cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grid Operation: Remove Battery or not?

andiherbst
Level 7
Hi guys?

Does anybody know if it negatively affects my battery when I operate my laptop on the grid and leave it in?

I like the idea of having a uninterruptible power source in case of power blackout... but I dont want to harm or even destroy my battery.

Thx, Andi
6 REPLIES 6

Brian_ROG
Level 9
I leave mine plugged in all the time for the most part, it doesn't last long unplugged anyway (about 2 hours)
Asus G75VW-NS72
Intel Core i7-3720QM 2.6GHz
16GB DDR3 1600MHz
750GB 7200RPM + 256G SSD
Nividia Geforce GTX 670M 3G GDDR5
Blu-ray Burner

"Right...very creepy. Forget I asked."
-Alistar DAO

Pitcher1
Level 9
what is your problem with your battery, i think you can unplug battery to use.

TSC-Ops
Level 7
i run mine wthout the battery all the time, no use killing the battery for no reason
Asus G75VW-BBK , 24GB , 2x256GB SSD , everything else stock

Paulovrv
Level 8
Don't know if it is true. I heard that unplug battery helps to keep the laptop cool.
Using or not, the battery will die someday, so I just use when I need it.
G75VW-BHI7N07: i7-3630QM * 32Gb ram Crucial * Windows damn 8 PRO
Kingston HyperX 3K 120 SSD + 1TB hdd (sad 5400 rpm)

cl-scott
Level 12
This gets asked a lot, and ultimately it comes down to a matter of personal choice. It really doesn't help or hurt the battery either way. For every point you can make on one side, there's an equally valid point on the other. Personally, I just leave the battery in because it provides ballast, and if the power suddenly goes out, and I'm in the middle of something, I'm covered.

Clintlgm
Level 14
I use my notebooks as desktop replacements, my Asus M70sa lasted 4 years with the same battery always in. The Video Card finally failed. I use my Asus G75 with the battery in all the time. I don't particularly cycle them either. I expect that If I'm lucky this battery will last as long as the computer does. Seems with batteries they either last or go bad no mater how you treat them. Seems it is a matter of luck. Just my perspective.
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro