cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Antenna Connector

Paradoxium
Level 7
Does anyone know what the particular name of the connector from the WiFi Antenna included with the Maximus V Formula is called so I can buy a better replacement? (The wire on mine came out of the connector..)

Also, why does the mPCIE card have two antenna connections on it, do you have to use both?

Thanks in advance.
9 REPLIES 9

billyray520
Level 10
I can't answer your question about the connector, but I have asked the question about why the need for two antennae myself. I suppose one is for the WIFI and the other is for BlueTooth. But that's just a guess. I use both antennas in my rig just to be on the safe side, since I use both WIFI and bluetooth. Actually, I have wifi disabled if the ethernet cable is plugged in, which it always is, but it's nice to have a backup plan. I would think you could buy another antenna/cable/connector thingamabob from Asus at a very reasonable cost.
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

billyray520 wrote:
I can't answer your question about the connector, but I have asked the question about why the need for two antennae myself. I suppose one is for the WIFI and the other is for BlueTooth. But that's just a guess. I use both antennas in my rig just to be on the safe side, since I use both WIFI and bluetooth. Actually, I have wifi disabled if the ethernet cable is plugged in, which it always is, but it's nice to have a backup plan. I would think you could buy another antenna/cable/connector thingamabob from Asus at a very reasonable cost.

Well I think I've found out that the connector is called RP-SMA, and this might be a suitable replacement. My biggest complaint about the ones bundled with the motherboard is that they were *white*. I mean seriously, the whole ROG theme is black and red, and you give us ugly white wires and antennas?

Those are nice! 😄 I'd rather have those on my rig than the squirrely white wire with round ends. Be interested to know if they definitely fit.
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

Paradoxium
Level 7
Based on this, it looks like they are definitely RP-SMA: http://www.allendale-stores.co.uk/wifi/info/connector_lookup_tables.html

And the specs on the TP-LINK website say it's RP-SMA: http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-ANT2408CL

So I think I'll be picking up a couple of these soon 🙂

chilinmichael
Level 10
Let me know how it works out, very interested in this as well. The white cable/antenna package they gave us I feel was pure garbage. Cheapest of the cheap construction, and yes, messed up the entire look. It's the only white cable/white item in my whole setup. Com'on man, you guys couldn't spraypaint them black? Not to mention wires are too short for me.

I'm looking at this:
http://www.tp-link.com/en/products/details/?model=TL-ANT2405C

Let me know how that RP-SMA connector works please, so I know whether to go ahead and order these or not.

*I'll be the "guinea pig" here and I've went ahead and ordered two of those through Walmart. $19.53 after everything said and done for both, not a bad price. Looks to have a longer wire too, which would be good for me. I'll post back how they work once I get them, which should only be a few days with site-to-store.
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.

chilinmichael
Level 10
Antennas came today, picked them up from Walmart and just hooked them up. I can confirm everything works, the connector was right and signal is much improved!
Asus G20CB - Core i7 6700, Nvidia GTX980, 16GB Ram, 256GB SK Hynix SSD, 1TB Samsung SSD.

Paradoxium
Level 7
Nice, I bought mine on Amazon and they still haven't even shipped, good to know they will work nicely though, thanks for the update.

chilinmichael
Level 10
Thank you for giving me the idea. I absolutely hated those white 20 cent pieces of.....yeaaaa. These came with way longer wires, allowing me to put them where I really wanted them to (one on each side of desk). Wire is of decent quality unlike the white ones too.

Does anyone know what is the name of the connector of Bluetooth and wifi antenna of Rampage V Extreme. My bluetooth cannot find any device when i try to scan a device and when it does find a device( a very very very rare case) my device must be maximum 5cm away from the antenna so that make me believe that the antenna bad or something happened to the connections on the mobo. Maybe i can find an external antenna.