
8 REPLIES 8

xeromist
Does it matter whether you are on battery or plugged in? I know that you said you already changed everything in Windows, but did you change all of the profiles for different power saving states & such?
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
Doesn't matter if its plugged in or not.

Close the lid it sleeps even quicker vs lid open.

Different power modes, even tweaked the advanced settings.

NOTE: When I did do my RMA, i sent in EVERYTHING, including battery and power-brick.
Upon receiving back it was a different power-brick, but same battery.

xeromist
Since they replaced your motherboard and you flashed your BIOS then the power saving and sleep state configurations in the BIOS will be different. Have you reviewed all that is available in the BIOS? Normally there is a setting to allow the OS to have control. You probably want to have this turned on so that your settings in Windows take precedence.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
xeromist wrote:
Since they replaced your motherboard and you flashed your BIOS then the power saving and sleep state configurations in the BIOS will be different. Have you reviewed all that is available in the BIOS? Normally there is a setting to allow the OS to have control. You probably want to have this turned on so that your settings in Windows take precedence.

Absolutly NO power options in the bios

I'm probaly going to have to RMA again. I'm starting to have a HUGE list of issues.

1. CPU/GPU Fans running at max
2. Temps, its showing 50c at idle with fans @ max, its shut off 3 times on me because of it.
3. under-clocked all the time! Computer refuses to clock up to 1.6 and higher, always stays locked at 994.5mhz. I can get turbo boost to work, but I need to run an app like "Throttle Stop".
4. Updating issues, I've hit a wall with W7 updates, i get all the major updates applied. Except SP1, refuses to install.

I'm not a happy camper right now 😠

Retired
Not applicable
Update:

Well its getting worse, over heats more frequently.

Also a new issues have come up!

1. Sometimes after a over-heat shut-off when I power it back on, it acts like its a 1mhz speed, even DOS/BIOS screens stutter and are very slow to draw.
2. USB/VGA/HDMI ports are all dead now.
3. Just noticed that my optical drive cover is broken on one end. Probably happened in shipping.

Looks like ANOTHER RMA, not even a full week! :mad:

xeromist
Bummer, but definitely sounds like RMA time. No configuration issue could be doing this. Hopefully they get it sorted right this time.

Retired
Not applicable
Well time to update this on-going yet! laptop issues of mine..

So I got my laptop back last week Thursday, and already the keyboard and the back-lighting are dead. No problem called Asus, that is on its way. However, I'm having MASSIVE thermal issues, not to the point the laptop is shutting down, but to the point where the i7 CPU throttles back sooo much that it'll drop to 300mhz!!!! And only occurs obviously when running an CPU/GPU intense application. GPU maxes out at 71c, while the CPU pegs at 105c. Looks like another RMA time, this will be the 3rd time in two months! What are the odds's of them giving me newer laptop? This thing is a JOKE!

irdmoose
Level 10
They might give you a new laptop, but it's totally up to the Asus warranty department, the RMA center, and whether or not the terms of the warranty allow for replacement with a new laptop. It sounds like the cooling system wasn't installed properly on the CPU this time. A couple of Asus' reps do go through this forum on a regular basis, hopefully they can get in touch with you and help you out.